Roku player and analog TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku player and analog TV

Postby Killian » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Can you use a Roku player with an analog TV that is not hooked up to any service provider i.e. cable.? I want to watch Netflix movies on my TV, but all I have is a DSL line through my computer.

Does anyone have the best(least expensive) solution. I have watched Netlix movies on my computer, but it would be nice to view them on a TV.

Thanks.
Killian
Killian

Re: Roku player and analog TV

Postby philsoft » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Killian wrote:Can you use a Roku player with an analog TV that is not hooked up to any service provider i.e. cable.? I want to watch Netflix movies on my TV, but all I have is a DSL line through my computer.

Does anyone have the best(least expensive) solution. I have watched Netlix movies on my computer, but it would be nice to view them on a TV.

Thanks.
Killian

You just need Composite connectors (RCA jacks) either on the TV or on an RF Modulator, and you should have a router to make things MUCH easier than swapping cables.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Killian wrote:Can you use a Roku player with an analog TV that is not hooked up to any service provider i.e. cable.? I want to watch Netflix movies on my TV, but all I have is a DSL line through my computer.

Thanks.
Killian

Does your TV have composite inputs (e.g. yellow video input) or other video inputs (e.g. s-video or component (RGB))? If so then the Roku would plug into your TV fine. You don't need a cable or satelite TV provider. They are completely unrelated. If you don't have those inputs -- and only an old coaxial input, you'd need to be an RF modulator.

As for your internet. You will need a router to be able to split your internet connection between your computer and your Roku. You can either get a wireless router and connect the Roku wireless or you can get a wired router and run an ethernet cable from your Roku to your router. You should probably have at least a 1.5mb download speed, but I'd recommend a 3 mb down for better performance.
KennyJ

Postby Killian » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Thank you for your responses. I have more questions (please excuse my inexperience with this technology)...but I can't afford all the bells and whistles, but would like to take advantage of what I have. Also, I don't want to buy something and then find out I can't use it.

Yes, my TV has the composite video cable(yellow, red, white).

1. Do I need to hook this all up through the converter box(analog to digital) or do I bypass the converter box?

2. If I use a wireless contector, do I need to have wireless service throught Verizon(I currently have DSL)?

3. I have a Westell 6100 modem - does that count as a router. Also, I looked on Verizon's website - it said
"Changing your Westell 6100 modem to Bridge Mode. In order to use third-party routers with your Westell 6100 modem, you must first change your Westell modem to bridge mode." Is this something I need to be concerned about?

4. If I don't have cable service will I still be able to access some of the free stuff Roku says you can receive such as music? It streams through the computer. Now I just realized I can't use my computer and watch movies on Netflix at the same time?

5. Whether or not I have a Roku, my computer needs to be next to my TV in order to hook up the computer router to the TV, not the best situation space wise, but if that is what has to be done.
Now I realize I am on a Roku site, so I am a little suspect of getting an unbiased answer to this question, but I was wondering about the pros and cons to getting a Roku vs. Seagate Free Agent theatre vs. WD Live Plus HD media player. Are the latter two only useful if you have an HD tv, more expensive?

A hundred thanks for your time and patience.

K
Killian

Postby kumasuki » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Killian wrote: Yes, my TV has the composite video cable(yellow, red, white).

1. Do I need to hook this all up through the converter box(analog to digital) or do I bypass the converter box?

If the composite (Y/R/W) ports are not in use, then you can bypass the converter box.

Killian wrote:2. If I use a wireless connector, do I need to have wireless service thought Verizon(I currently have DSL)?

"Wireless" cellphone service is NOT the same as 'wireless' networking - the Westell 6100 has router capabilities BUT NOT wireless functionality, so you will have to connect the Roku with an ethernet cable (like you are using to connect your computer)

Killian wrote:3. I have a Westell 6100 modem - does that count as a router. Also, I looked on Verizon's website - it said
"Changing your Westell 6100 modem to Bridge Mode. In order to use third-party routers with your Westell 6100 modem, you must first change your Westell modem to bridge mode." Is this something I need to be concerned about?

The Westell 6100 is a DSL model with built-in router functions as well - you needn't bother with the 'bridge mode' (unless you decide to add an additional router)

Killian wrote:4. If I don't have cable service will I still be able to access some of the free stuff Roku says you can receive such as music? It streams through the computer. Now I just realized I can't use my computer and watch movies on Netflix at the same time?

To do ANYTHING with the Roku you need INTERNET service (which you're getting from a DSL provider) - if your internet service comes from a cable provider you need to keep that service (but not any television cable offerings). You CAN watch streaming video via the Roku and use the computer at the same time IF you connect both to the Westell 6100 (see comments below)

Killian wrote:5. Whether or not I have a Roku, my computer needs to be next to my TV in order to hook up the computer router to the TV, not the best situation space wise, but if that is what has to be done.

The TV is NOT connected to the Westell 6100 - only the computer and the Roku are. However, the Roku will need to be close to the TV for the video connections and to use the remote. Ethernet cables can be 25ft or more to connect the Roku to wherever the Westell 6100 is. The Westell has ONLY one ethernet port - so you will need a simple 5 port ethernet switch (~$15) (This will give you more ports to connect both the Roku and computer - a 'switch' is NOT a router!)

Killian wrote:...the pros and cons to getting a Roku vs. Seagate Free Agent theatre vs. WD Live Plus HD media player. Are the latter two only useful if you have an HD tv, more expensive?

All these products, like the Roku, require connecting to the Internet via a router in order to stream internet video. The Seagate and WD devices are more geared to streaming video from a local harddrive (but there are ways to do that with a Roku as well.)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Killian » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 pm

To Kumasuki:

Let me see if I am visuallizing this correctly.

Plug in composite ports between the TV and Roku

The ethernet cord (using a 5 port ethernet switch) will be plugged into both Westell and the Roku. This will allow me to use both the internet and TV.

I'll continue my DSL service and the information will be streamed through my computer.

correct?

Thanks
Killian

Postby kumasuki » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Killian wrote:To Kumasuki:

Let me see if I am visuallizing this correctly.

1) Plug in composite ports between the TV and Roku

2) The ethernet cord (using a 5 port ethernet switch) will be plugged into both Westell and the Roku. This will allow me to use both the internet and TV.

3) I'll continue my DSL service and the information will be streamed through my computer.

correct?

Thanks

Almost - 1) yes, this gives you picture and sound from the Roku; 2) yes, more precisely, the switch goes into the only ethernet port on the Westell, and then the Roku and computer each connect to a port on the switch (leaving 2 unused for future use); 3) The 'information' is streamed via the Westell to both the Roku and your computer (these 2 devices are independent of each other and unaware of each other - so you can have either one turned on and the other turned off, or both turned on, etc).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion