Hulu Plus on the PS3 hands on

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Hulu Plus on the PS3 hands on

Postby scyber » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:45 am

Updated details on hulu plus for the PS3:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/hulu ... -hands-on/

One interesting update is that the PS3 "exclusivity" is now confirmed to be only exclusive for consoles:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/hulu ... through-2/
PlayStation®3 System the First and Only Console to Offer Hulu Plus™ in 2010

It was unclear earlier if the exclusivity was only for consoles or for all tv connected devices. This of course means that a Roku channel shouldn't be blocked by the PS3 "exclusive" agreement.

I'd still be more interested in the service if it included basic cable channels (USA, FX, SyFy, etc.). I probably won't pay for it unless it does.
scyber

Re: Hulu Plus on the PS3 hands on

Postby moviegeek65 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:20 am

I'm not buying a PS3 to watch Hulu Plus, if Roku users get a Hulu channel it won't be until 2012. :(
moviegeek65

Postby jcmolet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:41 am

moviegeek65 wrote:...if Roku users get a Hulu channel it won't be until 2012. :(

Out of curiosity, what do you base the 2012 date on?
jcmolet

Postby mkolby » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 am

jcmolet wrote:
moviegeek65 wrote:...if Roku users get a Hulu channel it won't be until 2012. :(

Out of curiosity, what do you base the 2012 date on?

Another Mayan calendar prediction? Hulu Roku Channel released right before the end of the world?
mkolby

Postby jcmolet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 am

scyber wrote:It was unclear earlier if the exclusivity was only for consoles or for all tv connected devices. This of course means that a Roku channel shouldn't be blocked by the PS3 "exclusive" agreement.

I'd still be more interested in the service if it included basic cable channels (USA, FX, SyFy, etc.). I probably won't pay for it unless it does.

It is good to know that the exclusivity deal through the end of 2010 was just for other game consoles. I was checking out Hulu Plus on the PS3 (just the preview material) last night and it is a pretty nice UI with pretty good picture quality. It would be ideal if more options such as USA, FX, SyFY, etc. were available; however, from what I have experienced briefly with the iPad and now the PS3, I think $10/month is pretty reasonable for the content they are offering (commercials and all) and my guess is that Hulu will have no problem attracting customers that have a PS3, iPad, Sony TVs & BD players and Samsung TVs & BD players.

Similarly, If Hulu Plus does find its way to the Roku DVP, I think a lot of people will jump at the chance to get Netlfix and Hulu Plus ($19/month), Amazon (pay as you go for TVs/movies) and free content like Revision3, TWiT, Pandora, etc. all on one device. Nineteen dollars a month for all that is not a bad deal.
jcmolet

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 am

I have no interest in Hulu plus as I already can use basic Hulu and have OTA content recorded onto a HTPC. Now if someone offered a package with the likes of USA, FX and SyFY (which I cannot record OTA) I would gladly pay $10/month.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby WebConnectedHDTV » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Hello everyone,
First post. Hoping to contribute as I love my three (3) Rokus. Ran across this article today. Hoping the mods might confirm whether true or not:

Tech News :: Cable TV and Hulu Coming to Roku | The Contemplation
http://bit.ly/d2mvBi
Knowledge of the many
Is more than the one
(~O_O~)
WebConnectedHDTV

Postby moviegeek65 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm

WebConnectedHDTV wrote:Hello everyone,
First post. Hoping to contribute as I love my three (3) Rokus. Ran across this article today. Hoping the mods might confirm whether true or not:

Clearleap has been discussed in other threads, it's an interesting idea if you have a cable subscription but useless for those who don't.

As for 2012 I was basing that on the Hulu Plus announcements and website, it's possible it may come next year but I'm not holding my breath. Hulu is also rumored to be talking to CBS to bring their content onboard which would be awesome.
moviegeek65

Postby jcmolet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:27 pm

The problem with this is the consumer must already have a subscription service through the same cable company that Clearleap has an existing partnership. In my mind, this begs the question, if I already have subscription service - e.g. Cox Cable - why would I want to/need to get to those same premium channels via the Roku/Clearleap partnership vice just watching the programming via my existing cable subscription? Secondly, when the article refers to "premium" content, I assume they are referring to recently released movies and new releases of television shows. By and large, Roku users already have the ability to get that type of content through Amazon VoD.

At this point, what Roku needs to really fill out its lineup is more sports programming and a channel/service that provides access to first-run television programs (e.g. Hulu/Hulu Plus). I don't believe that Hulu is the Holy Grail of streaming content, however it would be a very nice complement to the content currently available on the Roku DVP.
jcmolet

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 am

jcmolet wrote:

The problem with this is the consumer must already have a subscription service through the same cable company that Clearleap has an existing partnership. In my mind, this begs the question, if I already have subscription service - e.g. Cox Cable - why would I want to/need to get to those same premium channels via the Roku/Clearleap partnership vice just watching the programming via my existing cable subscription? Secondly, when the article refers to "premium" content, I assume they are referring to recently released movies and new releases of television shows. By and large, Roku users already have the ability to get that type of content through Amazon VoD.

At this point, what Roku needs to really fill out its lineup is more sports programming and a channel/service that provides access to first-run television programs (e.g. Hulu/Hulu Plus). I don't believe that Hulu is the Holy Grail of streaming content, however it would be a very nice complement to the content currently available on the Roku DVP.

I really don't see the big deal with Hulu. It is nice that the content is available at one site, but you can get most everything at the individual network's sites already (and over the air). What Hulu really needs to do is cut deals with the cables channels like Syfy, TBS, A&E, TNT & FX. Channels like Discovery will probably want too much money to show up on Hulu (or the Roku) any time soon. Sure, Netflix has some Discovery content, but not much. I would be very happy if Roku could bargain a deal for these channels. I wonder how much they would cost per channel?
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby ericj » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:13 am

I'm not going to pay to watch commercials in archival content. Hulu can cram it.
ericj

Postby jcmolet » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:25 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:I really don't see the big deal with Hulu. It is nice that the content is available at one site, but you can get most everything at the individual network's sites already (and over the air). What Hulu really needs to do is cut deals with the cables channels like Syfy, TBS, A&E, TNT & FX. Channels like Discovery will probably want too much money to show up on Hulu (or the Roku) any time soon. Sure, Netflix has some Discovery content, but not much. I would be very happy if Roku could bargain a deal for these channels. I wonder how much they would cost per channel?

To me it's pretty straight forward. If someone is interested in getting access to the current season of shows - as well as past seasons that have yet to make it to Netflix - from ABC, FOX and CBS as well as documentaries and movies (granted the catalog is smaller than) this service fills that niche. As an example, I got the invite to preview Hulu Plus three days ago and I am currently watching full seasons of FlashForward and Modern Family; something not possible with Netflix. Though it's early, I would give Hulu Plus an 8.5/10. I think the $10/month is very reasonable; the video quality via my PS3 is on par with any service (Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, etc.) that I have seen on any platform (Roku, AppleTV, Samsung BD player, Samsung TV, Wii, PS3 and PopcornHour, excluding Vudu on my Samsung BD player; and the UI is easily the best of all the platforms/services noted above.

In my mind, bringing Hulu Plus to the Roku DVP would be a great move. As opposed to it being a case of Netflix vs. Hulu - as I have seen people try to pit the two against each other around the web - I really see them as complementary services. Hulu gives you more immediate access to new content while Netflix meets the needs of those willing to wait for a while to view content. Between them, $19/month is not a lot IMO.

If it does make it to the Roku DVP (fingers crossed) just like all the other channels, users will have a choice. For those that feel $10/month is too much to pay, they simply choose not to add the channel. For those who see it as a niche filler and helping to round out the Roku lineup, they add it.
jcmolet

Postby Mwewe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for an informative and interesting discussion. I too, just signed up and requested a Hulu Plus invitation and specified Roku as my delivery device.

But I'm beginning to have second thoughts.... Right now for $9.82/mo I can watch Netflix movies, TV episodes, specials, etc., through Roku with no commercials. I'm trying to understand what I get if I subscribe to Hulu Plus for $9.99 that I don't already get from Netflix?

Of course, Netflix doesn't offer their entire stock via Instant Play, so we still get DVDs for those programs that they don't stream. And that's included in the $9.82/mo price. Does Hulu have more titles available than Netflix?

Even then, rather than pay monthly fees to Hulu for a program and watch commercials, I prefer to wait for a Netflix DVD, or if I can't wait, I might just rent from Amazon or my carrier (DTV) and not have to put up with the interruptions of commercials.

I'm not happy with the commercials on DTV and watch commercial stations only when I can fast forward past them -- and even that's an intrusive pain, which is why I love Netflix on Roku.

Mwewe
Mwewe

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion