DVPRemote 2.0 for your iOS device is on the app store now!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

DVPRemote 2.0 for your iOS device is on the app store now!

Postby pirey4 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 pm

DVRRemote 2.0 is a completely redesigned Roku remote control for your iOS device (iPhone, iPod, or iPad) that supports some unique new features as well as newly introduced Roku features. The list of new features includes:

• Support for new "Instant Replay", "Info", and "Back" buttons.
  • Integration with Netflix to support automated Instant Queue navigation. DVPRemote provides the list of movies in your instant queue which can be presented in queue order or alphabetical order. It allows you to select a title from the list by tapping on it or entering a search term to find it and then automatically navigates to it on your Roku (great for large instant queues). No more left, left, left, ..., or right, right, right, ..., to find and select the movie that you want to see!!
  • Full keyboard support for any screen that requires text entry (including symbols and non-english characters). (Search automation from Version 1.5 is no longer needed since text can be directly entered.).
  • Improved Player discovery speed and accuracy.
  • Improved key repeat.
  • Direct Navigation to Channels through Channel List tab.
  • Toolbars for additional channel functionality where supported (currently only Netflix).
  • Support for iPhone 4 Retina Display.
  • New 12 button remote skin.
  • Tested with iOS 4 (including support for background operation).

You can find DVPRemote on the app store at the following link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dvpremote/id323191554?mt=8#

You can see DVPRemote 2.0 in action at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlYhsEEw_9Y.

You can read more about DVPRemote 2.0 at the following link: http://dvpremote.claytongrafix.com/apps/DVPRemote.html

You can find some screenshots of DVPRemote 2.0 at the following link: http://dvpremote.claytongrafix.com/apps/DVPRemote_-_Screen_Shots.html

Special thanks to my beta testing team some of whom frequent these forums!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, PM me or send an email to pirey4@claytongrafix.com.

Thanks for your support,

phil
Last edited by pirey4 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pirey4

Re: DVPRemote 2.0 for your iOS device is on the app store no

Postby nrao1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Nice!
nrao1

Postby hutchinshouse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Just downloaded it. Awesome.

Hoping to get the iPad version soon.
hutchinshouse

Postby jcmolet » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:41 pm

hutchinshouse wrote:Just downloaded it. Awesome.

The app is iPad compatible...or do you mean optimized for the iPad's size?
jcmolet

Postby senorgregster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm

This is one heck of an app. The new features are awesome. Great job. I encourage everyone to look at the youtube video too (using Nowhereman's channel of course :D )
senorgregster

Postby hutchinshouse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 pm

jcmolet wrote:
hutchinshouse wrote:Just downloaded it. Awesome.

The app is iPad compatible...or do you mean optimized for the iPad's size?

iPad size.
hutchinshouse

Postby madgoalie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Awesome. Thank you. Downloading update now.
madgoalie

Postby hammerpocket » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am

Phil, this is a spectacular update. The improvement to search text entry alone would have made this a great update. One complaint: It's confusing that the "search" button on the keyboard doesn't seem to do anything - you have to click "enter" instead.

Incidentally, I am the person who had emailed you about trouble with my iPod touch that was getting terrible ping stats. That problem was eliminated when my wife surprised me with a 4th generation iPod on my birthday. However, I downloaded DVPRemote 2 to the older iPod, and while it still has issues, the search function is actually useable on it, unlike the older DVPRemote.
hammerpocket

Postby sharpedge » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks Phil, just updated on my iPod touch. Lots of nice updates, especially cool that I now have access to the new buttons without buying a new remote :-)
sharpedge

Postby DeftOne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Dave Zatz (zatznotfunny.com) gave it a pretty flattering review:

You Should Buy The New Roku iPhone Remote App

Nice job! :D
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby redbeard36 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:59 pm

I've had it sitting on my ipad for months and never used it. But this update is fantastic. Ilove the keyboard and being able to type words instead of hunting and pecking with my thumb.
redbeard36

Postby pirey4 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:07 pm

hammerpocket wrote:Phil, this is a spectacular update. The improvement to search text entry alone would have made this a great update. One complaint: It's confusing that the "search" button on the keyboard doesn't seem to do anything - you have to click "enter" instead.

Incidentally, I am the person who had emailed you about trouble with my iPod touch that was getting terrible ping stats. That problem was eliminated when my wife surprised me with a 4th generation iPod on my birthday. However, I downloaded DVPRemote 2 to the older iPod, and while it still has issues, the search function is actually useable on it, unlike the older DVPRemote.

Thanks! I do remember the issues you were having. Congrats on the 4th gen iPod.

The search automation function was an interim solution (some might say "hack") to provide a much needed capability. Unfortunately, the interim solution was sensitive to timing so what worked really well on one device might not work as well on another. I tried to pick compromise settings to give reasonable performance on all devices I could test on and configuration settings for fine tuning but this didn't aways work. Anyway, enough about the past. The native API solution is clearly superior. Thanks Roku!

Ideally, I'd like to map the "Search" button to the "Search" capability documented in the 2.7 External Control Guide but my understanding is that it isn't implemented in the Netflix channel yet. When it is available, I'll try to do that.
pirey4

Postby pirey4 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:28 pm

A couple of customers with really small queues just helped me find the first major bug in the 2.0 release. I added the following to the DVPRemote Release Notes on the App Store:

*** NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST 10 MOVIES IN YOUR NETFLIX INSTANT QUEUE OTHERWISE THE NETFLIX IQ FUNCTION WILL CRASH THE APP. THIS WILL BE FIXED IN THE NEXT RELEASE ***

And they say queue size doesn't matter...
pirey4

Postby DeftOne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Ah, that's not a bug. That's just encouragement for the end-user to take better advantage of their monthly Netflix fee by keeping a respectable queue size. I mean, geez, who has less than a 10 movie queue anyway? :P
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby dynamitemedia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:22 pm

you did a great job!! love it
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
dynamitemedia