Can the Internet, Laptop, & ROKU be all linked to a TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can the Internet, Laptop, & ROKU be all linked to a TV

Postby ken95448 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm a new ROKU user....and I think that I may have jumped the gun here. I thought that in addition to connecting to NetFlix, Pandora, Radio Pardise, etc, that my laptop could also connect/stream through the ROKU device (via my WiFi connection) to the TV set. Is the ROKU device not involved in connecting a laptop to the internet and have my TV (older/pre-HiDef model) linked for the lager picture?

I would like to be able to stream other websites as well as display my photo's etc., which are stored on my harddrive from my laptop to my TV. Is this possible with the ROKU device or do I need to get a new HDTV and have my laptop physically connected to the TV via an HDMI cable?

I dont want to have to subscribe to Google TV, Dish Network, Comcast, or any of the other "services". I've dumped them as they provide 5% news/entertainment and 95% garbage at $60 and more, per month! And we are still forced to watch the commercials, and at a higher volumn. I would rather pay $5/mo to each of the services that provide commercial free news and entertainment than support the "cable" companies and their lack of quality programming.
ken95448

Re: Can the Internet, Laptop, & ROKU be all linked to a TV

Postby notserpmh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm a new ROKU user....and I think that I may have jumped the gun here. I thought that in addition to connecting to NetFlix, Pandora, Radio Pardise, etc, that my laptop could also connect/stream through the ROKU device (via my WiFi connection) to the TV set. Is the ROKU device not involved in connecting a laptop to the internet and have my TV (older/pre-HiDef model) linked for the lager picture?

I would like to be able to stream other websites as well as display my photo's etc., which are stored on my harddrive from my laptop to my TV. Is this possible with the ROKU device or do I need to get a new HDTV and have my laptop physically connected to the TV via an HDMI cable?

No, it is not possible with a Roku. There are a few Roku channels that can stream specifically formatted video from a shared folder/computer, but that is about it. You can't get your laptop display on your TV using a Roku. There also is no "general" Internet access (ability to go to any site) from the Roku. The Roku consists of channels, which get their content over the Internet, but if a channel hasn't been developed for it, you can't access it using a Roku.
notserpmh

Re: Can the Internet, Laptop, & ROKU be all linked to a TV

Postby canaws » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:01 pm

ken95448 wrote:I would like to be able to stream other websites as well as display my photo's etc., which are stored on my harddrive from my laptop to my TV. Is this possible with the ROKU device or do I need to get a new HDTV and have my laptop physically connected to the TV via an HDMI cable? .

You can get some media (pictures, video, & music) from your laptop to the roku using one of the webserver channels like MyMedia, roksbox, etc. Roku has limited video file support though.

As notserpmh said, the roku box only displays whatever is made available through it's channels. So, you can't display the regular web on your tv with it. You don't have to have an HDTV to hook your laptop up to your tv though. If your laptop has an s-video out then you can hook it up to your standard tv with the right cable from radioshack, although I imagine that text would be much easier to read on a larger/HD tv.
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion