Khan Academy channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Khan Academy channel

Postby jhernes » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Working ok now thanks. Does this disqualified you from the contest.
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Postby NathanWhitehead » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:04 am

I hope it doesn't disqualify me :P

The change was on the content stored on the server, it didn't require changing the channel source code. So I think it's legal.

Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone this, but there is one thing I can't change that I wish I could... I misspelled Khan once in the channel description (as Kahn)!!! And I can only update the description once the content ends. So sad. :oops:
NathanWhitehead

Postby jbrave » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Looks like the Khan Academy just won the Google 10^100 contest... its at the top of the list:

http://www.project10tothe100.com/index.html
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
jbrave

Re: Khan Academy channel (audio cuts out, video quits early)

Postby RobMoore2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 pm

NathanWhitehead wrote:Thanks for the info, it helps :)

I tried some different options. Go ahead and give it another try and see if it works now. Fingers crossed...

Khan Academy channel - Audio dropout and premature audio/video termination with Roku XD/S

I’d appreciate any suggestions for resolving the problems I'm having

I recently connected my new Roku XD/S and was pleased to see the Khan Academy channel on Roku. Unfortunately, I’m experiencing audio dropout and premature termination of the videos. The video and audio start out fine, but then the audio drops out. Occasionally, the audio comes back for a brief instant and then disappears again (maybe something loses sync?).

I have been able to pick up sound again by fast forwarding and returning to play. However, the video and audio both terminate prematurely and the screen returns the next level up menu.

Sometimes, I totally lose the audio; even advancing or restarting the video, or exiting the channel and returning won’t get the audio back.

I selected Khan Academy’s Math/Linear Algebra and started the session on Indtoduction to Matrices. Quality level was 2 out of 4. Video and audio quality is fine, but the audio cut out about half way through. So far, in cases where I’ve been able to get the audio going again, the entire audio and video terminate before the Khan completes the lesson. The screen returns to the "Linear Algebra" menu button.

Other Roku channels are working without problem
The few YouTube videos I’ve viewed on the Roku YouTube channel worked fine and I’ve had no problem with the Roku Netflix channel.

Roku Info:
Software: version 2.9 – build 1509
Hardware version: model 2100X
Serial number: K0A0C1056726

Wireless connection via Apple Airport Extreme (B/G)

TV: Old analog Toshiba 36” Cinema Series TV, which still works well.

I’m using the RCA output jacks of the Roku and connecting audio via a Sony STR-DE635 A/V Receiver and connecting the Roku video RCA output directly to the TV video input jack.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks,

RobMoore2
RobMoore2

Postby botski » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm

I have audio issues with this channel as well. I was watching the first of the differential equation shows and the audio cuts out for long periods and then starts up where it left off. Unfortunately the video now is WAY out of synch with the audio. I will check tonight to see if this is repeatable still, but I have tried it 3 times and the problem has repeated itself each time.
botski

Postby ronald31 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Having Khan Academy on Roku is awesome. I enjoy the videos immensely. Thanks for making the videos available.

On some of the videos the audio quits early and it will not work when I replay it. On other videos it appears fine.

I don't have these issues with the other programs I have watched.

If anyone knows the solution to this please let me know.

My download speed is 2.5 MBPS.

Ron
ronald31

Re: Khan Academy channel (audio cuts out, video quits early)

Postby RobMoore2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks, Nathan, for looking at this issue again.

Unfortunately, I still have the problem with the Khan Academy channel. Video cuts out and restarting the video or channel doesn't bring it back. When I go out and open Netflix and then come back, the audio is back but subsequently drops out at the same place. Someone else reported that the audio eventually comes back, but way out of sync. I haven't waited around long enough to experience this.

As a test, I ran the second video in the Differential Equations sequence. I was getting two dots quality, but everything looked and sounded fine until Khan had just finished writing the first equation, then suddenly the audio was gone.

Partial failures are often the most difficult to track down to root cause. Other people seem to have had the situation resolve. Maybe I should try an optical cable for sound and see if that helps. I also have a new Airport Extreme with "N" capability ready to install. If either of these have any impact, I'll post the result.

RobMoore2

RobMoore2 wrote:
NathanWhitehead wrote:Thanks for the info, it helps :)

I tried some different options. Go ahead and give it another try and see if it works now. Fingers crossed...

Khan Academy channel - Audio dropout and premature audio/video termination with Roku XD/S

I’d appreciate any suggestions for resolving the problems I'm having

I recently connected my new Roku XD/S and was pleased to see the Khan Academy channel on Roku. Unfortunately, I’m experiencing audio dropout and premature termination of the videos. The video and audio start out fine, but then the audio drops out. Occasionally, the audio comes back for a brief instant and then disappears again (maybe something loses sync?).

I have been able to pick up sound again by fast forwarding and returning to play. However, the video and audio both terminate prematurely and the screen returns the next level up menu.

Sometimes, I totally lose the audio; even advancing or restarting the video, or exiting the channel and returning won’t get the audio back.

I selected Khan Academy’s Math/Linear Algebra and started the session on Indtoduction to Matrices. Quality level was 2 out of 4. Video and audio quality is fine, but the audio cut out about half way through. So far, in cases where I’ve been able to get the audio going again, the entire audio and video terminate before the Khan completes the lesson. The screen returns to the "Linear Algebra" menu button.

Other Roku channels are working without problem
The few YouTube videos I’ve viewed on the Roku YouTube channel worked fine and I’ve had no problem with the Roku Netflix channel.

Roku Info:
Software: version 2.9 – build 1509
Hardware version: model 2100X
Serial number: K0A0C1056726

Wireless connection via Apple Airport Extreme (B/G)

TV: Old analog Toshiba 36” Cinema Series TV, which still works well.

I’m using the RCA output jacks of the Roku and connecting audio via a Sony STR-DE635 A/V Receiver and connecting the Roku video RCA output directly to the TV video input jack.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks,

RobMoore2
RobMoore2

Postby Rennix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 pm

I also have this problem and would like to see it resolved. I think that this would be an awesome educational resource to have available on my roku.

In particular I don't have HDMI, just standard composite connections. The audo/video works fine for netflix and hulu+. But the Khan academy channel will either lose sound in the middle of the video, or the entire video will end prematurely. If the sound cuts out my roku will actually not make any sound at all until I get out of the channel and start up some other channel and being playing a video (netflix or hulu+, etc).
Rennix

Postby botski » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I see that some people somehow found success with the sound problem. I have not, and 4 months after posting my original problem I find that it is still a problem. The audio cuts out at Differential Equations, almost exactly a minute into it, right as he is drawing the delta symbols. Every time. Same as 4 months ago.

Hardware is model 2100x
Software is 2.9 build 1553

This rattles my chains a bit, especially seeing the deluge of religious channels flooding the Roku. Is Roku based in Kansas?
botski

Postby botski » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:22 am

I contacted Roku Tech Support about the audio cutting out on this channel and they told me to remove the channel and then re-add it. I was doubtful it would fix the problem, and it didnt.

Any ideas? Can anyone who says that the channel is working for them please try the first differential equation movie and let us know if the audio works?
botski

Postby kc8pql » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 am

botski wrote:
This rattles my chains a bit, especially seeing the deluge of religious channels flooding the Roku. Is Roku based in Kansas?

Just so you know, all channels are developed and maintained by the individual channel owners, who provide their own delivery networks, not Roku. Roku just sells the box and the platform software that runs it.
Anyone can have a channel on the box. Roku does not charge developers anything. The religious channel developers apparently know a good deal when they see it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ziipppp » Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I too love The Academy.
I too have an XD/S box and was excited to see the channel.
I too am having the audio drop, the video drop; basically this channel is unworkable.
Hulu Plus, Netflix etc just fine.

Maybe we could tell Khan and he could look into this?

Not sure why I only get 2 stars/balls of quality when everything else is 4 or 5 - is there a server that is getting deluged trying to stream all this stuff?

I've removed and added the channel and tried some other stuff - so far nothing works. Very sad.
ziipppp

Postby kc8pql » Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 pm

ziipppp wrote:Not sure why I only get 2 stars/balls of quality when everything else is 4 or 5 - is there a server that is getting deluged trying to stream all this stuff?

Many of the "smaller" channels only have one or two lower quality streams rather than the 5 or 6 that channels like Netflix or Amazon provide.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion