simplest way to stream from PC to Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

simplest way to stream from PC to Roku?

Postby mega1026 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:57 am

I have a roku at my house, and my tv and surround sound have usb ports... now I bought my lady friend a Roku last year, she loves it... but she is not tech savy at all... if I want to set her stuff up to stream .avi's from the PC to the Roku, which method is the cheapest and simplest?
mega1026

Re: simplest way to stream from PC to Roku?

Postby philsoft » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:01 am

The DVP does not play avi files.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Village Idiot » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 am

there are programs that can convert .avi files to other formats.
Look for whatever channel you want to use for viewing and then do a web search for the
program that converts your avi to that format.
Some of these programs are free. FireFox has a few of them too.
http://www.downloadhelper.net/manual.php
Village Idiot

Postby Village Idiot » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am

http://sunimi.com/
might be your best bet for the channel to use once you convert your .avi file.
Ask them which is the best format to convert to.

here is another link for an .avi converter
http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
there's plenty of them out there. I use the one in my other post.
Village Idiot

Postby KennyJ » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:03 am

I've found Chaneru to be one of the simplest solutions.
KennyJ

Postby mega1026 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 am

thanks, I'll check them out when I get home
mega1026

Postby dominjon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:50 am

Chaneru is the simplest hands down. To convert use Handbrake (a free program), It lets you create a queue, so it is easy to have it convert multiple files while you are sleeping or at work. All I did in Handbrake is convert to MP4, changed one setting - on the video filters tab I put Decomb onto Default rather than Off. I use that and every file has worked perfectly on the Roku through Chaneru.
Hope that helps.
dominjon

Postby Village Idiot » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 am

It should be noted that Chaneru is not free.
http://www.chaneru.com/
The Chaneru channel has a trial period of 30 days. You may purchase it for a one time charge of $10.00 plus processing fee.
Village Idiot

Postby thehomelessguy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:53 pm

dominjon wrote:Chaneru is the simplest hands down. To convert use Handbrake (a free program), It lets you create a queue, so it is easy to have it convert multiple files while you are sleeping or at work. All I did in Handbrake is convert to MP4, changed one setting - on the video filters tab I put Decomb onto Default rather than Off. I use that and every file has worked perfectly on the Roku through Chaneru.
Hope that helps.

Go with Roksbox. It's free. All you need is an computer that can run a webserver. You will need to make sure it is behind a firewall with no ports being fowarded (otherwise the whole internet could access your videos), but otherwise it is pretty easy to set up. I have all of my videos on a DS410 NAS (it has a built in webserver) however any computer should do (there are also instructions to get it to work on a variety of other NAS's available in the forums). Use handbrake to convert the files.

Word of warning though. There is a problem with videos encoded using the 23.97 framerate built into handbrake. They will become choppy/unwatchable after the 1 hour mark. No idea why this happens. Just make sure you encode your videos with 29.97 framerate (25 might also work, I haven't tried).
thehomelessguy

Postby blocked » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:04 pm

mega1026 wrote:I have a roku at my house, and my tv and surround sound have usb ports... now I bought my lady friend a Roku last year, she loves it... but she is not tech savy at all... if I want to set her stuff up to stream .avi's from the PC to the Roku, which method is the cheapest and simplest?

Your best bet would be to buy another device that can natively play avi files and does not require servers or transcoders or converters to do so. While installing servers and converters makes it possible to view the material on Roku, it also opens up your computer for www (if you do not know what you are doing), and installing server software that was created by third party or unknown developers in general is highly risky.
blocked

Postby greubel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Chaneru is a three click install.
1. Unzip it.
2. Execute it
3. Click Start

Does music, photo slideshows with music, movies, playlists, iTunes, iPhoto and it's fast !

And 10 bucks wont kill anybody !
greubel

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:51 pm

[quote="thehomelessguy"] Go with Roksbox. It's free. [/quote]

Roksbox is not free. It requires a One-time Lifetime Registration Fee that costs $15.00. Cheap, eh!?
CalvinMcGowan

Postby smalltalkdan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 pm

After a lot of searching, I finally found a reliable way to stream from PC to Roku. I currently run TVersity Media Server on a PC streaming through Xbox, but trying to find a way to get all TV content (Netflix, Hulu, local downloaded media) coming through a single source (Roku).

While a little clunky, PlayOn looks like the answer. It's clunky because (1) you need to install VLC media player and have it running and (2) it looks like media libraries need to be manually updated (but this is beta functionality, so that may change soon). But I've installed it and it works flawlessly, with no media conversion - it transcodes on the fly. This is perfect for me - almost everything I'm streaming is AVI, and no way I am going to convert it all.

...dan
smalltalkdan

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm

PlayOn is not approved by Roku. The PlayOn forum it the appropriate place to discuss it, not here.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby smalltalkdan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 pm

I would think that Roku would be interested in anything that makes their platform more attractive. And I would think that any Roku user with this issue would be interested in a solution. That having been said, if you are officially representing them or if they ask, I will be quiet on the topic.

If, however, you're just a rules Nazi, you may want to consider that having this information available is a good thing for the community, regardless of whether it has "official" support.

...dan
smalltalkdan

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion