Box stopped working?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Box stopped working?

Postby rudyking » Thu May 20, 2010 2:19 pm

So I was watch "The IT crowd" and after the fifth episode my box just restarted. When it came up again, the main menu was really big and looked like it got stretched. I went into the settings menu, and tried to go into the display settings. Then my box restarted again.

Well, it was in a startup loop. It would say "Start, please wait", then it would load the Rolu logo, then it would go blank and start over. After two time of this I unplugged my box.

Now it won't even power up. When I plug in the power cable nothing. Not even the Ethernet port powers up.

So is my box dead or the power supply? I can't tell right now.
rudyking

Re: Box stopped working?

Postby KennyJ » Thu May 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Have you tried a hard reset? That would be the first thing I tried. I believe you unplug the box, press and hold the reset button while you plug back in the box then hold the reset for about 30 seconds (after you plug it back in) and let go.
KennyJ

Postby philsoft » Thu May 20, 2010 2:28 pm

rudyking wrote:So I was watch "The IT crowd" and after the fifth episode my box just restarted. When it came up again, the main menu was really big and looked like it got stretched. I went into the settings menu, and tried to go into the display settings. Then my box restarted again.

Well, it was in a startup loop. It would say "Start, please wait", then it would load the Rolu logo, then it would go blank and start over. After two time of this I unplugged my box.

Now it won't even power up. When I plug in the power cable nothing. Not even the Ethernet port powers up.

So is my box dead or the power supply? I can't tell right now.

Most likely the power supply. You can order a replacement here
http://shop.roku.com/Webpage2.aspx?WebpageId=2
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby rudyking » Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 pm

So, I tried the hard reset. Nothing. So my guess is new power supply.

Thanks guys!
Man I'm bummed, I've had my box probably close to two years now. :-(
rudyking

Postby RAV » Fri May 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Went to use my box tonight. No functions.

Checked the remote batteries - both OK.

Checked the power supply with my meter - plug is putting out 5.4v DC.

Box is cold.

Plugged and unplugged unit. No change.

Box is plugged into my Home Theater surge supressor and has not been moved or manipulated in months.

Need to get some service on this.
OTA HD TV - keep down the cable monopoly
RAV

Postby kc8pql » Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 pm

RAV wrote:Went to use my box tonight. No functions.

Box is cold.

Box is plugged into my Home Theater surge supressor and has not been moved or manipulated in months.

99% chance it's the power supply. The typical failure mode is outputting 5.XX volts but can't push enough amperage under load the run the box.
kc8pql

Postby RAV » Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

kc8pql wrote:
RAV wrote:Went to use my box tonight. No functions.

Box is cold.

99% chance it's the power supply. The typical failure mode is outputting 5.XX volts but can't push enough amperage under load the run the box.

Just checked the unit with another supply that put out 2.0 amps instead of the original 1.5 amps. Box works well. Was a little concerned about the extra .5 amps but noticed the current (replacement) power supply puts out 2.5 amps.

I'm going to contact Roku, discuss this, and get a replacement.
OTA HD TV - keep down the cable monopoly
RAV

Postby djwilso » Wed May 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Looks like my power supply has also bit the dust.

It's putting out 5.4 volts on my meter but the box won't start up at all.

I've had my Roku since June of 2008 so it didn't quite make it a full two years.

Hopefully the new replacement that I just ordered is not going to die in another two years...
Roku 3 [Wired] 1GN381037973 -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-2809CI -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-80LE844U
ISP: Cox Communications, 25mbps down / 5mbps up
Router: Netgear R6300 V1.0.2.70_1.0.50
Cable Modem: Motorola SB6121
Time zone: Arizona (UTC-7)
djwilso

Postby kc8pql » Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 pm

RAV wrote:
Just checked the unit with another supply that put out 2.0 amps instead of the original 1.5 amps. Box works well. Was a little concerned about the extra .5 amps but noticed the current (replacement) power supply puts out 2.5 amps.

A power supply that can supply more current than a device requires is not a problem. It will only draw as much amperage as it needs. It's the other way around that would be a problem, i.e. running a device that draws 1.5 amps on a power supply that can't provide that much.
kc8pql

Postby iamos » Wed May 26, 2010 6:42 pm

My box failed to turn on today, also one of the original netflix boxes. It fired up with my other power supply, guess it's time to order a new one. :/
iamos

Postby Mitiori » Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Another original Roku box that just stopped working! Fatal flaw? Suicide pact? Disappointing for sure.
Mitiori

Postby dmon4u » Fri May 28, 2010 8:40 pm

My Box has Software/connection problems

Tried the Update and it could not get verification so no go.
Did Reset, and now it says can not connect to ROKU, so
I'm stuck at the Guided Setup and have a Box that will do nothing.
dmon4u

Postby Mitiori » Sat May 29, 2010 9:35 am

Where is Roku customer support commenting on this strange sequence of events?
Mitiori

Postby unclebob » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:01 am

Mitiori wrote:Where is Roku customer support commenting on this strange sequence of events?

Nothing strange about power supplies ceasing function. Roku obviously knows the ps to be a weak point as they make it available as as "accessory"for $10. What should they say? "In order to keep the price below $100, we provide the Roku with a cheap, easily replaced power supply."

I bought my Roku in the first month of its release, and had to replace the ps a couple of months ago, after a series of power failures and surges hit my apt building. The same event fried my PC -- I work at home and had to miss work for a few days, so the sawbuck was the least of my concerns.

If your power supply fails, it's likely due to variables in your house current, unless you keep it on a high-end UPS/surge protector. But even in the best conditions a ps will just plain die of age eventually, and inexpensive power units like the Roku's are not designed for longevity.
unclebob

Postby Mitiori » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 am

I can concede the point about keeping the cost down with some substandard parts. And I'm happy to report that the new adapter works and my box is working. Funnily, it's working better than it was before - I had no idea there was an indicator light on the box. That never lit up before in the 2 yrs that I've had it. If it keeps working another 2 yrs and all I need is a new adapter than I am very pleased with my purchase.
Mitiori

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion