Can't figure out to make Roku work on old RCA tv

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't figure out to make Roku work on old RCA tv

Postby njbyron » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 am

I am not technology savvy. I have an old TV (analog RCA Proscan TV). I hooked up the Roku box per the directions that came with it. One thing I didn't understand was when it said "Make sure your TV is on and is set to display the correct video input." I don't have a VCR connected to the TV and have no idea what that means. What do I have to do to make the Roku work on the TV. I press all the buttons on the remote, the light on the box blinks at me, but nothing happens. Oh, another thing, I have a digital converter box which allows me to use this old analog TV.

Help!
njbyron

Re: Can't figure out to make Roku work on old RCA tv

Postby renojim » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 am

You need to set the input on the TV to "Line in" or something similar. See if there's an "Input" button on the remote or try changing the channel below channel 2 and see if it goes to line in.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby snarler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:43 am

During your setup, you would have connected some kind of cable (probably one with three different colored plugs on each end, red white and yellow) that runs between your Roku and your TV. When you plugged it into your TV, there should have been some kind of label on the set of holes you plugged the cable into. It might have said something like Video In if there's only one, or maybe Line 1 or Video 2 if there are more than one. Your TV can be told which set of inputs to use at any given time so you can plug different things into your TV and watch whichever one you want. As mentioned above, usually on the TV's remote and sometimes on the limited set of buttons on the TV itself will be a button labelled something like Input or Source. Pressing that will move between all the possible inputs, usually with text on the screen indicating which one you've landed on. You will want to press that button until the text shows the same name as the set of plugs you hooked up that cable to.
snarler

Postby kumasuki » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:42 am

njbyron wrote: I have a digital converter box which allows me to use this old analog TV.
Help!

If the digital converter box has an unused set of inputs (like RCA red/white/yellow) you can use those - then you will have to use the remote that came with the converter box to switch to that input.

Not all converter boxes have alternate inputs, in which case you need to examine how the converter box is connected to the TV.

1) If the converter box has a cable that connects directly to the antenna screw on the TV (this is a 'spade' connector) then you need to get an "RF modulator switch" such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-CRF940-Modula ... =pd_cp_e_2

With this device you can switch between both the converter box and the Roku. There are less expensive ones - this one accommodates 4 inputs so you could hookup a DVD player and Tivo along side the Roku as well - but all you need is one with 2 inputs.

2) If the converter box has a colored cable (like red/white/yellow) going into your TV, then you may need a simple composite (or RCA) switch like this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH911-Video-S ... _e_title_1

This one also supports 4 inputs - but you could get one that only switches between 2 devices for a little less.
Last edited by kumasuki on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:48 am

Can you tell us which of these connections you have on the back of your TV and which are already used?

The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby microlady » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 am

The above post is asking good questions to help you.

Just as a note: I can watch my Roku on my 1995 RCA Analog TV so there should be no problem for you to also watch it on your old RCA. I don't need a converter box right now as my cable company is still sending analog for another year.

Do you watch TV from a roof antenna or cable or satellite? And yes, describing the connections on the back of your TV as far as Input and Output would help.

I didn't see you mention it but I assume you know you have to have an Internet connection to view items from Netflix on the Roku box. That's an important part of your connection also.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby MoonChaser » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Digital Converter box?? That's used for OTA TV signals to convert the new digital feeds to something your TV can understand. If your TV does not have RCA inputs, you need an RF modulator. Most digital converter boxes have an RCA OUT, but I don't know of any that have an RCA IN (and they don't need it, really.) You might have the wrong conversion device, unless you meant something else. If your TV has RCA inputs, you can hook it up directly. Analog doesn't matter in this case.

If using an RF Modulator, your Roku will show up on either 3 or 4.
MoonChaser

Postby Vinnny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Here is the RF Modulator that i am using to send the signal to one tv (using component on the main tv :D) Works well !

http://www.target.com/All-One-Video-Mod ... B000W4CHAU $21
Vinnny

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion