No on/off switch?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

No on/off switch?

Postby kf9vh » Fri May 07, 2010 6:07 am

Anyone know why Roku did not put an on/off switch on their players? Doesnt make sence to me other than a cost savings on their part. Not very "Green".
kf9vh

Re: No on/off switch?

Postby KennyJ » Fri May 07, 2010 8:14 am

kf9vh wrote:Anyone know why Roku did not put an on/off switch on their players? Doesnt make sence to me other than a cost savings on their part. Not very "Green".

Because the player uses very little power. There are no moving parts. When it's idle (sleeping) it uses even less power. Most of the electronics in your house don't actually turn off either -- and are drawing power constantly when you think they're off: TV, DVD player, etc.

Also, if it was turned off, it would mean that you'd have to wait for a boot-up every time you used it. Because of the low-power usage, they made a decision to encourage people to keep it always on. If you are worried about being green, unplug it.
KennyJ

Postby kf9vh » Fri May 07, 2010 9:07 am

Could this be one of the reasons I see posts about power supplies giving out?

Excuse me for maybe asking a "dumb" question, but how long does it take for this thing to "boot up"???????????
kf9vh

Postby philsoft » Fri May 07, 2010 9:38 am

bregent wrote:>Could this be one of the reasons
>I see posts about power supplies giving out?

No. Power cycling is actually a leading cause of component failure due to thermal changes. Leaving a device on usually prolongs its life. The reason that power supplies frequently fail in all of Roku's products is that they are poorly designed.

I might reword that to say "They are INEXPENSIVELY designed" so that Roku can afford to sell an HD unit for $99 as opposed to buying a compatible power supply from Radio Shack for $40
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Fri May 07, 2010 9:39 am

kf9vh wrote:Could this be one of the reasons I see posts about power supplies giving out?

Excuse me for maybe asking a "dumb" question, but how long does it take for this thing to "boot up"???????????

I believe it takes about 2 minutes to boot. But you also lose all your cached information (eg it has to re-retrieve your Netflix queue, pictures, etc). Leaving off (i.e. unplugged) also means you'd miss an auto-updates on firmware.
KennyJ

Postby KennyJ » Fri May 07, 2010 9:41 am

philsoft wrote:

No. Power cycling is actually a leading cause of component failure due to thermal changes. Leaving a device on usually prolongs its life. The reason that power supplies frequently fail in all of Roku's products is that they are poorly designed.

I might reword that to say "They are INEXPENSIVELY designed" so that Roku can afford to sell an HD unit for $99 as opposed to buying a compatible power supply from Radio Shack for $40

No.. I think they're badly designed. They seem to have a high failure rate. There are plenty of other inexpensive electronics that don't seem to have the same amount of complaints for failed PSs. My guess is that Roku picked a bad supplier.

Of course... none of us actually know how bad the failure rate is. It could be something like 1% in the first year . . . yet that 1% comes to the forums to complain. I've had my Roku for over 2 years now and my PS is still working.
KennyJ

Postby philsoft » Fri May 07, 2010 9:47 am

KennyJ wrote:
philsoft wrote:

No.. I think they're badly designed. They seem to have a high failure rate. There are plenty of other inexpensive electronics that don't seem to have the same amount of complaints for failed PSs. My guess is that Roku picked a bad supplier.

Of course... none of us actually know how bad the failure rate is. It could be something like 1% in the first year . . . yet that 1% comes to the forums to complain. I've had my Roku for over 2 years now and my PS is still working.

To me it is like... If I go out and buy a Cessna twin engine for hundreds of thousands of dollars, I expect it to last a lot longer than an ultralight that I buy for 4 grand. If Roku used 40 dollar power supplies they would last longer without a doubt, but the DVP would cost 30 dollars more. Yeah, they cut corners on the PS, but I always have the option of spending the extra and buying a $40 one myself, or not if I don't want to. I STILL can't believe that they sell replacement power supplies for ONLY 10 BUCKS. Look around and try to find a power supply that supplies 1.5 Amps or more from any other source for 10 bucks.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cwniles » Fri May 07, 2010 7:00 pm

My Roku is unplugged when not in use....just plug it in when you want to use it and by the time you make it back to the lazyboy, it's good to go.

I also transport my Roku daily between home and the office by throwing it, with the power supply attached in a bag with the remote which in turn gets tossed in the back seat of the truck.....I think my PSU gets a pretty solid workout and does not seem poorly made.

maybe I got one of the good ones......
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Return to Roku General