How to "hide" a channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: How to "hide" a channel?

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 am

robertm wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:the problem with that is you have to rate everything and worse roku would have to sort everyone out individually as to how they rated stuff.
My idea was simple - tier layer by category.
you could skip categories of no interest to you.
it would be set the same for everyone so roku wouldnt have to keep track of how you voted
and no rating or work on your part.

Categories are no good because TV can have tons of channels for foreign TV shows that are of no interest. Movies are the same way. Roku, the company, doesn't have to store anything. It can be stored on my local player and sorted locally. It would be 1 extra byte per channel and a small sorting routine. Nothing could be easier. The best news is that once I have tried a channel and decided I don't like it I don't have to worry that in 6 months I might forget and waste time discovering I don't like it all over again. By the same token, if I think a channel has potential but not enough content for it to make the line-up right now or maybe it was buggy, I can rate it accordingly and try it again at some later time to see if it had gotten better.

The problem i see with organizing it yourself is if your system crashes, need to be rest , or whatever you're back at square one.
And thanks whatever you did it now works when i quote
Also while right now its not a hassle image a year or two from now.
Newbies have trouble as it it. Imagine the troubles they have trying to organize everything from the get go.
Village Idiot

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 am

Are these the same newbies that can figure out how to buy a roku at walmart? Anyone who uses netflix is accustomed to rating. I know I have over 50k ratings on netflix.

After a crash the priority would be getting the channels you used back in the line-up. Even if you had 40 or 50 it would not take long to rate them so they appear in the order you want. Then you could re-rate the rest in the channel store at your leisure.

The other problem with categories would be private channels. As time goes on there may be a significant number of private channels that would also need to be organized. You wouldn't want 40 private channels under a private channel category.

Rating would be similiar to organizing your queue. Is there anyone with netflix that doesn't understand rating and organizing a queue?
robertm

Postby philsoft » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:11 am

robertm wrote:Are these the same newbies that can figure out how to buy a roku at walmart?

Well played :)
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:12 pm

robertm wrote:Are these the same newbies that can figure out how to buy a roku at walmart? Anyone who uses netflix is accustomed to rating. I know I have over 50k ratings on netflix.

After a crash the priority would be getting the channels you used back in the line-up. Even if you had 40 or 50 it would not take long to rate them so they appear in the order you want. Then you could re-rate the rest in the channel store at your leisure.

The other problem with categories would be private channels. As time goes on there may be a significant number of private channels that would also need to be organized. You wouldn't want 40 private channels under a private channel category.

Rating would be similiar to organizing your queue. Is there anyone with netflix that doesn't understand rating and organizing a queue?

Re-rate them ?
considering how often ( especially lately ) i had to unplug and replug roku i would hate to keep re-rating stuff
you don't have a problem with a mile long left2right scroll for all your channels
but you would have a problem with tier categories ? Which wouldn't be as long to scroll through.
especially considering you could skip whole tier categories of no interest or even no interest at the moment.
if you get wanted a sports channel at the moment you tier down to sports and there you are.
How is that harder then going through every single channel you have until you get to that sport channel ?
this is in essence what Netflix did and it works great.
And YES I'M STILL FOR SELLING ROKU IN WAL-MART
because if roku has a tier system like Ntflix has for channels those Wal-Mart shoppers will be able to handle it just fine.
Village Idiot

Postby scyber » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 pm

I think it'd be easier to simply order the channels by the frequency of use on the home screen. Perhaps including a timespan parameter to allow things such as MLB to rise and fall in the order based whether MLB is in season or not. Of course an issue with this is that you'd have the order of the channels changing automatically which is often a no-no for UI design.
scyber

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 pm

they change anyway every time a new channel is added
Village Idiot

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
robertm wrote:Are these the same newbies that can figure out how to buy a roku at walmart? Anyone who uses netflix is accustomed to rating. I know I have over 50k ratings on netflix.

Re-rate them ?
considering how often ( especially lately ) i had to unplug and replug roku i would hate to keep re-rating stuff
you don't have a problem with a mile long left2right scroll for all your channels
but you would have a problem with tier categories ? Which wouldn't be as long to scroll through.
especially considering you could skip whole tier categories of no interest or even no interest at the moment.
if you get wanted a sports channel at the moment you tier down to sports and there you are.
How is that harder then going through every single channel you have until you get to that sport channel ?
this is in essence what Netflix did and it works great.
And YES I'M STILL FOR SELLING ROKU IN WAL-MART
because if roku has a tier system like Ntflix has for channels those Wal-Mart shoppers will be able to handle it just fine.

Why would it lose the ratings from just being unplugged? Mine keeps all my settings unless I do a hard reset which I have had only had to do once on one of my three boxes in the last year.

What if the sports category had three channels you wanted and they were buried in 60 that you didn't? So each year when that sport is in season you have to hunt and hunt to find your channel again. However if those channels were rated among your favorites they would be right there at the beginning of the list waiting for you.

More to the point what happens if your season has ended and you want to keep that channel on your main lineup but you want it at the very end, or (hopefully someday) at the very bottom or next screen over (like the WII)?

Eventually they may have so many channels they need both but until we break 200 I think a rating system is better than having categories with small numbers of channels in them. RIght now a sports channel would have, what, 4 channels in it?
robertm

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:38 pm

i was using the term sport tier as an example.
it could just as easily be divided up in tiers by alphabet ( another example dont go crazy one it )
A-B-C-D-E-F-G
H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O
P-Q-R-S-T-U-V
W-X-Y-Z

or a tier system like

comedies
robertm favorite choices to drive VI crazy with
drama
premium channels
sports
news-science
music-radio-etc

but each to their own idea that's why we have a forum to bounce ideas off of
maybe roku will love one of our ideas ( probably mine ) and use it
Village Idiot

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Village Idiot wrote:i was using the term sport tier as an example.
it could just as easily be divided up in tiers by alphabet ( another example dont go crazy one it )
A-B-C-D-E-F-G
H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O
P-Q-R-S-T-U-V
W-X-Y-Z

or a tier system like

comedies
robertm favorite choices to drive VI crazy with
drama
premium channels
sports
news-science
music-radio-etc

but each to their own idea that's why we have a forum to bounce ideas off of
maybe roku will love one of our ideas ( probably mine ) and use it

Alphabet would be worse because you would have to check every letter. It is probably not likely to get many drama or comedy only channels so all of those would end up getting grouped with netflix and amazon under TV and Movies.
robertm

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:26 pm

i bet you hate Netflix's tier system too.
but a tier system does make sense.
Read the reviews of Netflix's new system everyone loves it.
Those that don't usually say its the color scheme they hate.
Anyway we're just guessing what the future holds.
I'm sure there are other ideas out there too.
Village Idiot

Postby philsoft » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Anyway we're just guessing what the future holds.
I'm sure there are other ideas out there too.

Yes indeed, I think the future looks like..... Minority Report.
:) , probably not, but that would be cool.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:54 pm

with my luck i would be THX 1138
Village Idiot

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion