Internet Browsing Channel??

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Internet Browsing Channel??

Postby paulhb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Can a New Channel be made available that would allow a General Free-Form Internet Browsing Window to open up which would allow a Roku Digital Video Player user to Browse and Surf the internet on their television?
It seems to me that there should be a way for a Keyboard and Mouse to be connected either wirelessly or via a cable connection to the back of the Roku Digital Video Player which allow a user to control a Browser Window that would be selected and open up just like any other Channel. The Keyboard interaction should allow the user to type in a URL that the user wants to access and browse to on their television via the Roku Digital Video Player.
Why is or is this not this possible?
paulhb

Re: Internet Browsing Channel??

Postby digitize » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Great concept....would it be asking too much for even just a google search?
digitize

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Won't work. The box isn't a PC.
RokuTaylor » Tue May 20, 2008 5:46 pm
1) There is very little memory on the board. Just enough to buffer a few minutes of video if your bandwidth gets congested temporarily. Just enough flash memory for the software. Instant viewing is done by buffering the minimum video the box thinks it needs to avoid interruption due to variable bit rate encoding.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jcmolet » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm

This topic has been covered pretty thoroughly in the past. Here are a couple of threads that will probably provide answers to your questions:

Possible to add a Web browser to the Roku? -- viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25986&p=165918&hilit=browser#p165918

can this be done with the Roku player? -- viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26527&p=163814&hilit=browser#p163814
jcmolet

Postby mattjfox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm

kc8pql wrote:Won't work. The box isn't a PC.
1) There is very little memory on the board. Just enough to buffer a few minutes of video if your bandwidth gets congested temporarily. Just enough flash memory for the software. Instant viewing is done by buffering the minimum video the box thinks it needs to avoid interruption due to variable bit rate encoding.

Rediculous of course it will its not like the Internet is too power intensive...
mattjfox

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm

mattjfox wrote:
kc8pql wrote:Won't work. The box isn't a PC.

Rediculous of course it will its not like the Internet is too power intensive...

Let's just sum it up with the fact that the box can't do. It doesn't have a real CPU, no memory to speak, and no space to store the programs needed for web surfing. You could make a text only browser perhaps but no one would use it. This has been discussed to many times before however. See the quoted threads above.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 pm

MORE than a year old thread. Read the forum guidelines, please.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion