CCTV as a private channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

CCTV as a private channel?

Postby DENZO » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm a newbie to Roku and this forum.This is an amazing little gadget.CCTV the official TV news of China used to be on Direct TV and was removed about a year ago. Although it's content is mostly propaganda, (some of it a bit crude) I enjoyed watching it, if for no other reason, it was interesting to see what slant China was taking on world events. This station is currently streamed online.I don't understand how a private channel becomes a private channel, but is CCTV a possibility for Roku and if so how does this happen? Thanks.
DENZO

Re: CCTV as a private channel?

Postby kc8pql » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Post the link. There are a number of talented users here that seem to be able to whip up private channels in no time if the stream is in a Roku compatible format.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jcmolet » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:20 pm

DENZO wrote:I'm a newbie to Roku and this forum.This is an amazing little gadget.CCTV the official TV news of China used to be on Direct TV and was removed about a year ago. Although it's content is mostly propaganda, (some of it a bit crude) I enjoyed watching it, if for no other reason, it was interesting to see what slant China was taking on world events. This station is currently streamed online.I don't understand how a private channel becomes a private channel, but is CCTV a possibility for Roku and if so how does this happen? Thanks.

If you are interested in news from foreign sources to get a different take on world events, checkout MHz Networks. They have news shows from France (France24), Russia (RT), India (Asian News International) and Al Jazeera (Middle East).
jcmolet

Postby DENZO » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm

DENZO

Postby TheEndless » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:10 pm

It looks like they use Windows Media for their stream, which, unfortunately isn't supported by the Roku.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby hn333 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 pm

A communist news network. Don't we already have fox news.
hn333

Postby ryanxwalton » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:17 am

hn333 wrote:A communist news network. Don't we already have fox news.

Speaking of Fox News. I saw that is still listed on the Private Channels list on roku-channels.com.

Is this an actual channel by itself, or is it just included in Newscaster?

I'm not a fan of Fox News, but I could always use a good laugh to get my day going!
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.
ryanxwalton

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion