PlayOn Private Channel (Beta)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: PlayOn Private Channel (Beta)

Postby chasiliff » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I have 3.0.23. Will that work at all right now?
chasiliff

Postby atari800 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:55 pm

3.0.22 PlayOn is here
http://depositfiles.com/files/xqgm3gojz
http://hotfile.com/dl/75852165/53bf297/PlayOnSetup.3.0.22.exe.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/424925443/PlayOnSetup.3.0.22.exe
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AZ0COAWI
http://www.fileserve.com/file/7x45d8a
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b3eh50f/n/PlayOnSetup.3.0.22.exe

A suggestion for the GEEKIER people with machines that have a little more horsepower... get VMWare, VirtualBox, Parallels, etc
Set up Windows in it
Set it up to ask you to allow changes (when you shutdown - reboots dont count - if it doesnt work, then shutdown, discard changes and start back up with your old WORKING settings).
Just a friendly suggestion
Roku N1000
Windows 7 32bit / 4 gig ram / quad core @ 3Ghz
PlayOn server 3.0.22.1228
Playstation Media Server 1.20.412
atari800

Postby Ross410 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:14 pm

I have the new roku XD and I have the Play On server installed and the app installed but when I click on a channel like hulu it just sends me back to the home screen. Has anyone gotten this to work with the new players?
Ross410

Postby scyber » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Ross410 wrote:I have the new roku XD and I have the Play On server installed and the app installed but when I click on a channel like hulu it just sends me back to the home screen. Has anyone gotten this to work with the new players?

Playon just released a new version (3.0.23). This version made some changes that broke my PlayOn channel. Is that the playOn version you were running?

An updated version of the PlayOn Channel has just been published that resolves this issue. Go to the channel store and back out of it to get the updated version.
scyber

Postby doodlebug52 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:54 pm

You've certainly got your work cut out for you, keeping up with the frequent PlayOn releases. Keep up the good work.
doodlebug52

Postby The Sage » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Thank you for all your work!

With IE 8 and now 9 I would expect you will see many updates on programs like Playon
So long 54 - 1002 MHZ, hello cloud.
The Sage

Postby atari800 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:08 pm

scyber - is there a version of your playon channels that gives debug info?
Or (personal request) can you make an option that when you press down it jump 25% into the list...
Meaning -
Like on HULU B channels there are maybe 100 B shows
Press DOWN brings you to the 25 in the index
Press down again brings you to the 50th
and so on

Once you are at bottom (or 100 in my example) - obviously clicking right will take me to #1 again but pressing down will take me to 25
*move in 25% jumps

just a suggestion for quicker navigation
Roku N1000
Windows 7 32bit / 4 gig ram / quad core @ 3Ghz
PlayOn server 3.0.22.1228
Playstation Media Server 1.20.412
atari800

Postby candita » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I've tried to watch 6 shows on 6 different plugins & only 1 show played all the way through..hula played about 5 or 10 minutes & took me back to the screen..is anyone else having this problem? It gave no problems until i updated to the new version of playon & yes i went to the channel store for the fix
candita

Postby kumasuki » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm

candita wrote:I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I've tried to watch 6 shows on 6 different plugins & only 1 show played all the way through..hula played about 5 or 10 minutes & took me back to the screen..is anyone else having this problem? It gave no problems until i updated to the new version of playon & yes i went to the channel store for the fix

The recent fix was pretty hastily implemented - might take a few more tweaks before it's stable again (if you use the Roku PLayOn channel frequently, you might want to disable automatic PlayOn server updates and only manually update after any side-effects on the Roku channel have been addressed)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby DaBronx » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks Scyber.

I went to PlayOn and took the upgrade and then went into the channel store to sync and it is working well. Watching old Seinfeld episodes now on the PlayOn TBS channel with the Roku.

Your work is appreciated.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3, Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby chasiliff » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:58 am

It works now. This is a fantastic addition.
chasiliff

Postby scyber » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:33 am

doodlebug52 wrote:Well, here's what I tried this evening. I set the Video Performance to low and unchecked the "Always Process the Entire Media File" option (actually was already unchecked from trying to figure things out last night). I loaded the channel, went to the CW, selected a video (ANTM which I SO don't watch, but in the interest of this experiment, I just picked one), let it complete the initial "loading," then hit the pause button. I left it on pause for about 5 minutes, started playing the video and was able to watch 20 whole minutes (that's as long as I could tolerate those folks) without a single loading/replaying episode. Then I went to TV-Links, selected the most recent episode of NCIS, did left it on pause for 4-5 minutes at the beginning, then proceeded to watch the entire episode with only 1 load/restart episode. When that episode occurred, I went to my computer where there was a message on the screen about an upgrade for my antivirus software. I closed out that message, went back to my show, and watched to the end without further incident. I feel like I'm on the cusp of discovering, but I just don't know what it is. Was it the "low" video setting, the "don't always process the entire file," the pausing at the beginning to let things catch up with one another (for lack of a better phrase), or just dumb luck? Sorry to ramble on, especially since I don't really know how all this works, but any suggestions would be most appreciated, as I really, really want to keep the Roku if I can get it to play nice with PlayOn, or vice versa. Thanks for listening to my nonsense.

Based on the fact that you can pause the show, then come back and watch uninterrupted for a period of time, the weakspot seems to be your computer. It does not seem to be able to transcode to an HLS stream to work in "real-time".

When you say "set the Video Performance to low" do you mean in the PlayOn Windows program? Did you try and change the stream quality setting within the Roku Channel Settings on your TV? As I mentioned before, I'm not sure whether the settings in the PlayOn program impact the HLS streams that the roku is using. I do know I can select between 2 streams (High/iPad or Low/Iphone) when browsing the content. I'm not sure how much less CPU the lower quality stream uses, but in theory it should help.
scyber

Postby doodlebug52 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:05 am

Yes, I set the video performance level in PlayOn settings on computer. I will try changing that setting in the channel itself and see what, if any, difference that makes. Thanks for your input. Again.
doodlebug52

Postby scyber » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:37 am

atari800 wrote:scyber - is there a version of your playon channels that gives debug info?

When you sideload the app during development debug information is output to telnet. Published channels do not output debug information though. It would certainly be possible to capture it. The problem is determining what information to capture and how to display it.

Or (personal request) can you make an option that when you press down it jump 25% into the list...
Meaning -
and so on
Once you are at bottom (or 100 in my example) - obviously clicking right will take me to #1 again but pressing down will take me to 25
*move in 25% jumps

Well the FF and Rewind buttons already jump ~10 options at a time, so that does provide quicker navigation. As for the down button, I already have some idea for other uses for that button for future releases.
scyber

Postby scyber » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 am

scyber wrote:
Meaning -
and so on
*move in 25% jumps

Well the FF and Rewind buttons already jump ~10 options at a time, so that does provide quicker navigation. As for the down button, I already have some idea for other uses for that button for future releases.

Also for Hulu (I realize it was just an example), I'd recommend using the Queue feature on their website to organize content you may want to watch.
scyber

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion