Internet access via ROKU?

For general discussion of the Radio Roku web site and its features.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Internet access via ROKU?

Postby ken95448 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:50 am

I'm a new ROKU user....and I think that I may have jumped the gun here. I thought that in addition to connecting to NetFlix, Pandora, Radio Pardise, etc, that my laptop could also connect/stream through the ROKU device (via my WiFi connection) to the TV set. Is the ROKU device not involved in connecting a laptop to the internet and have my TV (older/pre-HiDef model) linked for the lager picture?

I would like to be able to stream other websites as well as display my photo's etc., which are stored on my harddrive from my laptop to my TV. Is this possible with the ROKU device or do I need to get a new HDTV and have my laptop physically connected to the TV via an HDMI cable?

I dont want to have to subscribe to Google TV, Dish Network, Comcast, or any of the other "services". I've dumped them as they provide 5% news/entertainment and 95% garbage at $60 and more, per month! And we are still forced to watch the commercials, and at a higher volumn. I would rather pay $5/mo to each of the services that provide commercial free news and entertainment than support the "cable" companies and their lack of quality programming.
ken95448

Re: Internet access via ROKU?

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 pm

First of all, you are posting in the wrong forum.

Second, the functionality you are referring to is not officially available. It may be at some time in the future, but as of today, no. There are a few private channels that provide local network streaming access but it will require some technical knowledge to pull off and it's not something we as a company officially support. Some of the more technically savvy users here might be able to help. You would be better off posting your question here:

viewforum.php?f=28
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby ken95448 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply RokuJamesL.

Sorry if I posted in an inappropriate location. Your reply included a link (viewforum.php?f=28) that sends me to a page that has two headings "Announcements" and "Topics". Which were you intending that I should change my post to in order to gain further insight/assistance?

Thank you for your assistance/reply.
ken95448

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Only forum administrators can post announcements. You were able to post your original message in this forum by clicking the "new topic" button at the top of page. It's the exact same procedure in the other forum.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Return to RadioRoku.com General Discussion