What went wrong with 2.8 ?

Roku's free SDK allows developers to build channels and applications and publish them to the Roku Channel Store. Register for the Developer Program at http://www.roku.com/developer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuChris, RokuJoel

What went wrong with 2.8 ?

Postby greubel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:33 pm

I've received a couple of complaints about videos getting black bars with 2.8
and there have been rumblings in the forums about it also.

I'm currently on 2.7 but I upgraded one of my boxes to 2.8 for this demo.
Same movie, same TV but in different modes with 2.7 and 2.8 software.

Please check out the difference - http://www.chaneru.com/Roku/Roku%20Update.html

Anyone know what can I do to fix it ??????
greubel

Re: What went wrong with 2.8 ?

Postby TheEndless » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:43 pm

There's nothing you can do right now. Roku is aware of the issue and is working on it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RockyFord » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Even money Roku says it's an encoding problem. Probably something to do with the anamorphic setting.

Just a guess.
RockyFord

Postby astudios » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:09 am

actually, in our application, it seems that 2.8 fixed the aspect ratio problem. before 2.8, all of our 4:3 videos were being stretched on a 16:9 screen. but now they are maintaining their proper 4:3 aspect ratio. so, we're glad whatever they did seemed to fix the issue for us. see our thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30672

bottom line, roku, if you're looking into this issue to fix it, i hope it doesn't break for us!

p.s. we are using wowza to stream our videos (VOD). we are also using wowza to stream our LIVE videos -- adobe encoder and wirecast.

thanks,
steven
astudios

Postby dynamitemedia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:43 pm

yeah i just found that HLS is not working with my channel or even adding it as a simple video player

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33646

i added the .m3u8 in my channel and no good and tried also with the examples and its just looping oddly

do we know exactly what is going on with this and what is wrong with 2.8

its weird that some Devs seem to be more in the loop on some of this stuff
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
dynamitemedia

Postby kbenson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm

dynamitemedia wrote:its weird that some Devs seem to be more in the loop on some of this stuff

I brought this up recently: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33651
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
kbenson

Postby dynamitemedia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm

yeah i remember seeing it somewhere.... its not so much being part of beta either, but knowing what these bugs are when we are being asked.

i think each Dev should know these issues, because if you haven't noticed we are the ones getting the blame for this stuff and when it doesn't work.

and for the people who do not frequent the forums to find out what is the problem, I would say we get 90% the blame from those folks.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
dynamitemedia

Postby kbenson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 pm

In the end, there's little Roku can do to make sure the developer channels function fine for each release. The best solution really is for developers to be part of the beta program, and to know well in advance of when the beta is to go live. There's enough people in the beta program that getting some good test coverage shouldn't be too hard. If not enough people in the beta have access to a channel that requires payment, a few temporarily free accounts should get some testers (and may actually turn into paid accounts later).

I've actually spent a fair amount of time thinking about this (I've posted about it more than once, and I tend to try to posit solutions in my posts), and the more complex the solution is (such as allowing users or devs to choose one of the last X firmware releases for their unit) all have significant drawbacks. Just including the developers in the beta and lots of open communication with them about the status of the beta releases is the easiest solution all around, and puts very little pressure on all involved (read as easy to implement and follow, little to no implementation time).
-- GandK Labs
kbenson

Postby RokuPatrick » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm

We think we've identified the issue with the squeezed video and are working to get a fix released ASAP.

Patrick
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby Arwen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:We think we've identified the issue with the squeezed video and are working to get a fix released ASAP.

Patrick

Thank you.

In my case, I only have 3 music videos, (from a DVD I own), and 1 movie,
(also owned), that I have transcoded with Handbrake. These worked fine
with 2.7, but got the very wide vertical black bars and compressed image
with 2.8.

If Handbrake, (or others), are doing something wrong, like with the header
information, let us know. I'd gladly re-encode if their is some option I am
missing or need to remove.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby markhood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:We think we've identified the issue with the squeezed video and are working to get a fix released ASAP.
Patrick

Have you figure out why the MyMedia channel no longer works with 2.8? The problem there isn't squeezed video, but no display at all; still, could the problem have to do with using Handbrake CLI to transcode to mp4? If there are recommend parameters to Handbrake CLI that could solve this problem, please let us know.

Also, can you confirm if blocking api.roku.com at the DNS level would be effective in allowing owners of the Roku devices to block the final 2.8 push if it still breaks MyMedia? The blocking seems to have some effect in that the Channel Store is no longer available, and nothing else seems to be affected, but of course I'm not going to try the manual update procedure in order to test it :D

I understand that Roku put some text in the EULA where you reserve the right to update the firmware as you please, but are you intent on enforcing it or will you provide a way to opt out? Anybody who opted out of course would no longer be eligible for support from developers or from Roku unless they install the latest firmware.

The best solution would be to fix 2.8 so that MyMedia and other local streaming channels still work, but I understand that might not be possible if MyMedia in fact is doing something wrong that only worked accidently with 2.7.

Thanks!
Last edited by markhood on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markhood

Postby renojim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 pm

It's looking more and more that the myMedia issue is not Roku's fault. I apologize to the the good people at Roku for assuming it was. The buffering/retrieving seems to have changed significantly from 2.7 to 2.8 and it exposed a couple of bugs in el.wubo's Python server. I'm still working on it and should have it fixed in the next day or so. I haven't been able to test the squished video issue, but I don't know why myMedia would be immune to it.

-JT
renojim

Postby markhood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:09 pm

renojim wrote:It's looking more and more that the myMedia issue is not Roku's fault. I apologize to the the good people at Roku for assuming it was. The buffering/retrieving seems to have changed significantly from 2.7 to 2.8 and it exposed a couple of bugs in el.wubo's Python server. I'm still working on it and should have it fixed in the next day or so. I haven't been able to test the squished video issue, but I don't know why myMedia would be immune to it.

-JT

Excellent news JT! It's much better to know that there are bugs in MyMedia then some fundamental incompatibility with the firmware. In fact I edited my previous post just moments before I saw yours because I didn't want to put all the blame on 2.8. I'm very glad that it seems I won't have to fight what will probably be a losing battle to keep 2.8 out of my device!

I didn't know you were working on MyMedia. I've been thinking of diving in myself as a good excuse to learn Python. I'm more interested in the server side than the BrightScript stuff, so perhaps when I get more familiar with the language we can collaborate and make sure MyMedia stays viable.

Best regards!
Mark
markhood

Postby kbenson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 pm

renojim wrote:It's looking more and more that the myMedia issue is not Roku's fault. I apologize to the the good people at Roku for assuming it was. The buffering/retrieving seems to have changed significantly from 2.7 to 2.8 and it exposed a couple of bugs in el.wubo's Python server. I'm still working on it and should have it fixed in the next day or so. I haven't been able to test the squished video issue, but I don't know why myMedia would be immune to it.

This wouldn't happen to be open ended range requests with RST packets sent to stop the request after a few thousand bytes are retrieved? I'm (finally!) getting around to actually streaming some video in a channel I'm developing, and was trying to figure out why it looked to be taking so long. Examining the packet dump of the request shows some... interesting behavior.

Then again, for I know about network video delivery, maybe that's the norm.
-- GandK Labs
kbenson

Postby renojim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 pm

It probably is something similar, but I haven't looked at exactly what's going on because I just got the Python server to handle range requests properly (but it still doesn't work :( ). From what I'm seeing, it requests the whole file twice (probably sending RST or something similar), then it sends an open ended range request starting at offset 28 (which probably also gets stopped somehow), then sends another request for the whole file. Then I get the "unexpected problem" error message on the console. Of course, all of this was before I got (I think/hope) the range requests working properly, so it may not apply. I'm just about to delve back into Wireshark to see if I can figure out anything more.

I can say that a packet dump from 2.7 looks nothing like one from 2.8. It also looks like 2.8 is more particular about incorrect responses and/or server timeouts.

-JT
renojim

Next

Return to Roku Developer Program