[Private Channel] HGTV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

[Private Channel] HGTV

Postby TheEndless » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Ok, I've put together an HGTV channel based on the video content from the iPhone/iPad HGTVToGo application.
Currently there are full episodes from 14 different HGTV series, which should update as the HGTV feeds update. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=HGTV
Last edited by TheEndless on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New HGTV Channel - PRIVATE

Postby troydogtvtvtv » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:28 pm

endless it works great. Watching house hunters right now. A little out of focus but might be the stream itself.

Oh not to hijack this but home shopping network now has a new Chanel hsn2 http://hsn2.hsn.com/
troydogtvtvtv

Postby jcmolet » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Very nice work. Briefly checked out a few shows; a little disappointed in the PQ, but it is a nice addition; provides the ability to catch up on missed shows like Design Star.
jcmolet

Postby candita » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Endless is there anything u cant do? Wonderful Addition!
candita

Postby TheEndless » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:02 pm

jcmolet wrote:Very nice work. Briefly checked out a few shows; a little disappointed in the PQ, but it is a nice addition; provides the ability to catch up on missed shows like Design Star.

Some of the newer shows (like The Antonio Treatment and Secrets from a Stylist) are higher quality than the others, so I suspect they'll get better as they add new content.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby jcmolet » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:05 pm

TheEndless wrote:
jcmolet wrote:Very nice work. Briefly checked out a few shows; a little disappointed in the PQ, but it is a nice addition; provides the ability to catch up on missed shows like Design Star.
....so I suspect they'll get better as they add new content.

That is what I figured. By the way, also a nice job on the banner and color scheme; they look pretty good.
jcmolet

Postby chris0071 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Looks great from here.

I now have a much happier household. ;)

You rock.

Now if we could just get NFL Network and some live news working .... outside of justin.tv (I don't ask for much, huh?) lol

I really wish that I had the patience to sit down and figure out hos to create these channels. I do have one question though ...... most of the stuff online seems to run in a flash applet. How can you tell if it is something that is compatable with Roku?
chris0071

Postby Metro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Great job... This is why I like my Roku so much. :lol:
Metro

Postby kendiggs » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi all:

Hoping somebody can help with a problem I'm having with BOTH the new HGTV channel from theendless and the Pub-D-Hub (public domain hub) channel from CVP.

I go to my Roku account online and enter the private channel code, and it seems to work fine. (I'll use HGTV as the example here.)

I go to my Roku device and look at the working channel lineup on my "home" queue, and HGTV isn't there.

I go to the Channel Store and HGTV is there under "My Channels" (It does not appear under "All" or "New"--just "My Channels.")

I click on HGTV and am given two options: "Go to Channel" or "Remove Channel."

Of course, I want to GO to the HGTV channel to check it out, so I click on that.

I get the "please wait" window with the rolling wheel thingy for a few seconds, then it jumps to my "home" queue--where all my working channels, channel store, settings etc. are--gives me the "please wait" thingy for a couple more seconds--then dumps me on my "home" queue with no sign of HGTV being there among my working channels.

I try this over and over, and it always does that very same thing. I've never been able to get HGTV (or Pub-D-Hub) to work.

I've tried to update the player, but it tells me that I have the most up-to-date version installed. I've rebooted the player multiple times but always get the same thing when I try to use HGTV or Pub-D-Hub. I imagine other private channels would do the same. (Thenowhereman's YouTube channel works fine, though.)

FYI, it's the midrange player of the "old" models. (It has HD capability, HDMI & opti/digi audio out--but no "N" compatible WiFi--just G.) What's that model called again?

Anyway, this has been very frustrating, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Ken Diggs
kendiggs

Postby TheEndless » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Sounds like you have too many channels installed. The Roku has a limit of around 30 before it starts behaving oddly. Try removing some of your lesser used channels, and give it another try.
TheEndless

Postby kendiggs » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:22 pm

That was it!! I deleted several channels, and everything I was trying to add finally showed up.

I agree with Candita: TheEndless--is there anything you can't do?

Thanks!!

(On the downside, though, I was looking forward to folks like you creating all kinds of great private channels. Now I know I won't be able to activate many new ones before I get the same problem again. Maybe a future firmware update will fix this.)
kendiggs

Postby TheEndless » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:25 pm

kendiggs wrote:(On the downside, though, I was looking forward to folks like you creating all kinds of great private channels. Now I know I won't be able to activate many new ones before I get the same problem again. Maybe a future firmware update will fix this.)

Roku is aware of the issue and has stated that they're working on both short and long term solutions. No ETA, though.
TheEndless

Postby Steffanie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:17 am

Wow! I am absolutely blown away by our talented guru The Endless. This HGTV channel is fantastic: The graphics are wonderful, the content is outstanding. I couldn't be happier ~ HGTV on demand!
Steffanie

Postby scyber » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 am

Nice work Endless. My wife should be very happy.

Concerning video quality, did you happen to check if there are ipad specific videos. Many content providers are providing video to the Ipad has a higher quality than the iPhone content.
scyber

Postby bullardc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks for doing this!
bullardc

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion