The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

Postby silentenigma5673 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:17 pm

I've tried resetting the hardware and everything. When I select "wireless" from the menu where you set up the internet connection, my wireless network doesn't show up. You know, where it says "select your network from this list". It's just blank. It worked fine before. Our PS3 and laptop have no problems with it.

What's going on with this thing?
silentenigma5673

Re: The Roku can't "see" my wireless network

Postby techn0lizard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Make sure that your wireless router has ssid broadcast to "on". I had shut mine down on a whim and had problems with a few things (even though they were already connected to the network). There are some things that will connect without it (just give it a network name and key and your good), but I'm guessing that either your router has it shut off by default, or you switched it off.

Even after you turn it on, it may be necessary to power cycle the router and roku.
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
techn0lizard

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:36 am

I have my SSID turned off and my Roku is connected wirelessly. So is my Chumby by the way. That should not be the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby silentenigma5673 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 am

My SSID is on. Any other ideas? Oh and thanks for the help, man.
silentenigma5673

Postby wxkeith » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 am

Do you see the option to enter your SSID manually ("not shown")?

My Roku stopped working on wireless almost two weeks ago and the wireless MAC address is showing up as "00:00:00:00:00:00" in the player info screen and "not shown" isn't showing up when I try to set the box up on wireless. The box just crashes if I hit any buttons while I'm on the wireless setup screen. Something went haywire with the wireless in my unit, so I'm trying to work through this with customer service.
wxkeith

Postby silentenigma5673 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm

It worked now. And here's the thing--- I didn't do anything. It just decided to work today.

I hope they make Roku's that behave better in the future. But if this one goes I may search for a completely different Netflix device instead.
silentenigma5673

Postby silentenigma5673 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:23 am

Oh the stupid thing's doing it again. We had a power outage and now it's all confused again. I need a generator on standby just for the roku. Anyway the "not shown" option never shows up on the list. Nothing does. There's nothing one can do at that screen other than push "up". aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg.
silentenigma5673

Postby microlady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 pm

One time I had this problem and turning on my SSID fixed it.

One time Nothing was seen and I was going nuts when a great tech support gal told me to try one simple thing.....unplug my Roku box and let IT reset. My remote wasn't working, etc etc.
Well, that worked for me. You might try it and see what happens.

Good Luck
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby jonmadison » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 pm

happened to me as well after a power outage. Did a factory reset, and all is well.

except i had to re-link the roku account again.

currently it's saying "synchronizing with account", so hopefully i don't have to re-link all my channel store services!

(update) -- no. looks like i have to re-link my services. ugh.
jonmadison

Postby kc8pql » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:43 am

jonmadison wrote:happened to me as well after a power outage. Did a factory reset, and all is well.

except i had to re-link the roku account again.

currently it's saying "synchronizing with account", so hopefully i don't have to re-link all my channel store services!

(update) -- no. looks like i have to re-link my services. ugh.

When you do a hard (factory) reset, it returns the box to factory conditions, so you start over and link everything from scratch. Unplugging the box or momentarily pushing the reset button does a soft reset and reboots the box, and retains all your settings and links. Do a soft reset first. If that doesn't help, then do a factory reset.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cjknapp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:23 pm

I am having a similar problem. I cam home today and the player was just frozen on the screensaver, so I unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Then I only had 3 of my icons, so checked the network setup, and found that it wasn't connected to my network and couldn't "see" any networks when searching for it (even though my laptop can see several with good signal strength in my building). I tried power cycling it again, and I tried a soft reset, and I even tried a factory reset but it still can't find any wireless networks at all. It sounds like the internal wireless adapter is toast. Anyone else have an idea?
cjknapp

Postby MajorD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:43 am

I have the same problem with my Roku. I have the original device and I can no longer see any wireless network. Its like the portion of the firmware is corrupt. I've power cycling and resetting the device but the Roku will not see any wireless network. Anyone know how to re-apply the firmware?
MajorD

Postby renojim » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 am

Go into settings and then player info. If your wireless MAC address is all 0's, you have a known hardware failure. Contact customer service and they may replace it for you. If that's not the problem, make sure you reboot your router and/or cable/DSL modem and try again.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cjknapp » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Good advice. I figured I was out of luck because the unit was over a year old and I didn't even buy it originally (I got it from a friend), but I put in a support ticket at the Roku website, and they told me to call the customer support number, and they're going to replace it for me for free. There's something to say for a company that will do that for you. 8)
cjknapp

Postby jafi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Lovely - I just submitted a support request. My power supply died - I spent $15 on a new one from Roku that just arrived. Plugged it in the box boots but now can't see any wireless networks. It worked great before. The wireless MAC is all zero's. I've rebooted the router, the Roku, done the reset and no luck.

Guess I'll be calling them in the morning - to at least try and return the power supply if they won't replace the box.

Does that mean I have to reauthorize all the additional channels I've set up? That's a pain. There should be an online backup to avoid that down the road....

Update: Haven't had time to mess with this much till today. After some combination of router reboots, being unplugged, soft reboots and factory resets it is seeing/connecting/streaming via wireless again. No idea what the magic trick was.
Crossing fingers there's no future issues.

Wish there were a way to back up all the channel info before the factory reset though - like in the Roku account for activation....
jafi

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion