?? Two Rokus Can't Play at the Same Time...?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

?? Two Rokus Can't Play at the Same Time...?

Postby shelleye » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Help, please. I am shifting my allegiance away from Cable and TiVo to Roku, and now have two HD rokus, one on each of our main HD tvs. We have a media tank, that streams our dvd collection, and a Netflix subscription. Tonight my daughter and a friend were in the basement watching a Netflix movie over the wireless Roku, and my son was trying to watch something on the ethernet connected Roku. All of his attempts to stream media either from Netflix, or from our NAS, failed. The stream would start, and the loading bar would get to the half way point, and then stop. I'm baffled: we have an ultra high speed internet connection (over 12gbps) (please excuse if I get my terminology slightly wrong), a gigabit ethernet network. The only explanation I can come up with is that the router is somehow not sharing traffic properly..? So that once the first Roku started streaming, there was no room for the second stream. But since one is wireless and the other wired, I can't see how this would happen.

Are there router settings I should be looking at/tweaking? I have both Rokus set to forced 3500K streams, because when I have them set to Auto they either choke on my NAS streams, or they default to lower quality streams, even when my network can handle it. Could this be my problem?

I hope someone with more network skills can help me out-- if we can't watch two Rokus at once, my plan to Roku-ize my house won't be able to work. :)
shelleye

Re: ?? Two Rokus Can't Play at the Same Time...?

Postby philsoft » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Can you temporarily run ethernet cable to the one that is wireless just to see if that resolves the issue?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby shelleye » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi! You were helping me on another thread-- :)

The problems, actually, are on the ethernet roku. The wireless roku started streaming first; the ethernet is the one that choked-- that's why I was baffled. Plus, the wireless is connecting to Netflix, but the ethernet couldn't connect either to the NAS or to the Internet. I thought bandwidth sharing issues only happened when two computers were trying to access the same wireless network at the same time, or when too many computers were trying to download movies from the same network server (ie Netflix).
shelleye

Postby philsoft » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:45 pm

I understand, but can you try it? If it is a router problem, it could be having a problem sharing between wired and wireless.
philsoft

Postby philsoft » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Also, do you have the latest firmware installed on your router?
philsoft

Postby RokuJon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:00 pm

In your router settings, I would also disable "Multicast filtering" if that is an option. Very good chance that would cause you lots of problems with multiple Rokus in action. (This setting can cause problems even with a single Roku... let alone two off the same router).
RokuJon

Postby shelleye » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks so much, guys. I'll try both tomorrow. More info on the mystery: turns out that my daughter (wireless) was not watching Netflix, just streaming from the NAS. Although, since we were having troubles on the wired box with both Netflix and the NAS, I suspect it's a router issue. Will report back once I have found a nice long ethernet cable and disabled multicast.
shelleye

Postby Tryton » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:13 pm

What netflix subscription do you have? if you have the 1 disk at a time, than you are only allowed to stream to 1 device.. two at a time, then 2 devices, and so on..
Tryton

Postby shelleye » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Yah, saw that in another thread. But it turns out nobody was watching Netflix at all. One kid watching local DVD collection from the NAS, and the other locked out of the Roku (Netflix or NAS or Kidlet) but streams that wouldn't complete. I'm going to troubleshoot some more tomorrow.
shelleye

Postby stoner38 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:03 am

Tryton wrote:What netflix subscription do you have? if you have the 1 disk at a time, than you are only allowed to stream to 1 device.. two at a time, then 2 devices, and so on..

I have 1 disk at a time and can stream 2 devices!
stoner38

Postby WetFactory » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:47 am

Tryton wrote:What netflix subscription do you have? if you have the 1 disk at a time, than you are only allowed to stream to 1 device.. two at a time, then 2 devices, and so on..

Is this written somewhere on their site?
WetFactory

Postby chris0071 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:04 am

From Roku's site:

http://support.roku.com/entries/221164- ... membership

How many Roku players can I use with a single Netflix membership?
Roku Support
posted this on Jul 22 18:07

You can activate up to 6 Roku players on any Netflix account provided that you have a subscription for unlimited DVDs. Unlimited refers to the number of DVDs you can receive in a month. Most Netflix plans are unlimited.

Note: Netflix does restrict the number of movies or TV shows that can be played simultaneously based on the plan purchased. The 1 DVD at-a-time plan allows 1 stream to be played at a time. The 2 DVDs at-a-time plan allows 2 streams to be played simultaneously. The 3 DVDs at-a-time plan allows 3 streams to be played simultaneously. All other unlimited plans can play up to 4 movies or TV shows simultaneously.
chris0071

Postby shelleye » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:54 am

Here's my report: last night, after my daughter stopped watching, we were still having trouble loading streams on the ethernet roku. So I performed a soft reset (Home 5x, up 1x, rev 2x, forward 2x) and then everything was fine. Other forum posts have described a similar situation-- the Roku hangs after adding private channels, and then gets back on track after a roku reset. I'll report back if the problem reappears, but I think it wasn't the router after all.
shelleye

Postby gadrago » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:55 am

It's worth a try to perform a Roku reset if any channel (not just Netflix) exhibits loading problems. Sometimes one channel will hang even though others will still work fine. The reset usually fixes what's wrong and only takes a couple of minutes to perform. I find it easiest to pull the power plug from the back of the Roku for a few seconds.
gadrago

Postby chris0071 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am

There is also the "number of channels" factor to take into consideration.

If you install something like 30 channels or more and the Roku goes bonkers.
chris0071

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion