Setting up a wired connection for ROKU

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Setting up a wired connection for ROKU

Postby SeaHag » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:26 pm

My player does not want to connect to my network. I was having regular problems with my Linksys type N wireless router [which works fine with my laptop] and keeping connected on the roku, so I bought a new ethernet cable and switchbox and connected the roku direct. I reset the factory settings on the player and tried setting up the wired connection and it tells me it cannot connect to my network...though my desktop which is connected in the port right next to the roku works fine.

I'm starting to wonder if this roku unit is defective...but it has worked intermittently and at times well [as in four dot streaming quality]. I'm not a retard with technology, but I'm not a computer geek either. Does anyone have some tips on setting up this wired connection?
SeaHag

Re: Setting up a wired connection for ROKU

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:48 pm

SeaHag wrote: I reset the factory settings on the player and tried setting up the wired connection and it tells me it cannot connect to my network...though my desktop which is connected in the port right next to the roku works fine.

Did you reboot your router after connecting the Roku via ethernet? some of the earlier parameters may have been cached.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby robertm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

What kind of switchbox? When you say the desktop is connected to the next port do you mean on the router or on the switchbox?

Agree on resetting the router. As I recall the roku has only one mac address for both ports and the router dhcp may not be giving a new lease because the old one has not expired.
robertm

Postby SeaHag » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I removed the wireless router altogether and bought a network switchbox ...another Cisco/Linksys product. Turned the power off to my whole system while wiring everything up again. At the moment, my laptop is down so I don't need the wireless at all and I'm planning to let my girlfriend use it so we can stream netflix to her Nintendo Wii.

Currently my desktop unit is plugged into port 2 of the switchbox and the Roku is on port 1. My computer works fine and both ports shows full signal strength {3 LED's}.

The roku detects the ethernet connection immediately then times out when trying to connect to the network. Is there some kind of firewall setting or something with my computer that would get in the way even though they are running in parallel and not in series with each other? The screen that comes up suggests checking your internet connection by plugging another device into your network...which is what the desktop proves out right?? It also suggests "CONFIRM THAT YOUR ACCESS POINT IS NOT RESTRICTING ACCESS". Well, unlike with my wireless connection, there was no password or security setup...just rerouting the hardware and lines. So I really don't know what to check there. Am I missing something?
SeaHag

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

SeaHag wrote:I removed the wireless router altogether and bought a network switchbox ...another Cisco/Linksys product.

You MUST use a ROUTER!!!! - a 'router' (whether or not wireless) is able to share/split an Internet connection. In contrast, a (simple) switch provides additional network ports - but does NOT split the Internect connection (i.e. provide multiple IP addresses). Your computer via it's operating system is internally setting an IP address, so it is connecting to the Internet on the simple switch. The Roku OS is unable to internally set an IP address, so it relies on DHCP which is a service on a router, but NOT on a switch. Simply use an ethernet cable to attach the Roku to the ROUTER if you want to bypass a wireless configuration.
(to my knowledge, all routers have ethernet ports although most newer models have both ethernet ports and wireless connectivity).
Last edited by kumasuki on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby SeaHag » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:59 pm

By the way, thanks for trying to help. I have been VERY disappointed with my whole Roku experience since I got it in February. I think I've only successfully streamed a half dozen or so movies from Netflix in that time and have had to rent DVD's when my girlfriend and her kids come over. If this hard wiring doesn't do the trick, I'm going to see if Roku will exchange it for another unit in case this is bad...and if not I may just blow the thing up with my shotgun I'm so pissed off with it.
SeaHag

Postby SeaHag » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 pm

kumasuki wrote:
SeaHag wrote:I removed the wireless router altogether and bought a network switchbox ...another Cisco/Linksys product.

You MUST use a ROUTER!!!!

Doesn't the switchbox provide the same service, splitting the ethernet signal and directing traffic? If not, why does my desktop work?

This is what I bought in case I'm not explaining it correctly:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-EZX ... 324&sr=8-1
SeaHag

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:05 pm

SeaHag wrote:Doesn't the switchbox provide the same service, splitting the ethernet signal and directing traffic? If not, why does my desktop work?

This product is a simple switch and will not direct IP traffic via DHCP - per my updated explanation above.
kumasuki

Postby robertm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:10 pm

SeaHag wrote:
kumasuki wrote:

You MUST use a ROUTER!!!!

Doesn't the switchbox provide the same service, splitting the ethernet signal and directing traffic? If not, why does my desktop work?

What is happening now is your computer is getting a public IP address from your ISP and that is why it is working. However, your roku box is left out in the cold.

A router get a public IP address for your network and then assigns all the devices on the network a private IP address and routes the traffic to and from internet.
robertm

Postby SeaHag » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks for the lesson in what a router does. :oops: I had assumed the switchbox I bought did the same thing, just without broadcasting the wireless signal. Wish I hadn't wasted the money now. :roll: ...oh well, it wasn't real expensive. I'm trying to update the firmware on my router now to see if that might have something to do with my problems. The LELA [linksys easy link updater] has been advising there was an upgrade but the couple times I tried to download it, I had some issues. I've just downloaded the latest drivers from the Linksys web site directly. Should be able to tell you if this works in the next day or so.

Appreciate the help everyone. :mrgreen:
SeaHag

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:36 pm

SeaHag wrote: Wish I hadn't wasted the money now. :roll: ...oh well, it wasn't real expensive.

Many routers only provide 4 ports - which can easily get used up. When that happens, simply connect the switch to a port on the router and you'll instantly have another 4 ports available (I have switches on each port of my router). Did you try connecting the Roku directly to the router - even without updating the firmware (although that's a good thing to do) ?
kumasuki

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 am

Switches are also handy to provide multiple ports in another room/floor of the house with only one wire from the router. I live in a 3 story house and during the summer it is much too warm on the top floor to have multiple servers and NAS devices adding to the heat so I have an 8 port switch in my basement to handle them.
robertm

Postby SeaHag » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Alright everyone...update time.

IT WORKS!! :mrgreen:

I downloaded the setup.exe files from Cisco/Linksys last night and installed it tonight which loaded the latest driver files and updated my routers firmware. I still opted for the wired connection and the setup on the roku player went sooooo much better than it ever did when I first set it up on the wireless. Thanks to you all, I now know the purpose of the router and understand how this all works together better. I've got solid four dot streaming going on right now...just in time to entertain my girlfriend and her kids tomorrow night.

THANKS!! 8)
SeaHag

Postby derobert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 pm

SeaHag wrote:Wish I hadn't wasted the money now. :roll:
Don't worry, if you have any sort of wired network, having a spare switch on hand is a good idea. You can put it behind your router whenever you need extra ports.

/me notes he has 6 switches in use around his place :-D
Roku Orig. (20F93E011586) → Onkyo SR-606 → Vizio SV470XVT (all HDMI)
Roku 2 XS (13A166000184) ───┘ │
Roku LT (16A18K002429) → HDMI Switch ─┘ (this one uses 802.11g)
FiOS Business ↔ Linux Router ↔ Rokus (wired ethernet)
derobert

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion