How can I access internet streaming sites?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How can I access internet streaming sites?

Postby signalranger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:42 pm

First few minutes with the Roku and first post. Hello everyone.

How can I access streaming websites? If we're limited to Roku-only channels, that's very disappointing as there are other streaming players (or just your mac, pc or laptop) that can stream web content.

If Roku is only about a "walled garden" for selling paid-only channels, it's just another form of cable television.
signalranger

Re: How can I access internet streaming sites?

Postby RWatson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:29 pm

have you looked at the channel store? Some you pay, some you don't
RWatson

Postby blocked » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:46 pm

There are not many choices at this point to stream live online TV via boxes like Roku, and most other boxes will require a home media server like Tversity (supporting such software should be one of the top priorities for Roku, as it makes the use of the box much more universal). I have one, and even with Tversity, it is not perfect, it is still much more convenient to do it via laptop or home media PC with HDMI out. There are some players that can pick up at least some of the live streams, but you will always encounter something that it cannot handle. That said, I would wait for Google TV and see if they came up with a product that can deliver it. That would be your best bet. The reality is that there will always be websites that don't want you to stream their content, and it will be an endless battle of content producers against content consumers.
I think that eventually Roku will have to mature for more diverse content that allows them to be in competition with other companies. Yet, it would be an illusion to think that everything can be free. And in some cases, consumers would not mind to pay.
Honestly, instead of paying some $50 for 240 channels of cable TV, I would be fine with the 6 or 8 that I actually have time to watch once or twice a month - and if a box like Roku could come up with the ability to subscribe to each of these channels in HD for $2 or $3 a month, I would drop my cable without any hesitation. In addition, if it was able to stream live feeds of selected international channels in the USA, I would not mind paying $5 or more per channel of my choice, and I bet that many people would be happy to do that, too.
Yet for now this would require a major shift in thinking about television and its consumer on the side of the TV companies and content resellers, and I am pretty sure that they are not ready for this change yet.
blocked

Postby jhernes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Blocked this is sound familiar, I read this before. :)
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Postby signalranger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm

All good points. I'm referring not to live broadcast events or being able to see live broadcast from cable but rather websites that offer free streaming content - are you thinking of the same? Sites like those listed here - we should be able to access these over the Roku:

http://www.nosubscriptionrequired.net/

http://www.zepy.net/archives/eight-best ... am-tv.html

The channel store is pretty limited. We don't have much time to watch tv/films, but when we do we want to be able to find the shows and films we're interested.
signalranger

Postby blocked » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 pm

signalranger wrote:All good points. I'm referring not to live broadcast events or being able to see live broadcast from cable but rather websites that offer free streaming content - are you thinking of the same? Sites like those listed here - we should be able to access these over the Roku:

http://www.nosubscriptionrequired.net/

http://www.zepy.net/archives/eight-best ... am-tv.html

The channel store is pretty limited. We don't have much time to watch tv/films, but when we do we want to be able to find the shows and films we're interested.

Look up the other private channels, although not much to choose from at this moment.
I think eventually there will be at least a couple of players that will offer an attractive market space for websites like the ones that you mention to build their apps. I also think you will have to get through the initial disappointment and wait for the market to catch up with your needs, just like I did. From what I have seen, it looks like it is ridiculously easy to create these apps, but... Roku has its priorities elsewhere, and the internet video on demand market is not as mature as the on demand music market is, it still needs to go through a major consolidation. I have 5 different internet streaming-related devices at home, but I still have to go back to the notebook with HDMI for certain content. People will take this feedback personally, but at the end our comments and questions are just a simple indication of customer demand, and Roku so far was unable to respond to it, although multiple surveys are a clear indication that it cares and is thinking about it. I am not sure how easy would be to do it with their current hardware, though... We just have to wait 2-3 months and see what's ahead.
blocked

Postby Robert99 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 pm

signalranger wrote:All good points. I'm referring not to live broadcast events or being able to see live broadcast from cable but rather websites that offer free streaming content - are you thinking of the same?

The ROKU is currently somewhat limited as to what it can access from the general internet, but there is some movement in that direction. For example, check out the SUNIMI channel (as one good example of user driven media content). If the content is out on the internet in a format the ROKU can handle, and you can find the "deep link" directly to the stream (or on demand media), the SUNIMI channel can let you add it to the ROKU. And SUNIMI actually makes it pretty trivial to add a properly formatted RSS "PodCast" feed to the ROKU.

Now none of the options are as general as you are asking for (or as some of us would like). However, at least some "you find it, and you can add it" options are out there. And that doesn't even count what you could do if you are willing to write your own "channel" for the ROKU (since the API to write a channel is public, you can pretty much write any channel you are willing to put the effort into making).
Robert99

Postby kc8pql » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Robert99 wrote: (since the API to write a channel is public, you can pretty much write any channel you are willing to put the effort into making).

...as long as you meet the one major requirement Roku has for private channels. You must to own or have a license or rights for the content.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DennisDubay » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am

Why would you buy a product that you did no research on?
DennisDubay

Postby Brad I. » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 am

You can try the coppy desktop application with the Dyyno channel. I've been using it to watch video from various sites by streaming the video on my laptop and copying it to my tv via Dyyno on the Roku. You can even record the stream and add it to your on demand tab in the channel. Not always perfect but I've had good results watching Hulu this way.
Brad I.

Postby ash78 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 am

DennisDubay wrote:Why would you buy a product that you did no research on?

x2, I'm with captain obvious on this one...

If you were already a media consumer on computers, why would you want a roku at all? I bought one for the simplicity/speed/convenience, knowing full well that even the best content would be a couple generations behind what a PC could do. I just didn't want all the hassles and costs of setting up and maintaining an HTPC or Xbox Media Center.

I see Roku as a competitor to cable/OTA/DVD, not a competitor to a computer--and the price reflects that. $0.02.
ash78

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion