Playing .AVI files

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Playing .AVI files

Postby bdoggy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:27 am

Hi i'm looking at getting a unit for my parents where they can stream their netflix over their TV but I would also like something that will allow me to hook-up an external HDD that allow's the play back of various movie files (avi,mkv,etc.) Do any Roku players do that out of the box without having to "hack" them? Thanks
bdoggy

Re: Playing .AVI files

Postby canaws » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:59 am

I was looking for the same thing a couple of months ago. I couldn't find anything that had both Netflix and external hdd ability. You can't connect an external hard drive to the roku box. People are working on channels that let you stream your local media to the box, but they are still in the beginning (and kind of complicated) stages. Plus, all the videos still have to be converted to a roku playable format in order to stream them.
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kumasuki » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Presently, the Roku only supports .mov, .mp4, .m4v - Other formats won't work. Not all of the channel solutions for local streaming from a computer are necessarily complicated to get up and running - check out www.sunimi.com (and their forum www.sunimi.com/forum).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby canaws » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:19 pm

kumasuki wrote:Not all of the channel solutions for local streaming from a computer are necessarily complicated to get up and running

I was thinking complicated for his/her parents. My mother barely feels comfortable working the box at all. I have to put movies/videos in the Netflix queue for her, so she definitely wouldn't be up to figuring up how to set up any of the streaming channels that are available right now.
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bdoggy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Yeah I didn't see anywhere where it said it would play off of a HDD but I was just kind of hoping it did anyways.

Yeah Canaws you are exactly right any additonal steps would be to complicated for my parents and with me living in another city I can see them easy getting frustrated.

Hopefully they come out with a box soon that will be able to do this, I guess I will look more into getting them a Blu-Ray networked player or Xbox 360.

Thanks again for the info.
bdoggy

Postby Narsh » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 pm

bdoggy wrote:Hopefully they come out with a box soon that will be able to do this, I guess I will look more into getting them a Blu-Ray networked player or Xbox 360.

I'm keeping my eye on the Syabas Popbox, which sounds like it should be out in the next month or so. On paper, it sounds like it will play a lot more popular formats out of the box. I'm waiting for some detailed reviews and user reports to see if it actually delivers.
Narsh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion