cannot connect via WPA-PSK?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

cannot connect via WPA-PSK?

Postby laughingman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm

I purchased a Roku XD player yesterday and am having serious problems getting it to connect to my wireless router when the encryption is on.

If I turn off encryption, it works just fine: connects with no issues quickly and easily. However, when I turn on my encryption the roku cannot even connect to the wireless network. I know that I have the encryption key correct, and that I do not have any MAC filtering or any other restrictions on what can connect to the router. I'm not a networking expert but I'm not a novice, either. I've done everything I can and short of keeping my network open I'm not sure what else to do.

Does the Roku have problems with encryption? Are there any workarounds I might try? I appreciate any advice you all can offer; I just spent about 40 minutes on the phone with Roku tech support and they could not help me resolve this issue. They were extraordinarily helpful but the best advice they could offer is to try WEP, not WPA.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
laughingman

Re: cannot connect via WPA-PSK?

Postby renojim » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm using my XD/S with WPA-PSK, so it should work. I remember someone posting something about using a key that was too short :?: and having problems. My password is 10 characters. I'd be surprised if that's it, but you never know.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby canaws » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

laughingman wrote:I purchased a Roku XD player yesterday and am having serious problems getting it to connect to my wireless router when the encryption is on.

If I turn off encryption, it works just fine: connects with no issues quickly and easily. However, when I turn on my encryption the roku cannot even connect to the wireless network. I know that I have the encryption key correct, and that I do not have any MAC filtering or any other restrictions on what can connect to the router. I'm not a networking expert but I'm not a novice, either. I've done everything I can and short of keeping my network open I'm not sure what else to do.

Does the Roku have problems with encryption? Are there any workarounds I might try? I appreciate any advice you all can offer; I just spent about 40 minutes on the phone with Roku tech support and they could not help me resolve this issue. They were extraordinarily helpful but the best advice they could offer is to try WEP, not WPA.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I have my (older) box connected via wpa2-psk, so it should work for you too. However, someone else did mention that they were having problems hooking their box up with wireless security on too.

My suggestions? <---not even close to an expert

1. Check the Compatible Wireless Routers and Access Points thread to see if anyone has had luck and/or problems with your router.
2. Try wpa2-psk, if you can
3. If your security is mixed (wpa2 & wpa) try just one.
4. Check for router firmware updates
5. Try a factory reset
6. Unplug the box a couple times in a row (worked for me :wink: )
7. DMZ your box with a static IP, if you can
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:46 pm

No one has a reason, least not that I've heard, but WPA2 works better with the Roku. I had no trouble with either however. I know the Xbox 360 used to only support WPA but most G and N products support WPA2. I set my router to "WPA2 only" but there is a mixed encryption mode.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby laughingman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies. It appears that the player won't work with the dual WPA/WPA2 enabled, and I had to just pick one. All solved now, thanks to the good help from this board.
laughingman

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion