roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Postby philsoft » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Portobello wrote:I use the source framerate and i also have large file and web optimized checked hmmm... maybe my bit rate is too high. I have an AVG of 2500.

Could be the bitrate, but there is an issue with handbrake and 24fps material, that is why I use 29.97fps
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Portobello » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Does changing the frame rate to 29 fps on material with a source of 23/24 fps alter the video in a negative way?
Portobello

Postby philsoft » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Portobello wrote:Does changing the frame rate to 29 fps on material with a source of 23/24 fps alter the video in a negative way?

Not that I have found. I think most DVD's have 3:2 pulldown flags anyway, and Handbrake probably reads those.
philsoft

Postby WilDD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Plans for Roksbox

Roksbox is planning on becoming a public channel sometime in early August (upon approval of Roku). As a result, there will be a couple of changes to Roksbox. First, registering Roksbox (also known as linking) with your Roku player will be required. This will be similar to other channels that require registration. You will create an account on the Roksbox website and enter a registration code generated from Roksbox. Once you create an account, this account can be used to register any other Roku players in your household, and any other future Roku players that you want to run Roksbox on. Second, beginning August 1, there will be a one-time, non recurring registration fee. This fee is needed to help pay for the Roksbox website, and continued development of Roksbox.

For everyone who registers before August 1, there will be no registration fee. I want Roksbox to remain free for everyone who has already been using it, and who has been so helpful in its development. Registration will begin on Saturday, July 17. When you first use Roksbox beginning July 17, you will be given instructions on how to register. If you register as a private channel, your registration will carry over to the public channel.

You will have 30 days to register from the first time you use Roksbox (beginning July 17). For new people, this will give them time to evaluate Roksbox and decide if it does what they are looking for.

Roksbox will continue to be developed as it has in the past. The new website should provide opportunities for better support. It will start out fairly simple, but will evolve as time goes on.

Don't forget to register before August 1.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed.
WilDD

Postby jeffgabriel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:50 pm

WilDD, that is awesome to hear. So glad you have this going to the public sector, I'm loving your application and the wife loves streaming all of her TV shows that I've ripped from DVD for her. We've now become professional couch potatoes on the weekend and loving it. Looking forward to getting my upgrading Roku to start playing with your USB function, once I explained to the wife the possibilities and capabilities she was thrilled at the aspect of having all our DVD's in one location.

Also, not sure if I mentioned before but the resume option is great it was a feature I was hoping for, was going to mention and "poof" there it was.

Thank you for making my Roku finally live up to what I knew it could do and saving me from buing a PC Media Server to dedicate solely.
jeffgabriel

Postby Portobello » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 pm

I was going to return my Roku until I discovered this channel. Depending on what the fee is I wouldn't mind signing up AFTER August 1st to further support this awesome channel.
Portobello

Postby WilDD » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:36 am

Portobello wrote:I was going to return my Roku until I discovered this channel. Depending on what the fee is I wouldn't mind signing up AFTER August 1st to further support this awesome channel.

I haven't really settled on a price yet, and since I value the opinions of the people on this forum, what does everyone think would be a fair price for a one-time registration fee?
WilDD

Postby philsoft » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:43 am

WilDD wrote:
Portobello wrote:I was going to return my Roku until I discovered this channel. Depending on what the fee is I wouldn't mind signing up AFTER August 1st to further support this awesome channel.

I haven't really settled on a price yet, and since I value the opinions of the people on this forum, what does everyone think would be a fair price for a one-time registration fee?

Ten bucks seems reasonable enough to me.
philsoft

Postby Steve244 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:37 am

<Dr. Evil voice> One Million Dollars...</Dr. Evil Voice>

Ok maybe 10 bucks.

I'm afraid though of the headache this will be for Roku once the teaming millions try to get it to work. Don't get me wrong, it works VERY well, but the server end isn't friendly for the average user. Just setting up a fixed IP will be beyond 90% of people's tech skilz. I hope the IPO is phrased in such a way to appeal just to the other 10%.
Steve244

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

Steve244 wrote:
I'm afraid though of the headache this will be for Roku once the teaming millions try to get it to work. Don't get me wrong, it works VERY well, but the server end isn't friendly for the average user. Just setting up a fixed IP will be beyond 90% of people's tech skilz. I hope the IPO is phrased in such a way to appeal just to the other 10%.

+1 Maybe a "just for geeks" category in the channel store.
kc8pql

Postby aegl » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:29 am

Last night I was watching a ~2 hour movie that I'd ripped from a DVD using handbrake. At the one hour mark I started getting the dreaded "rebuffering" problems on the TV ... and on further checking I found that handbrake had ripped at native framerate of 23.976 and I'd forgotten to override it.

Now I've seen several posts here saying that everything works with a 29.97 frame rate ... but I wonder why. The Roku can definitely handle long movies at 23.976 (search for the epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" on Netflix ... just don't sit and watch it all!!!). Is there something extra that I could put in the .xml file to tell Roksbox to pass some extra information to the Roku?

I'm guessing here that I'll end up with a larger video file and my rip may take longer if I up-sample the frame rate in handbrake.
aegl

Postby Portobello » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 am

I'm definitely okay with $10.
aegl wrote:Last night I was watching a ~2 hour movie that I'd ripped from a DVD using handbrake. At the one hour mark I started getting the dreaded "rebuffering" problems on the TV ... and on further checking I found that handbrake had ripped at native framerate of 23.976 and I'd forgotten to override it.

Now I've seen several posts here saying that everything works with a 29.97 frame rate ... but I wonder why. The Roku can definitely handle long movies at 23.976 (search for the epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" on Netflix ... just don't sit and watch it all!!!). Is there something extra that I could put in the .xml file to tell Roksbox to pass some extra information to the Roku?

I'm guessing here that I'll end up with a larger video file and my rip may take longer if I up-sample the frame rate in handbrake.

I too would like to know why 23 vs 29 for rebuffering problems.
Portobello

Postby aegl » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm

aegl wrote:The Roku can definitely handle long movies at 23.976 (search for the epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" on Netflix ... just don't sit and watch it all!!!).

Actually I'm not as certain about the "definitely" as I was when I posted this. I didn't sit through an hour of this test movie to see whether it started rebuffering. Perhaps I should do that before making such definitive claims.
aegl

Postby philsoft » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:43 pm

aegl wrote:
aegl wrote:The Roku can definitely handle long movies at 23.976 (search for the epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" on Netflix ... just don't sit and watch it all!!!).

Actually I'm not as certain about the "definitely" as I was when I posted this. I didn't sit through an hour of this test movie to see whether it started rebuffering. Perhaps I should do that before making such definitive claims.

The issue generally presents itself even if you fast forward past the point, so if you FF to the 90 minute mark, you should know if it chokes or not. I have heard that this is an issue with handbrake, and some folks using other encoding software do not have this problem.
philsoft

Postby WilDD » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:08 pm

philsoft wrote:Ten bucks seems reasonable enough to me.

Once Uncle Sam, Paypal, and who knows who else gets their hands on 10 bucks, there won't be much left of it. Would anyone be too upset if I said $15?
WilDD

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion