Can I connect Roku with a Verizon USB760 boardband card?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can I connect Roku with a Verizon USB760 boardband card?

Postby pelicangal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I have told DISH to take hike! We've been using DVDs Netflix for about 1 1/2 years and love it. I have recently gone from using 'dial up' internet to using a broadband card from Verizon.
I need to know if I can plug my Verizon broadband card (looks like a memory stick) into one of the Roku players and connect to the internet that way. It's a Verizon USB760.
Please help. I would love to be able to stream movies from Netflix! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pelicangal

Re: Can I connect Roku with a Verizon USB760 boardband card?

Postby DerekHelps » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:13 pm

In order to connect the roku to the broadband card, you would need to use the card in your laptop and set up incternet connectio sharing with an ethernet cable running from laptop to DVP. probably not going to be an effective method as you will probably use up your bandwidth allowance very quickly.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby pelicangal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Oh well ! It didn't hurt to ask! I was hoping that I could just 'plug' it in the Roku. I guess that streaming was not meant to be, for me, at this time anyway. Broadband width is not a problem to me, I am unlimited, supposely. I just didn't want to use my laptop. I guess I can always stream directly if I wanted to watch it on the laptop...which I do not. Technology changes everyday so maybe in the near future there will be a solution for me! I hope so.
pelicangal

Postby DerekHelps » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:20 pm

If you have an unlimited plan, than the ICS will work well for you (assuming your connection speed is good
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby kumasuki » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 am

DerekHelps wrote:If you have an unlimited plan, than the ICS will work well for you (assuming your connection speed is good

"unlimited" refers to the 'quantity' of data (as in megabytes or gigabytes consumed in a particular time period) - unlimited in this context is not the 'speed' of the connection (or more accurately bandwidth capacity). No plan provides unlimited bandwidth! As Derek indicates, your connection speed needs to be at least 1.5mb down for standard-def content and 3-4mb down for high-def content. The usb modem you describe, while 'wireless', is actually a cellphone type internet connection (not a home wireless connection like B, G, N etc). Some of these plans claim to provide 1.5mb down but in reality don't consistently provide it. I'm not aware of any offerings claiming to reach 3mb or more down.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Robert99 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 am

Quality streaming video (such as the ROKU does), has demanding needs of your internet/ISP connection. And the style of internet connection (wireless pickup, likely from a cell phone tower) you have is usually not up to the challenge of providing the consistent internet bandwidth the ROKU needs. If it were me I wouldn't even try, as the results of getting it to work with your existing internet (if you can get it to work at all), likely "wouldn't be pretty".

In THEORY it is possible to overcome all of the problems, but the reality is that you will likely get "bit" by at least one of these problem (below), and all of them need to be "solved" to get things working as you want:

1) Your internet connection is USB, which is not a connection type the ROKU box supports. So you will have to use something else to convert the USB internet connection to either ethernet or home wireless (which the ROKU supports). As mentioned by other posters, a PC running "internet connection sharing" might be the easiest solution. However, I think there are also some stand alone routers with the ability to convert USB internet to normal ethernet and/or wireless (I'm not sure about costs and exact router models, however, so you would have to research this before buying).

2) You need a fast enough internet connection for video streaming. Many cell phone type modems (which is I think what you have), don't consistently have enough speed to support the bandwidth needed for (decent quality) real time video. So you need to know ahead of time how fast your ISP plan is realistically going to be (not the "advertised speed", the realistic testing of actual speed you can get). Ideally, this is 5 megabits or higher, but even a 1.5 megabit download speed could be doable if you are willing to put up with lower video quality. However, slower than that, and the video buffering would just be way too painful to watch.

3) Some of these ISP contracts have TOS (contract rules) preventing either such sustained video streaming, and/or the "tethering" needed to make that streaming work with a ROKU. So you need to very carefully check your internet service provider contract, to make sure that this is even allowed!

4) And finally (and perhaps most importantly), many cell phone type internet plans have very low limits on allowed usage in a month. For example 5 gigabytes a month limit is VERY COMMON with cell data plans (and some cell data plans have even lower limits than that). With the ROKU often using as much as 2 gigabytes of data PER MOVIE YOU WATCH, you could blow through a monthly data limit that low in under a day's use of the ROKU! And once you blow through that limit, you will (depending upon the details of your contract) either: A) have your access "throttled" to a practically unusable speed for the remainder of the month, B) have your plan terminated, or C) have a VERY COSTLY "overage" charge added for your use the rest of the month. So if you are going to use a ROKU on a cell plan (which appears to be what you are asking about), you have to pay very close attention to the bandwidth used by the ROKU (with your viewing pattern) and how that bandwidth compares with the data limits built into your ISP plan!!!
Robert99

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion