XDS component cable

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: XDS component cable

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:37 am

kumasuki wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:So, if you are going to substitute the component video cables with composite ones, you would be better off using three composite video cables than to use one composite video cable and two audio cables.

Implementing this suggestion requires manufacturing your own cable - the XDS doesn't have 3 RCA-type component connectors, so you'd have to solder 3 composite video cables (the yellow) to a single 3.5mm 4-pole plug.

Understood, but that was not the point. The point was: substituting audio cables for video cables is likely to be an unsuccessful substitution. But hey, I hope forkmedia does try the substitution and reports back that it was a success.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby DataStream » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:41 am

Eliminating an easy way of using a very common video connection in order to simply make the box smaller in a space where that is irrelevant is silly. Instead, such a move has either of two motivations behind it, and they are both economic. One is to make the customer have to pay extra for a proprietary cable. This could be a very lucrative deal. However, I don't think that was the chief motivation (just guessing here, of course) behind Roku's move. Rather, I think they cut the standard component outputs to shave a few cents off their manufacturing costs, figuring the demand for component is smaller anyway.

But I think it was a bad move, because these "special" cables are very difficult to find, and it is one of the major advantages it has over the Apple TV and several other competing products. Roku probably thought the supply would cover the demand for these cables, but I think this thread proves otherwise. I prefer standard outputs, lemme tell you. But I would not mind the combined port if the Roku box came with the cable, or if I could at least actually get it. But no go on either.

I expect to be getting my Roku player later today. Unfortunately, with no HD cables. Even my PS2 is hooked up via component. I will have to use the rather dated composite output instead. This will be a test run for the house with the first Roku box. I am afraid that the inferior composite quality will actually affect the perception in the house to what I've touted as a great solution for Netflix and Pandora (among others). Roku is not making itself look good. Even the overpriced cable pack isn't available. It's just ridiculous.
DataStream

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:58 am

Just buy an XR instead from Amazon (while they last) and be happy :) .
http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1101-HD-XR- ... 730&sr=1-4
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger

Postby forkmedia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Not sure how to reply to the last post directly above. Sounds a bit snide to me and totally missing the point.

In any case, I was not able to experiment with my composite video cable and the Radio Shack "snap choke core" because I could never find the cable. The Sony camera it came with is old and I used that camera with Firewire most of the time to offload video so the cable got misplaced.

I'm seriously considering returning the new XDS and just forgetting Roku, period.
forkmedia

Postby kmcgrath » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Just got my XDS from Amazon today. I also had a couple 3.5mm to 3 RCA cables from other devices lying around but neither worked. If I set the output to non-HD 16:9 I was able to get a picture but I was never able to get all the colors to show up. If I switched to 720p all combinations would just produce a scrambled picture that eventually went to a no signal screen.

I did order the cable from campus111.com that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hoping when it shows up it works. Figure for $4 it was worth the risk before dropping $20 on a cable pack and getting a bunch of cables I don't need.
kmcgrath

Postby kumasuki » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:25 pm

kmcgrath wrote:.... I also had a couple 3.5mm to 3 RCA cables from other devices lying around but neither worked. If I set the output to non-HD 16:9 I was able to get a picture but I was never able to get all the colors to show up. If I switched to 720p all combinations would just produce a scrambled picture that eventually went to a no signal screen.

This corroborates my experience with 3.5mm to R/W/Y cables (which I've posted previously in this thread)

kmcgrath wrote:I did order the cable from campus111.com that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hoping when it shows up it works. Figure for $4 it was worth the risk before dropping $20 on a cable pack and getting a bunch of cables I don't need.

If you do in fact receive the cable shown on the campus111 site, I expect it will work fine. My concern with the item listed by them is that they describe it as a 3.5mm to RCA (RWY) as opposed to component - so, either they have incorrectly described the product in the picture; or, they've used the wrong picture! You might want to call them and see if someone can clarify what you're actually getting.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby forkmedia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks to kmcgrath for reminding me about the campus111.com cable. They had four left when I ordered it just now. The site looks flaky and the order form never calculated shipping but I used my VISA and if they're screwy in any way, I will notify the cc company. The campus111 company is apparently listed on ebay and Yahoo so they're probably fine.

Oh, and I guess I'll keep my Roku. ; )
forkmedia

Postby kumasuki » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 pm

forkmedia wrote: The site looks flaky

Completely agree.

forkmedia wrote:the order form never calculated shipping but I used my VISA and if they're screwy in any way, I will notify the cc company. The campus111 company is apparently listed on ebay and Yahoo so they're probably fine.

They have a free shipping promo going on.

forkmedia wrote:Oh, and I guess I'll keep my Roku. ; )

Good decision.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby DataStream » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:01 am

Set up my Roku using the included composite cables. I am still interested in hooking it up via component of course. But image clarity and quality is surprisingly good for being a composite video input on a large flat panel. So at least it won't be a difficult wait for the component cables to ship.
DataStream

Postby Floyd R. Turbo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 am

Hi,
I do not have a Roku XD|S box but I do have a AipTek HD video camera.
The AipTek camera comes with a slew of cables. One of the cables is
a 3.5mm diameter jack that has three cables with RCA jacks attached
to it. The RCA jacks are red, green and blue. If you got to the AipTek store:
http://www.aiptek.com/store/
and then select "USB and AV Cables" under the "Replacement Parts" heading
(on the left of the screen) you'll see a scrollable list of parts.
Go to the bottom and you'll see a "HD video
component cable", no. ZCB-HDV-V for $9.99.
I haven't tried this but I think it will work.
Floyd
No matter where you go, there you are.
Floyd R. Turbo

Postby kumasuki » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am

Floyd R. Turbo wrote: "HD video component cable", no. ZCB-HDV-V for $9.99. I haven't tried this but I think it will work. Floyd

Judging by the image for this item:

There's no reason this shouldn't work fine.
kumasuki

Postby wataga123 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:29 pm

If anybody has the factory cable, please pin it out on a meter. Chances are if a r/w/y cable didn't work from a video recorder, trying all the combinations, the ground is different than normal. If this unit has screws on it, taking the top off and having a peak should reveal what the wiring is. Ok, just pried mine open after taking the 2 hidden screws out. Warranty is now void. :roll: Connector is Foxconn and what looks like a date code, no part number. Appears to be http://www.foxconn.com/NWInG/catalog/sp ... 205-4F.pdf. It may not be your normal 3.5 mm plug, there are 2 switches that open when you push it in. The spacing or width on the male plug band rings may be different than normal. Look at this cable, then this one, the 3rd ring down has a small step, the other does not. Foxconn website, do a search , then under specs. CR03C05A04-Y01-EF CR03C05R04-X02-EF. Not saying foxconn makes their cable, most likely not, could be anybody. I see foxconn selling 3.5 cables but are color coded for audio. This web site will explain the different pinouts, all 4 pole 3.5mm, there lies the problem, which pinout is the one we need? http://anythingbutipod.com/2006/04/zen- ... m-pinouts/ Some have the ground on pin 1 others have the ground on pin 2, colors will be different for the component but who cares, that is just trial and error. Just looking at this board some more, you could mod it to make the component come out of the 3 rca jacks, but using the component would either turn off the hdmi or composite. Damm, been a while since i soldered 603 or 802 ??? surface mount and this stuff is small.
wataga123

Postby wataga123 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:46 pm

It doesn't matter what they call it, 3 outputs and a common ground equals 4 pole. The cable could be custom made for Roku, and probably is, with whatever colors they ask for. If you go to radio shack and buy a component cable, cut the 3 ends off one side, wire up a 3.5 mm 4 conductor plug, it would work fine. You just have to know the pinout. I am going to wager that the one with the ground on pin 1 would work. That web page shows a standard camcorder pinout has ground on pin 2 and people have said that won't work so i am guessing the other pinout is correct. I don't have my esd stuff at home and i don't want to stick a meter on the circuit board, cannot see which pin goes to ground, silk screen doesn't show the traces.
wataga123

Postby kc8pql » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:56 pm

wataga123 wrote:If anybody has the factory cable, please pin it out on a meter.

I have a factory cable and I've thought about doing this. Now that you've asked, I'll try to get to tomorrow.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby forkmedia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 am

Just got an email from Roku - they're finally shipping the cable pack which includes the component cable for the XDS.

Thank you again for shopping at Roku. The following products for order number xxxxx have shipped:

Item Qty
XDS Cable Value Pack 1
This shipment shipped on 10/21/2010 at 7:28 AM using Ground Shipping.
forkmedia

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion