Connect Roku thru DVD player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Connect Roku thru DVD player

Postby BETD » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:43 pm

My Roku is up and working fine but now I don't have my DVD player connected. Can I route my Roku thru my DVD player and then my DVD to my TV? Thank you for any information.
BETD

Re: Connect Roku thru DVD player

Postby kumasuki » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:44 pm

Do not connect the Roku 'thru' a DVD player (or any other accessory). If you don't have another A/V port on your TV get an AV switch. If you're using RCA composite cables (RWY), then you could use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SVS-14-Input ... 347&sr=1-4
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby BETD » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:00 am

Thank you very much, AV switch it is then. Sure am glad I asked.
BETD

Postby Burkhardi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:28 am

kumasuki wrote:Do not connect the Roku 'thru' a DVD player (or any other accessory). If you don't have another A/V port on your TV get an AV switch. If you're using RCA composite cables (RWY), then you could use something like this:

I disagree (respectably of course).
Those cheap switches look like junk and introduce noise and such (since they use cheap parts to keep the price down).
If the DVD player has a true "pass-thru" then it should work perfect.

I use my N1000 (what people call their "Roku") to my other Roku branded video piece which is the HD1000 and the HD1000 has a pass-thru and that looks stellar for both the HD1000's picture and the N1000's picture in pass-thru.

I bought one or those switch boxes a while a go for a project and one one I got was not $16 but $39 and it was nasty, so much so that it's not being used and I think I thru it in the trash last week (what are the odds, I have had it for over a year). If I still have it, I'll post back here and if someone pays shipping, they can have it.

Just my 2-cents, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby Burkhardi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:32 am

kumasuki wrote:Do not connect the Roku 'thru' a DVD player (or any other accessory). If you don't have another A/V port on your TV get an AV switch. If you're using RCA composite cables (RWY), then you could use something like this:

You can use something like that for component too (not the model shown, but another one ( http://www.buy.com/prod/atlona-at-cv41r ... 09470.html ).
However I disagree (respectably of course).
Those cheap switches (like the one you linked too) look like junk and introduce noise and such (since they use cheap parts to keep the price down).
If the DVD player has a true "pass-thru" then it should work perfect.

I use my N1000 (what people call their "Roku") to my other Roku branded video piece which is the HD1000 (their DVP from 2003) and the HD1000 has a pass-thru and that looks stellar for both the HD1000's picture and the N1000's picture in pass-thru.

I bought one or those switch boxes a while ago for a project and one one I got was not $16 but $39 and it was nasty, so much so that it's not being used and I think I thru it in the trash last week (what are the odds, I have had it for over a year). If I still have it, I'll post back here and if someone pays shipping, they can have it.

Just my 2-cents, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby kumasuki » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 am

Burkhardi wrote:If the DVD player has a true "pass-thru" then it should work perfect.

Not sure how many DVD players provide "true pass-thru", but there are several other threads on this forum about users who have tried connecting their Roku to a DVD player only to find that the device automatically triggers the macrovision copyright protection making the picture unwatchable.

I use both composite and component matrix switches and haven't had a problem with either (now powered HDMI switches, on the other hand, have been a PITA!).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion