Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Help

So,

I am looking for help for streaming to the Roku. I've got streaming to iPhone through Wowza going fine, both live and on-demand, but when I go to pull the exact same URL through the XML on the Roku, buffer bars come up for a split-second then go back to the previous page. When I look at the Wowza server as the stream is starting to get pulled it is showing that it is starting to create the stream only, then nothing like when I connect via iphone, where Wowza will create the stream and then return the server comment mediareaderh264cupertino.handlepacket whilst streaming the media to the iphone. While connected to telnet I get " an unexpected problem (but not server timeout or http error) has been detected. | index = -3" and also "video request failure: -3 0 ". I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here but below is what I do know:

inet connection 30mbps (tx) 10mbps (rx)
port 1935 is open
Roku firmware is update 2.7 built 857
media server = Wowza 2.1.2
Can stream live from quicktime broadcaster to iphone through wowza
can stream vod through wowza to iphone
no streaming to roku live or on demand through wowza
i've reset the roku multiple times
Can direct link to video files on server for roku to play
Video files are both mp4 and mov
no clue what smil is or how to use it 😕

Anyone have any clue? I can reciprocate $$ to anyone that can help bring this to fruition. 😄
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
retrotom
Visitor

Re: Streaming Help

In my experiences with the Roku, that is always related to some kind of minimum bandwidth required for video playback. I would suggest you turn on bandwidth debugging, lower the minimum bandwidth as already described on these forums, and while testing you should try to playback your stream multiple times in quick succession.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You'll also want to make sure that your stream is being encoded with the settings described by RokuMarkn here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31056&p=190110#p190110
"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Yes, the audio must be AAC, not MP3. It must also be LC profile, not Main, and the ADTS headers must correctly indicate LC profile.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

@retrotom - Sounds interesting, I'm going to look at that right now
@TheEndless - I checked that and it looks to be correct, from QuickTime Broadcaster it's encoding mpeg-4 and using aac-lc 80-bits/s | 48khz | 16 bit | mono
0 Kudos
astudios
Channel Surfer

perhaps this will be of some help?

viewtopic.php?p=190154
0 Kudos

@astudios - thanks, I keep on reading that thread over and over trying to see if something else will jump out at me. No avail. I don't understand smil files
0 Kudos
cgerrish
Visitor

You have to add this to get it to work
videoclip.minBandwidth = 20

Chris
Northland Church
0 Kudos

@chris - what file does that get added to?
0 Kudos
cgerrish
Visitor

Actually it will be in the showFeed.brs, and it will be
item.minBandwidth = 20
0 Kudos

Thanks, Chris! I'll give that a try! BTW I love your stuff!
0 Kudos