Roku box interference with Dish Network box

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku box interference with Dish Network box

Postby skillern » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:19 am

Just got the Roku yesterday. However, whenever my Roku is plugged in and on, which is all the time, my remote for my Dish Network box won't work. The Roku interferes with the signal. What's up?
skillern

Re: Roku box interference with Dish Network box

Postby kc8pql » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 am

That's a new one. It's usually the other way. Try moving one or the other box around.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby skillern » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 am

Tried moving the box, and well away from the Dish box. Still issues. As soon as I unplug the Roku, the Dish remote and box work great. When I turn the Roku back on, the Dish remote won't respond at all, unless I'm 2 inches from the box. Roku is going back if this is the case.
skillern

Postby kc8pql » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 am

skillern wrote:Tried moving the box, and well away from the Dish box. Still issues. As soon as I unplug the Roku, the Dish remote and box work great. When I turn the Roku back on, the Dish remote won't respond at all, unless I'm 2 inches from the box. Roku is going back if this is the case.

The Roku box doesn't emit IR, so this is a strange problem. There have been a number of cases where the backlight from the TV interfered with the ROKU remote, giving the same results you are seeing with the Dish box. How do you have the Roku connected to the TV? It should be connected directly, not through the Dish box.
kc8pql

Postby skillern » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:40 am

The roku is connected directly into my samsung tv using HDMI cable.
skillern

Postby cwniles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:43 am

It's a conspiracy, eventually you will just give up and get rid of the dish. ;-)

one other option would be to see if your remote has multiple transmit modes (IR or RF).....if one or the other works just fine while eliminating the interference, that would be an easier fix than rearranging all the equipment.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby robertm » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Which DN receivers do you have? I have 2 722's that work fine with a roku nearby. They each have ir remotes for tv 1 and uhf remotes for tv2. On one box the roku actually sits on the DN receiver. I use a Harmony at that location but the DN remote works just fine too.

The ones I had before the 722s were fine too. I can't remember the model number on them they were not HD models though.

If you use the uhf remotes only change the frequency number and see if that helps. I don't think either of mine are set for the default. You do have the antenna attached, right?
robertm

Postby __5 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Suggestion, for possible IR/plasma interference, multi-devices present…

Try this, take an old 3.5” diskette apart, remove and discard top and bottom shells and woven liners, then take the dark flexible plastic magnetic disk out and cut 2 pieces from it (discard the Hub), place one piece on top of the DVP IR window and place the other piece on top of the STB IR window, use clear-tap to tap around each piece.

The dark flexible plastic magnetic disk acts well as a filter, especially when TV or other devices censers active.

Make sure to remove the little clear plastic IR cover that came with the DVP.

This may also solve DVP wake-up after screensaver long idle.

Good Luck!
__5

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion