netflix broken tonight?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: netflix broken tonight?

Postby Steve244 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Atlanta, same problem. Tries to load the netflix main page and ends up timing out with "check network connections." All other providers are streaming fine.

Disabling browse and search has little effect; it still times out trying to download my queue (475 movies in queue...).

Bound to be some problems serving the new menus. I bet the engineers at Netflix are sweating bullets (unless Roku serves up Netflix's menu pages).

Glad I don't work in IT. No... wait. d'oh.
Steve244

frustrating

Postby macjaz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Still broken here in Michigan. I noticed it around 7:00 pm. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. If its a software problem then let us downgrade to the older version. reminds me of people who downgraded (upgraded?) to Windows XP from Vista
macjaz

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Steve244 wrote: I bet the engineers at Netflix are sweating bullets (unless Roku serves up Netflix's menu pages).

You're right. Netflix serves up the menu.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Meldep » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Still looking for the UNDO button. Two nights in a row. Maybe they can put a wallpaper image or something on the "retrieving..." screen. At least while we are staring at it for minutes until it times out we can be looking at something more pleasant than a boring gray background. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up and it will all be fixed.... Or maybe they will have reverted back! One can only hope...
Meldep

Postby Steve244 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Seems to work fine during the day. It's just when the user population goes up during "primetime" (casual observation...) they start having problems.

My guess is they'll either optimize it quickly or fall-back until they get more servers.

But hey, the cold war era educational films are streaming fine from Archive.org!
Steve244

Postby ebklein » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 am

I'm having problems connecting also. No problem with Amazon - only Netflix. I see that trouble turned up on 6/4/ Still hasn't been fixed by Roku/Netflix!!!!
ebklein

Postby techn0lizard » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:45 pm

6/6/10 Netflix stuck on retrieving...tried reboot, tried turning off search under netflix options, no joy.....too bad this is not something we can get our money back on :shock: please give me back the old UI, at least I can watch movies on the Netflix channel then!
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
techn0lizard

Postby mbtx » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:02 pm

6/6/10, TX: For the third night in a row, unable to watch Netflix, it's stuck at "retrieving" or the "unable to connect" thing everyone else is getting. Rebooted, factory reset, etc, and no change. All the other channels work fine, N'flix works fine during the day, although it's been slower until I disabled the new search function, still not great, though. I like the idea behind the search and recommend functions of this update, but it's obviously buggy. Guess I'll watch some Moonlight Movies, till you get this fixed. :(
mbtx

Postby RokuJon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:06 pm

We are aware of the problems that manifested againt tonight around 7:30PM Pacific.

We are working to address this and will update the forums as soon as we have any new information.
RokuJon

Postby RickF » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 pm

6/6/2010 CA: Same thing here in San Diego. The new update seemed to work the first day I downloaded but has not been reliably since then. Now it just says "Retrieving" then dumps me back to the home screen. Hoping for a solution soon.
RickF

after a few attempts at a fix, new problem appears

Postby natebot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:26 pm

I am having a similar problem. I returned from vacation to find the new update had been pushed to my Roku player. The retrieving message would display for several seconds then it kicks me back to the channels screen. After 5 different attempts at a fix, now I cannot even get the Netflix channel to start.

trouble-shooting prep:
I confirmed that netflix is streaming to my network by using my laptop. I confirmed that other channels work (Pandora, Revision3). Probably should have looked up this forum before proceeding but here are my attempts:

Attempt 1: Hard reboot. Experience same problem.
Attempt 2: Deactivate player from netflix. reboot. activate player on netflix. experience same problem.
Attempt 3: Reduce Watch Now Queue to 55 titles. reboot. Experience same problem.
Attempt 4: Disable the search function for the new UI. Experience same problem.
Attempt 5: Remove Netflix channel from device. Reboot. Add Netflix channel to device. New problem appears: selecting the Netflix channel does not start Netflix application. No beep sound, no activity when button pushed. Other channels act normally.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm guessing that maybe, if it is a Netflix engineering issue, we have to wait for them to provided a fix. Hopefully it will resolve my issue too.
natebot

Postby RokuJon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:13 pm

There is a known bug requiring a reboot after re-installing the Netflix channel.

If you reboot, you should be back working again. There was a problem on the backend earlier this evening that was most likely causing your other symptoms. Those problems have been resolved.

Thanks.
RokuJon

Postby Patty1515 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 am

Tonight is the first time I've ever experienced a problem with Netflix. I too am getting a "connection error" from my Roku box while in Netflix. I'm connected via wired ethernet, have a 10mbps network, and all other Roku channels I subscribe to seem to be working fine. I've rebooted my box, checked my settings, I'm at a loss. I've read other posts stating problems w/ netflix yesterday, but they all seem to say they're back up and running properly now. When I go into Netflix it takes way longer than normal to retrieve the home page. My IW que only populates maybe 10 poster views of my movies and all others are blank. Same for search. Genres, and all other categories are totally blank. Not even the outline of a movie poster. Within 15 seconds of moving around the que, the connection error appears and all I can do is return to the Roku channels page. When I re-enter Netflix, it loads quicker, but I get the same results.

We have been having connection issues since Friday night. It sounds exactly like your issue. While scanning through the queue, the first few poster photos show, the others are just a gray box with a dotted circle arrow in them. In many cases, we couldn't even get the search or other choices to work at all. Last night, it was better, but when scanning through the possible choices, I kept getting the "connection error". I checked the connection on the roku box, even re-setting it up. I re-booted the box, all with the same results.

We're currently running with a wireless connection, I had planned to run a wire to the roku sometime this afternoon to see if that helps.
Patty1515

Postby jkunysz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 am

I experienced the same issues after upgrading to the new interface. I have a wired connection, connections to other sources (ie MotionBox, etc) worked fine so it's not a network issue. Netflix would timeout at times and at other times it was extremely slow to respond. I was away all weekend but I'll give it a go tonight and see if its better.

I also have a tivoHD and Netflix appeared to operate OK from it once I rebooted the tivoHD.

Streaming from a computer had no issues.
jkunysz

Postby techn0lizard » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:33 am

As previously stated in this forum, it works now, during the day, will post when it goes wonky (if) and give a time....
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
techn0lizard

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion