connecting with TIVO and DVD player?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

connecting with TIVO and DVD player?

Postby slsilver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:15 am

My Roku unit works fine to get NETFLIX.
However I can't seem to get the TV to work normally (TIVO and DVDs).
here is my setup cable->TIVO->DVD player->ROKU->TV (all with composite cables; my TV is old and only has composite video (no component or HDMI).
how do I connect my DVD player to the ROKU unit. I have tried the composite cables in both the composite ports as well as the component ports but no luck: the TV only shows the ROKU input.
How do I get my ROKU AND my TIVO/DVD to work?
thank you
Steve
slsilver

Re: connecting with TIVO and DVD player?

Postby philsoft » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:37 am

slsilver wrote:My Roku unit works fine to get NETFLIX.
here is my setup cable->TIVO->DVD player->ROKU->TV (all with composite cables; my TV is old and only has composite video (no component or HDMI).
how do I connect my DVD player to the ROKU unit. I have tried the composite cables in both the composite ports as well as the component ports but no luck: the TV only shows the ROKU input.
thank you
Steve

The Roku is not an input device that way. You can't connect a DVD player to the Roku DVP. All of those connections on the DVP (except for the Ethernet connection) are OUTPUT connectors.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cwniles » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:09 pm

you can resolve this one of three ways....

1. Manually switch the input cables from the TV between the Roku, DVD and TIVo depending on which one you want to use. (unless maybe your TV has another input you are not using, perhaps on the front panel?)

2. Buy a switcher that will allow you to input multiple devices to a single output, switchable via front panel buttons/switches or a remote.

3. Get a new TV

There may be other options but none that come to mind at the moment....
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby jcmolet » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 pm

slsilver wrote:My Roku unit works fine to get NETFLIX.
thank you
Steve

I think option number two by cwniles is probably your best bet. For what it is worth, I personally use this RCA switch --
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008X5DF/ref ... B00008X5DF -- in one of my setups and it works well...plus it has a IR remote.
jcmolet

Return to Roku General