Apartment Community WIFi

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Apartment Community WIFi

Postby apeterson1890 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:15 pm

My apartment community offers free wi fi to its residence and When you open the internet you have to login to use it how do i set up my roku box to do this?
apeterson1890

Re: Apartment Community WIFi

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:20 pm

apeterson1890 wrote:My apartment community offers free wi fi to its residence and When you open the internet you have to login to use it how do i set up my roku box to do this?

The software built-in to the Roku (i.e. firmware) does not support browser-based authentication (where you need to enter a login ID). You have to have your own router running DHCP. Sorry - but you wouldn't enjoy the Roku on 'free' wi-fi anyways - the available bandwidth (speed) wouldn't be sufficient.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby apeterson1890 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 pm

We had it hooked up once but then it wouldnt let us enter a code to get it set up with my account so my fiance reset it and now it wont let us connect
apeterson1890

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:27 pm

apeterson1890 wrote:We had it hooked up once but then it wouldnt let us enter a code to get it set up with my account so my fiance reset it and now it wont let us connect

Not sure what this 'code' is, but the Roku needs an IP address which it won't be able to get via browser-based authentication.

There are many other threads on this topic:

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 91359a8533

and they all point out that (at least currently) it can not be done.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:30 am

Another issue on a shared connection is bandwidth. The Roku uses a lot of it. It is possible you could make yourself real unpopular or more likely, when others are using it you may get lousy quality and constant rebuffering.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 am

If it requires authentification every single time you access the internet there is no way to accomplish it. If you have to enter a code every 24 hours or so you might be able to spoof the mac address of the roku box on your computer. You'd only be able to use one at a time and as others have mentioned it may be too slow. As far as annoying the neighbors you can be sure many of them are probably streaming music or video to their computers.
robertm

Postby eri3k » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 pm

I have not tried this, but you should be able to have your PC or laptop share its wireless connection through the LAN port. Here are Microsoft's instructions on how to configure this type of setup:
Windows XP
Windows 7/Vista

Granted it is not the most convenient (potential) solution, but it might enable you to use the player with the WiFi service you have access to.
eri3k

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:18 pm

eri3k wrote:I have not tried this, but you should be able to have your PC or laptop share its wireless connection through the LAN port. Here are Microsoft's instructions on how to configure this type of setup:
Windows XP
Windows 7/Vista

Granted it is not the most convenient (potential) solution, but it might enable you to use the player with the WiFi service you have access to.

I thought the roku has trouble with ICS because it doesn't handle DHCP the same as a router or server so it never gets an IP assignment.
robertm

Postby eri3k » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:58 pm

robertm wrote:I thought the roku has trouble with ICS because it doesn't handle DHCP the same as a router or server so it never gets an IP assignment.

Nope, DHCP on ICS works just fine. Your skepticism prompted me to give it a shot. The DVP received an IP address from my Windows 7 laptop without any issues.

It took less than 30 seconds to enable sharing on the laptop's wireless connection then about a minute to plug in the cable and switch to wired on the Roku. The player had no problem with any of the channels I tried and reported my bandwidth in the 7-10 Mbps range depending on the channel, more than enough to stream even the highest bitrate content available. If the OP has a good wireless signal and the apartment has sufficient bandwidth, then this setup will work. (At least on a Windows 7 machine.)
eri3k

Postby BobN2Tech » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:59 pm

I cannot get ICS to work with the Roku connecting to an ad hoc wireless network on a Windows xp laptop. I use the wireless method to connect the Roku to the ad hoc LAN and share the wired connection to the router .
I followed MS instructions on setting up the ICS, but the Roku will see the network but won't get an ip address. My other pc will see the ad hoc network and get an ip address and even get to the internet so I know the DHCP is working.
I even turned off all xp firewall. Anyone having success using the Roku like this?
BobN2Tech

Postby jbrave » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 pm

I could be wrong but ad-hoc is not what you want, you want infrastructure mode. The pc needs to act as the access point for the Roku.

Another alternative might be to use a mac address spoofing utility on the PC to fake the mac address of the roku to the access point. authenticate to the wifi on the pc, then turn off the mac spoof, turn on the roku.

If your apartment has wifi though, you will be competing to use your device with everyone else on wife. this might mean that either A your neigbors don't have a good time on the internet, or B you don't get to watch Roku in any kind of decent quality, or C everyone suffers.

Best if you can get your own telephone line and DSL or cable internet unless your apt building has a really fat pipeline.
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
jbrave

Postby BobN2Tech » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:21 pm

unfortunately there seems no way to have an infra structure wireless LAN and ICS wired configuration in the setup. I am not actually using this for an apartment but for a private internal wireless network in my home to connect to the roku that is not near the router. I am not sure why the ROKU cannot get the ip address but my Iphone can!
BobN2Tech

Postby Davis » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:30 am

I'm able to get on free hotel WiFi and use my Roku. Here's how I do it:

1. Log into the WiFi with my notebook, using the browser.
2. Turn on Internet Connection Sharing and spit it out through the LAN port of my notebook.
3. Connect the Roku's LAN port to the notebook's LAN port, using a CROSSOVER cable.
4. Run the Roku's Network Setup Wizard to get the connection.

That's it!
Davis

Postby BobN2Tech » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:06 am

i am not sure why you can't hook up the Roku into the hotel wifi directly, unless you need to login via browserfirst to use it. However, since my PC is located near the router/modem, and TV/Roku accross the room, I need the wireless connection from the ROKU to the wireless LAN from the PC. Is this some sort of authentication the pc does that the Roku does?
BobN2Tech

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion