I need a link code to add private channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

I need a link code to add private channel

Postby RealisticDave » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I activated my Roku box a few months ago, and at a later date I created a Roku account. I'd like to add a private channel, but I can't do so unless I have my box linked. I've read through the forum (and have done a Google search) to try and find out how to obtain the "link code" that I need---at this point in time. All that I can find in the forums (that mention link codes) are questions about software updates and/or people that can't access the Channel Store. I can access the Channel Store, my box works fine to watch NetFlix, I just need the link code to add a private channel. Is there a way to find this link code out----AFTER the box has been in service for a while? Some forum posts say that "the link code is displayed when you set up your box," but if it was I didn't write it down anywhere...because I didn't think I'd need it at a later date.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
RealisticDave

Re: I need a link code to add private channel

Postby DeftOne » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:15 pm

http://www.roku.com/link

Maybe try a factory reset in the Settings channel and go through the setup again?
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby Robert99 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:25 pm

If you already have a channel store account, the only "code" you need is the one for the specific "private channel" you want to add. You then log into your ROKU account (from your PC), click on the "Add Private Channel" link, and then enter the code for the private channel you want to add. When you next enter and exit the "channel store" on your ROKU player, the private channel you added (from the web site) should be present (because entering and exiting the player's channel store, causes the ROKU to sync with your account info on the ROKU web site).

As to how to get the channel codes for the specific private channels you might be interested in, that varies with the channels. By their vary nature "private channels" are not setup for general distribution (hence why they are called "private channels"). The "public channels" all can be added directly from the ROKU box via the "channel store". However, the "private channels" require you to get the hidden "private" code to enable the channel (from the channel developer), and then enter it into your ROKU account on the web (in order to enable a "private", not publicly released, channel on the box).

However, in the case of private channels actively discussed on this forum, most of those "channel codes" are posted (by the developer of the channel) in forum messages discussing the channel. So in that case, you just read the forum posts about the channel, and see if one of the posts mentions that the channel code for the channel is xxxxx. If so, that's all you need. Because once you get the channel code from the developer (even if/when the process is as easy as reading a public forum post about the channel, that mentions the code to use), you just use that code (via the procedure mentioned above) to enable that channel on your ROKU.
Robert99

Postby kumasuki » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Most link codes for private channels can be found here: http://www.roku-channels.com/home
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby RoadRanger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:05 pm

kumasuki wrote:Most link codes for private channels can be found here: http://www.roku-channels.com/home
or here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roku ... ayer/links
:)
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger

Postby DeftOne » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Unless I'm mis-understanding the original poster's question, I don't think his issue is the code for a specific private channel. Rather, he needs the code to link his DVP to his Roku account, which is typically displayed during the setup process if I remember correctly. If this is indeed the case, the only thing I can think of is to factory reset the box and go through the setup process again to generate another link code. I do not know of any way to recover the original link code.

Perhaps it would be best for the original poster to clarify the situation.
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby RealisticDave » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Sorry, I was out of town for the holiday so I didn't reply sooner. This is correct (DeftOne), my original question is how to find the link code to link my Roku box with my Roku (online) account. The code for the private channel I want to add is "H9DWC"---but when I try and add it via the "add private channel" link, I get the message, "You must have at least one player linked to your account before you can add a channel."

I'll give the "factory reset" a shot and see if I can obtain a link code via that route. But I'm watching NetFlix tonight, so I'll run through the reset procedure tomorrow. Thanks to all for your comments.

Take care.
RealisticDave

Postby Robert99 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:28 pm

RealisticDave wrote:my original question is how to find the link code to link my Roku box with my Roku (online) account.

Have you tried selecting the channel store on your ROKU box, and see if it gives you the needed instructions?

It's been a while since I had to do it, so this is just from memory. However, if my memory is correct, the first time I entered the channel store (on the ROKU box itself), I was presented with the "link code" that I then entered into the web site (to link the ROKU box and the online account). Then once that linkage was done, I was then able to use both the channel store on the ROKU box (to add public channels) and the web site (to add the private channels). But the first step was to link my online ROKU account with the box itself (to enable the full functionality of the "channel store" on the box).
Robert99

Postby RealisticDave » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:17 am

After looking everywhere I could think of for the previous link code that I must have used a few months ago, I took the advice to just do a Factory Reset. I've just completed it, everything came up just fine, I've received a new link code and now have my Roku box linked with the Roku account online, and I've added the private channel that I wanted to add (Pod, at H9DWC). Thanks to everyone who posted a helpful comment, my problem is now solved---AND I've written down the link code so that I'll have it if I need it in the future. Take care.
RealisticDave

Postby RokuPatrick » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

RealisticDave wrote:After looking everywhere I could think of for the previous link code that I must have used a few months ago, I took the advice to just do a Factory Reset. I've just completed it, everything came up just fine, I've received a new link code and now have my Roku box linked with the Roku account online, and I've added the private channel that I wanted to add (Pod, at H9DWC). Thanks to everyone who posted a helpful comment, my problem is now solved---AND I've written down the link code so that I'll have it if I need it in the future. Take care.

Glad to see you got it resolved. FWIW, if you have to re-link in the future, the code will be different.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby DeftOne » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 am

Glad to see you got it sorted out. :D
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:43 am

RokuPatrick wrote: FWIW, if you have to re-link in the future, the code will be different.

Yes. It wouldn't have done you any good if you had found the old code.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion