How to view XDS on multiple TV's?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How to view XDS on multiple TV's?

Postby jonfloyd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 am

Here's a NEWB Question- I'm about to buy an XDS, but can't find anything on the forums about how it works with multiple TVs. If I set the XDS up in my living room, can I use it to watch media on my TV in the bedroom? Do I need a second receiver? I have Verizon Fios decoder boxes connected on each of these TVs. How does that affect the wiring/sending of signal? Thanks.
jonfloyd

Re: How to view XDS on multiple TV's?

Postby KennyJ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 am

jonfloyd wrote:Here's a NEWB Question- I'm about to buy an XDS, but can't find anything on the forums about how it works with multiple TVs. If I set the XDS up in my living room, can I use it to watch media on my TV in the bedroom? Do I need a second receiver? I have Verizon Fios decoder boxes connected on each of these TVs. How does that affect the wiring/sending of signal? Thanks.

The box plugs into a TV like any other device. If you want to watch it on a second tv, you need to either: unplug it from the first and plug it into the second.... Or physically run wires to both TVs. Pretty much the same way you'd use 1 VCR with 2 TVs or 1 DVD player with 2 TVs.

As for the internet access. I'm not familiar with your setup. I don't know what a Verizon FIOS decoder box is. I have FIOS, but it comes into my house and connects to a router/modem. The router is wi-fi and I have 2 rokus connected to 2 tvs over wi-fi.

The Roku has 1 ethernet jack for internet and also wi-fi capabilities.
KennyJ

Postby kg4gyt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:22 am

The easiest way to do it would be to have separate Roku boxes for each television, it doesn't support multiple TVs at the same time. The XDS is pretty small and very easy to move around, so I suppose you could purchase an extra power supply and cables and put it somewhere easy to get to and move the physical box back and forth, but that seems a bit much.

All the box needs is an internet connection to work, so as long as you have either wireless or a wired connection at each TV then you should be able to set up boxes at each location.

EDIT: Looks like KennyJ beat me to it - hopefully between both of our explanations your question is answered.
kg4gyt

Postby jonfloyd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks guys. I thought the wireless nature of the XDS meant that it could broadcast to differing areas of the house. So I gather that wireless means it RECEIVES the signal via internet, not that it can broadcast. However my house is wired completely from a central location with 2 Coax cables to each room. So the question is-- can I put the Roku into the system in such a way that I can route it through the coax to ALL the TVs, and merely watch at the one I wish? Or would there be too much signal loss? Thanx.
jonfloyd

Postby kc8pql » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 am

jonfloyd wrote: So I gather that wireless means it RECEIVES the signal via internet, not that it can broadcast.

Correct.

jonfloyd wrote:However my house is wired completely from a central location with 2 Coax cables to each room. So the question is-- can I put the Roku into the system in such a way that I can route it through the coax to ALL the TVs, and merely watch at the one I wish? Or would there be too much signal loss? Thanx.

No. The Roku does not use coax. It connects to the internet either by WiFi or Ethernet cable and directly to the TV using HDMI, component or composite cables, depending on which model Roku you have and the inputs available on your TV.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kg4gyt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 am

jonfloyd wrote:Thanks guys. I thought the wireless nature of the XDS meant that it could broadcast to differing areas of the house. So I gather that wireless means it RECEIVES the signal via internet, not that it can broadcast. However my house is wired completely from a central location with 2 Coax cables to each room. So the question is-- can I put the Roku into the system in such a way that I can route it through the coax to ALL the TVs, and merely watch at the one I wish? Or would there be too much signal loss? Thanx.

Beyond the connection you need to consider how to control the Roku box. There are no buttons on the remote and the remote controls the box the same as most TV remotes, using infrared light, so line of sight (within reason) is the limiting factor for distance.
kg4gyt

Postby -LD » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 am

jonfloyd wrote:Thanks guys. I thought the wireless nature of the XDS meant that it could broadcast to differing areas of the house. So I gather that wireless means it RECEIVES the signal via internet, not that it can broadcast. However my house is wired completely from a central location with 2 Coax cables to each room. So the question is-- can I put the Roku into the system in such a way that I can route it through the coax to ALL the TVs, and merely watch at the one I wish? Or would there be too much signal loss? Thanx.

It's like a DVD player. Think of it that way. Does a DVD player transmit to every TV in the house? No. You need a DVD player for each TV you wish to watch DVDs on. Same goes for Roku. It's like a DVD player, but instead of discs, it streams from the Internet.
-LD

Postby gonzotek » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 pm

There are devices that can feed video into an unused channel so that you can view it on any television in the house;
http://www.smarthome.com/howto16.html

Not sure if it'd be worth it vs. just buying multiple Rokus for the locations you'd to watch at.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby imdaman99 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm

I have my digital cable box connected to 2 different tvs. Granted, it takes a little work, and odds are that it is more expensive to do than just buying another one. I have an HDMI splitter that sends the signal to both of my TVs. It is probably more worthwhile to do it with this because another cable box means at least $10 more a month and probably more if I wanted DVR services there. And I have a wireless IR extender to control the cable box. So you could do it that way but I don't recommend it since the HDMI splitter cost around 30 for me, and a wireless IR extender about another 30 US dollars. Tell us what you go with :)
imdaman99

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion