AGAIN. No sound on HDMI from ROKU to my SONY DTN-1000

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

AGAIN. No sound on HDMI from ROKU to my SONY DTN-1000

Postby philhu » Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 am

Hi

I know this has been discussed alot, but I am again seeing the 'no sound' using HDMI to my Sony DTN-1000 rcvr or to my SAMSUNG 37" 5000-series LCD TV.

The analog sounds on the system work fine.

The symptom is that the receiver does not even SEE audio coming in. It usually has lit icons for stereo/5.1 channels rcvd. With my TivoHD or cable box, it works just fine. With the ROKU, no sound icons are even lit up.

I send the hdmi to my bedroom, no sound, and the component/digital sound to my tv in the den. That one works fine.

The SAME CABLE is used to send the tivohd or cblbox to the upstairs rcvr or tv. I used a remote HDMI swticher (note, it is NOT a splitter). I've tried different cable, reversing cables directly connecting device to tv. NOTHING works. No sound.

I have had this unit replaced 3 times so far. Same problems.

Calls to Roku are unanswered or ignored. I won't send the unit back again, unless they say they fixed this problem. I will just wait for PopBox and switch to that. Just thought I'd give my $0.02 worth on this. I have been fighting it for 2+ months.
philhu

Re: AGAIN. No sound on HDMI from ROKU to my SONY DTN-1000

Postby philsoft » Tue May 04, 2010 10:28 am

philhu wrote:The SAME CABLE is used to send the tivohd or cblbox to the upstairs rcvr or tv. I used a remote HDMI swticher (note, it is NOT a splitter). I've tried different cable, reversing cables directly connecting device to tv. NOTHING works. No sound.

Have you tried it without going through the switch just so that you can eliminate that as the problem? Does it occur on ALL titles or only on 5.1 titles?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby philhu » Tue May 04, 2010 2:17 pm

As I posted, I already tried it connected directly without the switch, same problmm

It happens on all sound, period. No sound, not even menu clicks, etc
Analog, and optical sound work fine.
philhu

Postby philsoft » Tue May 04, 2010 2:25 pm

It is odd, I don't know what the problem could be. Has it worked previously with HDMI?
philsoft

Postby philhu » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 pm

When I first connected it, it intermittently worked. I would have to power the box down and it might work for a few hours

it is not just a Sony issue as it doesn't work to the Sony rcvr, a samsung tv and even my mits dlp
philhu

Postby philsoft » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

philhu wrote:When I first connected it, it intermittently worked. I would have to power the box down and it might work for a few hours

it is not just a Sony issue as it doesn't work to the Sony rcvr, a samsung tv and even my mits dlp

Hmmm, that is very strange. Sorry I can't help on this one, because of the way I have my system set up, I connect with optical to my receiver.
philsoft

Postby philhu » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Ok, this is ridiculous

I just upgraded to a Roku XD/S. Exact same problem. No sound on hdmi.
The component/Digital sound works fine, the SD/ composite/sound works fine

The HDMI picture is amaznig, but no sound over hdmi.

Yes, I tried removing the hdmi switch. Yes, I plugged a tivo in and get fine picture and sound.
I was hoping it was fixed in the new box.

I guess I give up. I'll split the digital signal and send it up to the AV Reciever, and have it use video no hdmi and audio on optical for the av input

Sigh, I even bought a Boxx Box, which worked fine, but has a horrible bug-ridden-stupid GUI

*EDIT* Ok more testing......
The SOUND DOES WORK connected directly to my TV (Samsung 37")
The sound does NOT work to my DTN-1000 Sony rcvr, then to TV
All other devices work fine to the Sony Receiver
So the problem has changed a bit. Maybe I can split the hdmi and plug the hdmi into the rcvr AND TV. Problem is, the samsung 37" I have has horrible sound
philhu

Postby PinehurstBound » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 pm

This may be a horrible suggestion but have you tried different HDMI inputs on the back of your TV? I am having a similar problem...

I have cable/roku/and DVD player connected to a Sony receiver. A single HDMI connects Sony receiver to my Sony TV. When I power up, and only when I select the Roku source first (after reconnecting the TV side of the HDMI) will my Roku deliver sound to the TV. Once I switch sources to DVD or Cable and then switch back to the Roku, no more sound. I can switch between DVD and Cable all day long and both send sound over the HDMI to my TV. The only way to make the Roku work again is to switch the HDMI port at the TV.

My conclusion is that my Sony TV does not know how to change back to LPCM once it is accepting Dolby Digital. Although both formats are supported by both units, the on-the-fly switching of these formats does not seem to work.
PinehurstBound

Postby philhu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that the SONY AV Receiver doesnt seem to like LPCM at all

I connected the HDMI to the tv directly, and took optical from tv to the Sony receiver, with tv speaker off and it works, only in stereo though, a 'feature' of the tv, specifically listed in the manual for the tv.

So I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U1 ... ss_product

It is a hdmi switcher that give optical and coax digital sound output as well as switches 3 hdmi inputs. It fudges the EDID from the tv side of things to allow all sound formats (and it assumes you really dont want sound out of the tv). So you get your full 5.1,7.1,dts,true, etc out of the coax and optical . I only have 1 input so the switcher stays on position 1 always.

I then connect the hdmi to the switcher and switcher to the AV Rcvr, and optical sound to the rcvr and tell it to use that combo for that input (Input assignment).

.EDIT. The switcher came in and WORKS! Plugged
Hdmi in it and it to the av receiver. Worked out of the box!
It was pricey, about $75 and I wish they made a non switcher version as it would be about half price but it works!

Even better, the multichannel sound works in the hdmi cable and the optical/coax output cables!
philhu

Postby SixBox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue with my Roku N1000 and a new Samsung LCD. Via HDMI it drops audio and requires a reboot or TV reboot, HDMI replug to get it to work. There is no firmware updates for the TV and I'm at a loss on how to fix this? I also have the 1st Gen Apple TV which has no issues over HDMI so I don't know to blame the TV or Roku?
SixBox

Postby StellarRat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I had a similar problem with my old Sony AV Amp. No sound with ANY device when using HDMI. I just gave up and used the optical output from the Roku and my DVD player. However, I do believe there is some type of HDMI handshaking issue (green screens, no sound) with some devices and the Roku. There are simply too many reports of odd HDMI behavior to ignore and a lot of them go away when one device or the other is rebooted. Since it happens with a variety of equipment I'd say it's a Roku problem.
StellarRat

Postby karinj » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Hello, Can someone help me? I have no sound on my roku box at all. I have unplugged and reset just about everything and I still don't have any sound. Any ideas?? This has been very frustrating!!
karinj

Postby leslie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:02 am

I have the same problem with my LG TV. Switching between Roku and cable tv is a kind of a nightmare. Here's what I need to do: From TV remote, switch Component setting to HDMI. From cable remote, switch Audio setting to HDMI. The problem is that the sound level is not the same for both components, so when switching between them I hear ear-splittingly loud static until both setting changes have been made. This takes at least 30 seconds since I need to reset two different remotes, and it is annoying! The Component setting on the TV remote for watching cable is Component1. That needs to be switched to HDMI2. The audio setting on my cable remote for watching cable is Other. That also needs to be switched to HDMI2. :shock:
leslie

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion