PBS on Roku

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

PBS on Roku

Postby spiffothemouse » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Now that PBS has developed an iPad and is working on an iPhone app, their video should be encoded in h.264, meaning it's now Roku compatible. Anybody know if someone's started working on a PBS channel or if there's a way to point the Roku to the streams that would go to the iOS device?
spiffothemouse

Re: PBS on Roku

Postby TheEndless » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 pm

It was only released yesterday... give us a chance to breathe ;)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby spiffothemouse » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Awesome, happy to hear it!
spiffothemouse

Postby TheEndless » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Don't get too excited... preliminary results don't look good... I'll post more when I know it...
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby TheEndless » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 pm

So, the good news is that the videos play fine on the Roku. The bad news is the URLs to those videos are provided by a secured API. So, unless PBS makes that API public, someone takes the (significant amount of) time to index the content manually, or someone partners up with PBS, it's unlikely there will be a channel anytime soon.
TheEndless

Postby spiffothemouse » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks for looking into this, hopefully PBS makes this a project soon.
spiffothemouse

Postby veggieguy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I submitted a comment via the PBS feedback page, asking if a Roku channel was in the works. I also asked whether they would be open to allowing the community develop one if they have no plans to. Will see if I hear back.
veggieguy

Postby WardFamily » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Good Luck! I am looking forward to the day.
http://lindenalabama.net
WardFamily

Postby QuantumIguana » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 am

If they get this, I may sign up as a member of my local PBS station. But I think I value different shows than they do, judging by what they use for pledge drives - or at least they think the viewers value something else. I love Nova, Nature, Nova Science Now, Secrets of the Dead, really the science and history shows. I remember when they used to run Cosmos during pledge drives. Now it's musicians that I don't care about and lots of awful motivational speakers. I'd like to pledge, but I want to make sure they understand that the things on PBS that I value are not the things that they value.
QuantumIguana

Postby vnzjunk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:38 am

I watch quite a bit of PBS. The lack of commercials is a real plus (especially during this election season). While I like several offerings, there are many that I do not care for. Thats ok but the problem I have seen so far, at least with the pbs offerings for the Roku is that they are far from a complete list of what PBS has to offer. The ones that I would want to watch do not seem to be in these listings while much of the stuff that I do not care about is. What I look forward to seeing is a more or less complete offering from PBS channel developers.........or any other major source of programming. It doesn't necessarily have to be real time streaming, just more complete offerings.
vnzjunk

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Better PBS coverage would be a real plus. They have a lot of great shows.
EscapeVelocity

Postby DayN2nite » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:34 am

PBS on Roku would be a dream come true. Don't forget 'Scientific American Frontiers'!

And, yes, I agree with the poster upthread: The disappearance of science programming during pledge drives (not to mention waking hours!) is more than a bit alienating.
DayN2nite

Postby emarkay » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:26 pm

PBS - we pay for it via taxes, so it should be free - and when it is "platformed" for the Roku, I will want to see it in full HD and 5,1
emarkay

Postby smlsr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:34 pm

TheEndless wrote:So, the good news is that the videos play fine on the Roku. The bad news is the URLs to those videos are provided by a secured API. So, unless PBS makes that API public, someone takes the (significant amount of) time to index the content manually, or someone partners up with PBS, it's unlikely there will be a channel anytime soon.

Endless, contact me privately... No need, their is an easy way and is public...
smlsr

Postby Gunn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Sweet Thanks!
Gunn

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion