ESPN3 on Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: ESPN3 on Roku

Postby jinj » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 pm

snarler wrote:I'd rather pay the extra dollar a month they may pass on to me for having access to ESPN360 instead of the 45 I would need to pay each month to get access to ESPN / ESPN2 on cable to watch the occasional sporting event I might otherwise miss.

They are taking that 'dollar' from everyone else who will not watch ESPN, its how ESPN makes their money.
jinj

Postby HeadShrinker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:12 am

If you have one of the listed internet providers (in my case comcast) then you are ALREADY "paying" for ESPN3 regardless of whether you want to or not or whether you use it or not. I don't pay anything extra for it nor would they give me a refund if I called and said I didn't use it. So it's already included in the cost of your provider.

My only point was since many major providers give "free" access to it it would be nice to see it transported to Roku. I'd certainly use it more than I would UFC (just me personally) or many of the other premium channels.
HeadShrinker

Postby Redbullsnation » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:25 pm

comcast got it here, too
Redbullsnation

Postby doofstructor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Would love for this topic to get more discussion/support. ESPN3 is about the only way to get decent, out of market sporting events when you don't have sat. or cable.

Come on Roku. You can do it!
doofstructor

Postby devil.punchbowl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:22 pm

It's on the roku now via the Playon channel. If I remember correctly stream is shown in SD.
devil.punchbowl

Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

Postby bozzy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 pm

doofstructor wrote:Would love for this topic to get more discussion/support. ESPN3 is about the only way to get decent, out of market sporting events when you don't have sat. or cable.

Come on Roku. You can do it!

I don't see how. ESPN3 is exclusive to Xbox 360 afaik. Who knows how long this exclusivity is for though.
bozzy

Postby renojim » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Do you have any idea if that's the exclusive game console, or exclusive streaming device of any kind? I too would love to see ESPN3 without needing something like PlayOn (which doesn't work well for me).

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby azboo13 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm

we just need a channel developer (With access to espn3.com) to start the process of developing a channel.
If I knew how to code I would be on this in an instant.
azboo13

Postby kc8pql » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:16 pm

azboo13 wrote:we just need a channel developer (With access to espn3.com) to start the process of developing a channel.

Actually, you need one more thing. Rights to the content. $$$
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby azboo13 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 pm

true, but that hasn't stopped private channels from coming about.
But, your right it would be better if it was an offical ESPN channel.
azboo13

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:43 pm

This restriction from the ESPN FAQ:
=====================================================
How do I get access to ESPN3?

ESPN3 is available nationwide, but you must subscribe to a participating high speed internet service provider.
=====================================================
and after scanning the ESPN Terms of service at:
http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/terms.html
I find nothing other than the provider restriction to limit ESPN3 to certain boxes so, it seems, that a ch is at least possible.

The only problem I see is that the streams seem to go to the lowest possible quality after a short time fairly often even though I have plenty of speed available.

We can only hope that a kindly developer finds a way to get this done.
Gilgamesh

Postby TheEndless » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:44 pm

kc8pql wrote:
azboo13 wrote:we just need a channel developer (With access to espn3.com) to start the process of developing a channel.

Actually, you need one more thing. Rights to the content. $$$

Actually, you need one more thing... someone to verify that the stream(s) are in a Roku compatible format. Unfortunately, my ISP isn't a partner, so I can't check it out...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kc8pql » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:47 pm

azboo13 wrote:true, but that hasn't stopped private channels from coming about.
But, your right it would be better if it was an offical ESPN channel.

It also doesn't mean that private channels that don't have license for their content won't disappear. It's happened once already on Roku.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby renojim » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 pm

TheEndless wrote:Actually, you need one more thing... someone to verify that the stream(s) are in a Roku compatible format. Unfortunately, my ISP isn't a partner, so I can't check it out...

My ISP has ESPN3, but I've never been able to figure out how to get to the underlying stream. Endless and NWM seem to have a knack for this. I wish I knew their secret. It comes up in a flash player, so it may not be compatible anyway.

-JT
renojim

Postby devil.punchbowl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:32 pm

renojim wrote:
TheEndless wrote:Actually, you need one more thing... someone to verify that the stream(s) are in a Roku compatible format. Unfortunately, my ISP isn't a partner, so I can't check it out...

My ISP has ESPN3, but I've never been able to figure out how to get to the underlying stream. Endless and NWM seem to have a knack for this. I wish I knew their secret. It comes up in a flash player, so it may not be compatible anyway.

-JT

I have ATT, and ESPN3 stream just works. Don't have to do anything special to make it work. I would call your ISP to ask them about why you can't stream it. Maybe they can tweak something in their system to get it working for you. If they are in fact a partner.

As far as a roku channel. First need to know if stream format works with roku. If it does we need a dev who has a ISP that is partnered with ESPN3. In Playon stream is shown in SD. Is it SD on the PS3, or whatever game console supports it ? I'm pretty sure it streams in SD on computer. If it were to stream in SD on roku I would be less interested in it. Which is why I may not use it much on Playon/roku channel.
devil.punchbowl

Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion