UltraViolet

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

UltraViolet

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 am

This seems interesting.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100720/ap_ ... let_movies
To be able to have all your purchased content available anywhere and, if I read correctly, in any desired format would make a lot of the problems we currently encounter moot.

Once we have more information maybe we could look at having a ROKU ch for UltraViolet.
Gilgamesh

Re: UltraViolet

Postby pbnj » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Thinly veiled vaporous attempt at DRM control.

"So far, the necessary web of deals allowing for that complex transaction has not been set up."
This will be much more difficult than the company imagines.

Additionally, there are risks to the end-user:
The media industries have made an uncomfortable bed for themselves and are now trying to cushion it. By refusing to divorce "viewing/listening rights" from hard media for a decade (or two) after the world had the capabilities to do so, they have fallen behind on the concept of "locker" storage of media or even of maintaining centralized list of purchased "viewing/listening rights". Since it is so cheap to buy and store a FILE, the public wants to own the FILE (hard media) and mistrusts most attempts for a 3rd party to manage a customer's right to enjoy already-purchased media. (Amazon loses your purchase, or company xyz goes out of business and all your purchases are gone). Instead, people either buy DVD or download the vid file themselves and store it at home, just like they used to buy albums or cassettes or VHSs or CDs. Netflix has successfully launched an unlimited-but-throttled subscription model, but that only seems to work with low-demand titles. Now, give me a VERYLARGE locker for vids that I can sync with my already-purchased files, held locally, without DRM and without any sniffing at all of where I purchased the file, and maybe i will use it (like mp3tunes). When UltraViolet has a "blip" and refuses rights for one user to view the movie they just paid $5 to watch, they will abandon it. The first time someone is caught by UltraViolet for having an illegal download of a vid or a DVDRip and it hits the news, the public will backlash and it will die.
pbnj

Postby j883376 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:33 am

Or, the media companies can just stop the <Tiggers are a wonderful thing> and drop the DRM all together. DRM just impedes honest users and the pirates will continue pirating.
j883376

Postby vnzjunk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 am

Exactly!

Like the saying goes..........locks keep honest people honest.

It is not so much the absolute protection that drm actually provides but the appearance of absolute protection of content. Never mind that the end user ends up with a bunch of bulls##t problems as a result. Damm the consumer.......full speed ahead!
vnzjunk

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am

Audio CDs were the last great fomat put out by the content providers. The best technology of the time and no DRM. I doubt they will ever do that again. :(
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion