RedBox to compete with Netflix streaming.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

RedBox to compete with Netflix streaming.

Postby Crow550 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 am

$3.95 for unlimited streaming plus 4 dvds a Month?

To compete with Netflix: http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/04/r ... iness.html

Just a survey they are asking people. However of course people will say they want it.

The more competition the better.

Oh & Roku....Please make a channel for this. :D
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: RedBox to compete with Netflix streaming.

Postby Brad I. » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 am

RoadRanger wrote:
Crow550 wrote:Oh & Roku....Please make a channel for this. :D
That would be interesting seein's how NetFlix is an investor in Roku ;).

I thought Netflix sold it's stake in Roku...
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-roku ... lls-stake/

At $4 a month I'd at least try the Redbox streaming service. Add me to the hope it happens on the Roku list!
Brad I.

Postby jcmolet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 am

Brad I. wrote:I thought Netflix sold it's stake in Roku...

They did...to Menlo Ventures at the end of January.

I have no idea if RedBox would ever show up on the Roku DVP; however, the more players in the game, the better it will be for consumers.
jcmolet

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:39 am

This could be interesting. I wonder how they plan on doing it. Will they be like Netflix and spend the money on permanent catalog titles or will they be more like Stars and spend the money on shorter windows of more current releases.

I hope they go the second route. Have a smaller rotating selection of more current or bigger releases. that would supplement Netflix in a way that amazon doesn't.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby DeftOne » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 am

mkiker2089 wrote:I hope they go the second route. Have a smaller rotating selection of more current or bigger releases. that would supplement Netflix in a way that amazon doesn't.

There's a patent difference between the two, though. Monthly subscription (Netflix/Redbox) versus a la cart (Amazon VOD). In that sense, I wouldn't necessarily view Redbox as supplementing Netflix as much as I would it being a direct competitor, even if they had a smaller rotating selection of current/bigger releases. I mean, if that's the route Redbox went I know I wouldn't be shelling out an additional monthly fee on top of my Netflix subscription. It would be one or the other, with AVOD supplementing.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby jcmolet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 pm

DeftOne wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I hope they go the second route. Have a smaller rotating selection of more current or bigger releases. that would supplement Netflix in a way that amazon doesn't.

There's a patent difference between the two, though. Monthly subscription (Netflix/Redbox) versus a la cart (Amazon VOD). In that sense, I wouldn't necessarily view Redbox as supplementing Netflix as much as I would it being a direct competitor, even if they had a smaller rotating selection of current/bigger releases. I mean, if that's the route Redbox went I know I wouldn't be shelling out an additional monthly fee on top of my Netflix subscription. It would be one or the other, with AVOD supplementing.

Agreed. As it is now, Netflix (monthly subscription with generally older titles) and Amazon (a la carte with newer titles) nicely complement one another. As I understand what RedBox is considering, they would be employing a subscription model, competing with Netflix.
jcmolet

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Then what would you want from Redbox? The exact same catalog titles as Netflix? What good would that be?

I think of it as long term versus better short term. Long term is more stable and works for Netflix because we feel ownership of our queue both instant and disc based. The customer base demands it. Better short term would work for RedBox because their customers are used to a limited selection of new releases.

then again this forum should be skewed heavily to Netflix since that's why we are here. On other forums we may get very different ideas.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby DeftOne » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 pm

The only point I was trying to make was that I wouldn't consider Redbox as a supplement replacement (the current supplement being AVOD), primarily because of the fee structure. Faced with paying an additional monthly subscription fee or paying a la cart for the "newer/bigger" movies, I most definitely would choose a la carte. Unless all you watch are new releases, and you absolutely must see them ASAP, there doesn't seem to be any benefit. Netflix will get them eventually. For me, there's plenty of other, older stuff available on Netflix to watch while I wait for these titles to be added. And if I absolutely must see a new release I'll pay a la carte with AVOD. I guess that's just my preference.

If Redbox went this route, I don't think it would really appeal to me at all. YMMV.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby robertm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Avod and Netflix are competitors because they have many titles in common. I purchased a couple of episodes of Prison Break from avod to try it out now it is on netflix I don't have to buy anymore. Netflix hurts avod sales.

I would be happy if this turns out to be an HD 5.1 Starz replacement. Starz streams are so bad they are often not worth watching.
robertm

Postby mithrandir » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:10 am

If the Redbox service ends up costing $3.95 a month, I wouldn't consider it a competitor to Netflix. I would gladly subscribe to both!
mithrandir

Postby Village Idiot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 am

To me there's other things that are just as important as much as the cost and the plan.
Whenever i called Netflix i always got an AMERICAN on the phone who knew how to help me.
Village Idiot

Postby KennyJ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:42 am

Village Idiot wrote:To me there's other things that are just as important as much as the cost and the plan.
Whenever i called Netflix i always got an AMERICAN on the phone who knew how to help me.

I understand the sentiment... but I'd actually pay $5/mo less for an Indian. :)
KennyJ

Postby moviegeek65 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 am

Redbox only sent out a survey to select members, this doesn't mean they will have streaming soon.
Redbox is suing all studios except Warner(over first sale doctrine) so I doubt the studios will be happy to give them streaming rights.
If I was Netflix I would buy Coinstar(parent company of Redbox) or start a kiosk service, that would give Netflix more business.
moviegeek65

Postby jcmolet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:09 am

robertm wrote:Avod and Netflix are competitors because they have many titles in common. I purchased a couple of episodes of Prison Break from avod to try it out now it is on netflix I don't have to buy anymore. Netflix hurts avod sales.

I would be happy if this turns out to be an HD 5.1 Starz replacement. Starz streams are so bad they are often not worth watching.

Amazon VOD and iTunes are pay-per-view models and typically get movies soon after the theatrical run (or after a particular season ends for a television show). On the other hand, Netflix - and it appears RedBox - are subscription based models and typically get access to the material after the pay-per-view outlets have had them for awhile. While at some point all streaming/download outlets (Amazon, Netflix, PS3 Store, ITunes, etc.) will have access to the content, I think the difference is that when you pay more (Amazon and iTunes) you get faster access to material; therefore I see Amazon and iTunes as competitors and Netflix really being more complementary to those services. If you want to get the movies as soon as possible, pay a little more through Amazon or iTunes. On the other hand, if you want to pay less and you don't mind waiting a little longer, it will eventually make it to Netflix.
jcmolet

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion