How to stream from VLC?

Discuss your favorite third-party applications for the PhotoBridge HD.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to stream from VLC?

Postby wejones » Wed May 18, 2005 7:39 am

I have sucessfully streamed video from TSREADER to CinemaSix on the ROKU, but today, for the first time I tried to stream from VLC, and after 3 reboots, I finally decided to ask for help. Can someone tell me how to do this? Also, can someone remind me of the differences in capability between the various Roku applications that accept streaming, ie is there something other than CinemaSix which will accept streams from VLC?

Basically, what I have tried, is to go to VLC, and try to start HTTP streaming, however even though the progress bar on the VLC console starts to move, nothing is going through the network. So I thought I would go to the Roku, start CinemaSix, and tell it to go to the IP# that VLC is running on, but that just jumped back to the desktop screen, and then I couldn't go into CinemaSix anymore until I rebooted. Then I tried using UDP on VLC. This started streaming, but again, when I started CinemaSix, it just jumped back to the desktop, and I had to reboot. I also tried starting CinemaSix from the command line, but it gave me an error and wouldn't start. I think I called the .app perhaps I should have called the .cmd???
I tried some other combination, which I can't remember off hand, but basically I am out of ideas at this point.
Can someone point me in the right direction here???
Thanks
wejones

Re: How to stream from VLC?

Postby TheEndless » Wed May 18, 2005 7:45 am

wejones wrote:I have sucessfully streamed video from TSREADER to CinemaSix on the ROKU, but today, for the first time I tried to stream from VLC, and after 3 reboots, I finally decided to ask for help. Can someone tell me how to do this? Also, can someone remind me of the differences in capability between the various Roku applications that accept streaming, ie is there something other than CinemaSix which will accept streams from VLC?

Basically, what I have tried, is to go to VLC, and try to start HTTP streaming, however even though the progress bar on the VLC console starts to move, nothing is going through the network. So I thought I would go to the Roku, start CinemaSix, and tell it to go to the IP# that VLC is running on, but that just jumped back to the desktop screen, and then I couldn't go into CinemaSix anymore until I rebooted. Then I tried using UDP on VLC. This started streaming, but again, when I started CinemaSix, it just jumped back to the desktop, and I had to reboot. I also tried starting CinemaSix from the command line, but it gave me an error and wouldn't start. I think I called the .app perhaps I should have called the .cmd???
I tried some other combination, which I can't remember off hand, but basically I am out of ideas at this point.
Can someone point me in the right direction here???
Thanks

I don't think CinemaSix has been recompiled for the newer firmware, so if you're running 2.0.16 or above, that's likely the problem you're seeing.

As for streaming from VLC, TheatreSix was made for precisely that purpose. Though, again, I don't think it's been recompiled for the newer firmware either. You can get it here: http://www.portlover.com/roku/

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wejones » Wed May 18, 2005 8:18 am

TheEndless wrote:
wejones wrote:I have sucessfully streamed video from TSREADER to CinemaSix on the ROKU, but today, for the first time I tried to stream from VLC, and after 3 reboots, I finally decided to ask for help. Can someone tell me how to do this? .........

I don't think CinemaSix has been recompiled for the newer firmware, so if you're running 2.0.16 or above, that's likely the problem you're seeing.

As for streaming from VLC, TheatreSix was made for precisely that purpose. Though, again, I don't think it's been recompiled for the newer firmware either. You can get it here: http://www.portlover.com/roku/

TheEndless

Thanks. I "think" I'm using a "patched" version that was compiled on an earlier version 2 , not sure which, ie:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... =cinemasix

Peope have been saying that this version wasn't broken by 2.0.16, and I'm still able to use it for streaming from TSREADER, but perhaps there is something different about streaming from VLC????

Perhaps I should try the Andy O. version, which WAS compiled for 2.0.16 ???

In any event though, is there some special directions with respect to whether to start streaming from VLC first or start the programs on the Roku first, etc, etc?

I will look into the TheatreSix option as well, although I'm still confused a bit at what capabilities CinemaSix gives you that TheatreSix or the other couple of stream playing apps give, and visa versa.

I think I may also try the UdpLive program while streaming in UDP mode from Tsreader.

Thanks
wejones

Postby TheEndless » Wed May 18, 2005 8:27 am

wejones wrote:Peope have been saying that this version wasn't broken by 2.0.16, and I'm still able to use it for streaming from TSREADER, but perhaps there is something different about streaming from VLC????

Depends on the encapsulation method you're using in VLC. CinemaSix decodes Program Streams via software rather than using the built-in capabilities of the Roku (as PSs weren't supported until 2.0). Perhaps that's why it works with TSReader and not for VLC.

In any event though, is there some special directions with respect to whether to start streaming from VLC first or start the programs on the Roku first, etc, etc?

Again, this is why I recommend you take a look at TheatreSix. It manages VLC for you. Once the "server" piece is running on your computer, everything is pretty straight-forward on the Roku.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wejones » Wed May 18, 2005 8:48 am

TheEndless wrote:
wejones wrote:Peope have been saying that this version wasn't broken by 2.0.16, and I'm still able to use it for streaming from TSREADER, but perhaps there is something different about streaming from VLC????

Depends on the encapsulation method you're using in VLC. CinemaSix decodes Program Streams via software rather than using the built-in capabilities of the Roku (as PSs weren't supported until 2.0). Perhaps that's why it works with TSReader and not for VLC.

Again, this is why I recommend you take a look at TheatreSix. It manages VLC for you. Once the "server" piece is running on your computer, everything is pretty straight-forward on the Roku.

TheEndless

Re encapsulation method, I think I chose TS not PS, but I'll make sure.

Re TheatreSix, I just looked at that, and I don't think it will work for what I want to stream, because I want to stream a file extension that it doesn't index, ie .ty files. VLC plays .ty files fine, however if I read the TheatreSix documentation correctly, .ty files won't show up to be selected.
I can use other programs to convert the .ty files to MPG, but I'd really like not to have to do that, because now, I can play the .ty files back through my TIVO, and I'd like to have the option of playing them on the ROKU without losing the option of playing them on the TIVO, if that makes sense.
Ie basically, I've archived a lot of video that was extracted from the TIVO in .ty format. I can play it back through the TIVO, but it requires giving it a bit of a head start, because the TIVO network is SLOW, whereas if I could play it through the ROKU, it would be more convenient. However, I don't want to lose the TIVO option, because the TIVO has better capability relative to moving forward and backward through the file, etc.

Thanks.
wejones

Postby vj9999 » Wed May 18, 2005 9:00 am

Once video upnp support is released, it would make sense to assume that Roku's default image/video viewer will support http streaming?!
vj9999

Postby wejones » Wed May 18, 2005 9:24 am

wejones wrote:
I think I may also try the UdpLive program while streaming in UDP mode from Tsreader.

Just an update. I just tried to stream with VLC in UDP mode, and used the UdpLive program on the Roku.
This kind of worked, except that there were frequent (about one every 10 seconds or so) stutters of audio and video.
I don't know if the stutter glitches were caused by network speed (although I doubt it because I've streamed very fast sample rate HDTV from TSREADER) or if they were cause by some delay in VLC having to transcode the video or something else.
wejones

Postby arock » Wed May 18, 2005 11:50 am

wejones wrote:
wejones wrote:

Just an update. I just tried to stream with VLC in UDP mode, and used the UdpLive program on the Roku.
This kind of worked, except that there were frequent (about one every 10 seconds or so) stutters of audio and video.
I don't know if the stutter glitches were caused by network speed (although I doubt it because I've streamed very fast sample rate HDTV from TSREADER) or if they were cause by some delay in VLC having to transcode the video or something else.

I'm the author of UdpLive. Not sure why VLC streaming via UDP stutters, but it does for me too. The problem is not on the Roku side (assuming you follow the instructions in my README), since I get flawless UDP streaming from the sss program.

If you have two computers, it would be interesting to stream from VLC on one to VLC on the other. If that works over UDP, it would take a little debugging to figure it out.

_Alan
arock

Postby wejones » Wed May 18, 2005 12:52 pm

arock wrote:I'm the author of UdpLive. Not sure why VLC streaming via UDP stutters, but it does for me too. The problem is not on the Roku side (assuming you follow the instructions in my README), since I get flawless UDP streaming from the sss program.

If you have two computers, it would be interesting to stream from VLC on one to VLC on the other. If that works over UDP, it would take a little debugging to figure it out.

_Alan

Thanks for responding. I just tried going computer-computer, first from a 1.9GHz to a 400MHz, and it was pretty good, but a little shakey, however I think that is because the 400MHz isn't fast enough to display video very well. However then I switched, and streamed from the 400MHz to the 1.9 GHz, and it played flawlessly. I did, however change a setting, and that was I enabled caching, which I didn't have enabled before, so I tried sending to the Roku, this time from the slow computer with the same settings, and I still got glitches on the Roku display. They weren't quite as bad as before, but they were still there, with about the same frequency.
Not sure what any of this means, but it does show that VLC is able to send to another VLC without glitches. The file BTW, is about a 165MB file that runs something like 8 minutes I think.
Thanks.
wejones

Postby SteveT » Wed May 18, 2005 1:47 pm

wejones wrote:....I want to stream a file extension that it doesn't index, ie .ty files.....
I too want to stream my .ty TiVo files to the Roku. (identical reasons that you gave) I can play them fine on the PC in VLC, but haven't been able to figure out the command-line settings for streaming it. Can you post your exact settings to get VLC to stream .ty files?
As for using TheatreSix, maybe the author will provide the source, or provide a way to add additional extensions, because I agree that it works well as a VLC "handler"...
SteveT

Postby wejones » Wed May 18, 2005 2:30 pm

SteveT wrote:
wejones wrote:....I want to stream a file extension that it doesn't index, ie .ty files.....
I too want to stream my .ty TiVo files to the Roku. (identical reasons that you gave) I can play them fine on the PC in VLC, but haven't been able to figure out the command-line settings for streaming it. Can you post your exact settings to get VLC to stream .ty files?

I didn't use anything other than defaults, however I didn't use command line. I just opened a .ty file in VLC, then checked the box at the bottom that says something like stream output or something, and to the right of it was a settings button. Clicking that gave a window in which I checked UDP and entered the IP# of my Roku. Then clicked a couple OKs (and checked the cache button) to start the streaming, and ran upstairs and clicked the UDPLive button on the Roku display, and it started playing, however as I said there were real short glitches every 5 or 10 seconds.
At first, I didn't remember to change the /etc/sysctl.conf file ( or whatever it was) that the UdpLive docs suggested, however after I remembered that, I went back and did that, but it didn't make any difference.
I haven't tried the TheatreSix, but the docs listed extensions, and it didn't include .ty. Hopefully the author can just add .ty to the list, as it sounds a LOT more convenient, at least for me, because the computer is downstairs, and I get a lot of exercise running up and down the stairs, whereas it sounds like the TheatreSix can be done with the Roku remote if I understand the directions.
wejones

Postby SteveT » Thu May 19, 2005 6:20 am

wejones wrote:I didn't use anything other than defaults, however I didn't use command line.
<snip>
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give this a try.
SteveT

Postby wejones » Thu May 19, 2005 7:40 am

Just an update. Did a couple more experiments.
First, I was confusing files. File I'm testing on is 102MB, and it runs about 4:12 if size is a factor.

Also, tried commenting out the NTPD line in the /etc/inittab file. There were still glitches, but for some reason they were mainly in the audio, whereas before they were both audio and video. Since this was a music file, I'm guessing that the glitches are shorter, and I'm only noticing them in the audio.

Then I tried streaming the .MPG version of the file, ie not the .TY file, from VLC to UDPLIVE , and this transfer went flawlessly. This confuses me, because the VLC-VLC computer-computer transfer went well before, so I assume that there are no VLC transcoding delays, but the fact that in going to the computer to the Roku it makes a difference whether the file is MPG or .TY suggests that there must be a transcoding problem.
Only thing that makes sense to me, is that VLC isn't transcoding it into a format that the Roku can handle, but the 2nd computer with VLC CAN handle it, so perhaps there are some settings in VLC that I need to look at.
wejones

Postby SteveT » Thu May 19, 2005 7:14 pm

wejones wrote:....There were still glitches, but for some reason they were mainly in the audio, whereas before they were both audio and video. ....
I did give this a try and it worked, but I got audio and video glitches on the Roku, but it played smoothly on another PC.

I'll experiment with some of the VLC settings and let you know if I find any that work without the glitches. Please let me know if you get it playing smoothly first.
SteveT

Return to Third-Party Applications