Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GandK-Geoff
Visitor

Re: Web Browser

"kbenson" wrote:
A ported webkit (as a component or standalone channel) would get a fully compliant browser.

My personal happy place? WebKit and related libraries wrapped into components, usable from any channel. And a working sample channel in the SDK showing how to tie them together (at least minimally).

I will note that browser security is HARD, and it may be that Roku does not have the programming resources necessary to support an "official" browser channel and keep it fully patched up to be secure on the wild wild web. But being able to consume HTML/CSS from our own channels, much like the embedded browsers in many online game clients, would just rock.

"kbenson" wrote:
I was just referring to a very rudimentary browser, something reminiscent to the blackberry browser prior to their new apple-esque version. Something like lynx/links + images. While not exactly the best browsing experience, it could make certain types of browsing worthwhile.

And in doing so we may end up creating a good argument for a BrightScript JIT. 🙂

Or hey, all of the major JavaScript JITs have ARM ports, so maybe just offer that as a new programming environment? 😉
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

As a developer I really need the opposite, I need to see the roku screen on my computer, it is a pain having to toggle back and forth between roku and my computer every few minutes, not to mention having to share the roku with my girlfriend... I guess that is the only benefit of not having the postseason on roku/MLB 🙂

Wish there was some kind of vnc app in the roku that would echo out...
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
As a developer I really need the opposite, I need to see the roku screen on my computer, it is a pain having to toggle back and forth between roku and my computer every few minutes, not to mention having to share the roku with my girlfriend... I guess that is the only benefit of not having the postseason on roku/MLB 🙂

Well, you can pay $60 for unit to do dev on, so it's not TOO bad. That's pretty cheap, as long as you have a TV to hook it up to, and it's not like there's no use to when not doing development.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
scrager
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
"jbrave" wrote:

Well, you can pay $60 for unit to do dev on, so it's not TOO bad. That's pretty cheap, as long as you have a TV to hook it up to, and it's not like there's no use to when not doing development.

we're getting off topic now, but even with a dev unit, you have to switch from computer keyboard input to roku remote input and it is a pain. a proper ide (of which roku doesn't even supply an impropper ide) would allow you to view and test within the ide itself, including debugging code without putting in print statements all over the place.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"scrager" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:

we're getting off topic now, but even with a dev unit, you have to switch from computer keyboard input to roku remote input and it is a pain. a proper ide (of which roku doesn't even supply an impropper ide) would allow you to view and test within the ide itself, including debugging code without putting in print statements all over the place.

Yeah, but there are specific, obvious reasons for that. To truly emulate the unit would mean that Roku couldn't provide assurances to content providers that their content was safe, would allow people easier access to the firmware running, and wouldn't necessarily match the actual performance metrics of the device. This wasn't an oversight by Roku, it was a conscious decision.

I could actually make an argument that requiring development to be done on a live unit using the actual control mechanisms may result in better code, as developers are actively prevented from assuming something that works in their emulated version will work in the wild, which isn't always the case.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

More OT stuff...

I agree with kbenson. I'd much rather develop on the real thing than in an emulator/simulator. If the box was $1,000, I might think differently. I'm working on something for the Samsung Internet@TV now (what an absolute nightmare compared to the Roku, by the way) and it works in the emulator, but not on the real device. It's so easy to d/l and run something on the Roku that I don't think I'd use an emulator if I had one. The Samsung on the other hand, well don't get me started... :evil:

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

To develop without a TV, I bought an "iGrabber", video to usb.
Works on both mac and windows, better on mac. No switching.
Worked that way a month in Spain. Had a laptop, cheap wireless router, the Roku box and the iGrabber.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I have a monitor that supports picture-in-picture that I use for most of my development, but I also use a Slingbox when developing on my laptop.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

Here's what I do to get full web on my tv... I have a av switch ($40). To that, I connected roku, dvd, and a computer. For the computer, I bought a vga-to-video adapter ($40). The computer is an older one I had lying around, so I installed linux on it. I have a wireless mouse & keyboard... I have plans of making an IR receiver for my computer, so that I can use my universal remote for it.

What I would like to see is some sort of remote desktop in roku. I envision the computer streaming it's desktop & audio out to a standard video stream. Then roku could easily work with it. Use the arrow keys to control a virtual "mouse", and feed that back to the computer... which would then update the real mouse position, and reflect that in the video feed. And if roku gets a keyboard, we could also feed that back to the computer. That way roku only needs to do what it does best. 🙂

If that could be done for windows/linux/apple, then we would have a universal remote desktop protocol... 🙂

Anyways... that's my 2c's....
-YungBlood
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

there is nothing wrong with the idea of simple browser for the roku. at least for the home brew crowd.
I would like to be able to access the vlc web interface with my roku. since I can stream from vlc it would be nice to hit the web interface from the roku, but honestly the android vlc remote app is pretty cool, and since I use the android roku remote( so I can hide the roku in cabinet) its not bad. but it would be kinda cool to just use the roku remote and and not the vlc remote.