Streaming my media to Roku????

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Streaming my media to Roku????

Postby comicfanman71 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Ok I've got the "MyMedia" channel on my Roku but do not know how to put media into the folders. To be honest I don't even know if I have the server set up right. I have the roku hd player, pc is running win7, and I'm using a netgear router. Any help would be great. Thank you
comicfanman71

Re: Streaming my media to Roku????

Postby hoffmcs » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:57 pm

A new walkthrough was posted at http://rokumm.appspot.com/walkthrough. Did you check that out?
hoffmcs

Postby comicfanman71 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Yes I did but I am still doing something wrong. Thank you
comicfanman71

Postby MacAttack103 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:30 pm

You would think that you could find an easy set up answer from the Roku staff. But apparently they do no have any answers for us either. Perhaps they should investigate there own product to give out some help.
MacAttack103

Postby TheEndless » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

MacAttack103 wrote:You would think that you could find an easy set up answer from the Roku staff. But apparently they do no have any answers for us either. Perhaps they should investigate there own product to give out some help.

If MyMedia were developed and supported by the Roku staff, I imagine you would, but it is not. It's a private third-party channel that, with the exception of the platform it's developed for, has nothing to do with Roku.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tobarefeet » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 pm

What video format codecs are able to be used?
tobarefeet

Postby canaws » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:01 pm

comicfanman71 wrote:Ok I've got the "MyMedia" channel on my Roku but do not know how to put media into the folders. To be honest I don't even know if I have the server set up right. I have the roku hd player, pc is running win7, and I'm using a netgear router. Any help would be great. Thank you

Are you running mymedia.bat to start the server?
Can you see files/folders listed on your feed?

I just set the server to look for media in the the default Windows media folders where I keep my files already (Music, Pictures, &Videos). Make sure your ip address and folder path is correct on the configure server page. The default path on the page is not right for Vista, it might also be wrong for Windows7.
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws

Postby canaws » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm

tobarefeet wrote:What video format codecs are able to be used?

I don't remember exactly, but I know that h.246, mpeg-4, and wm9 video work with the roku. There's some aspect ratio problems with the mpeg-4 files right now though (search for squished video).
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws

Postby LeeHB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:48 am

Ever think of just trying a VGA cable directly from the PC to the TV?

hint: It works beautifully, quickly and easily and will play ANYTHING on your PC, with no re-formating or any other BS at all.

I picked up a 50' VGA+Audio cable for $15 bucks online...problem solved. Great picture, great sound. Only work involved was making a small hole thru a wall for the cable.

LeeHB
LeeHB

Postby tobarefeet » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:55 am

LeeHB wrote:Ever think of just trying a VGA cable directly from the PC to the TV?

hint: It works beautifully, quickly and easily and will play ANYTHING on your PC, with no re-formating or any other BS at all.

I picked up a 50' VGA+Audio cable for $15 bucks online...problem solved. Great picture, great sound. Only work involved was making a small hole thru a wall for the cable.

LeeHB

So in doing that does it mirror what is playing on your PC? Do you need a special card in PC or not? I've thought about doing that but didn't know how things like Hulu would look. I understand plugging into the TV end, where does the cable get plugged into on the other end, computer or router?
tobarefeet

Postby kc8pql » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:53 pm

tobarefeet wrote: I understand plugging into the TV end, where does the cable get plugged into on the other end, computer or router?

The VGA and audio outputs on your computer, just like a monitor.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby tobarefeet » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm

kc8pql wrote:
tobarefeet wrote: I understand plugging into the TV end, where does the cable get plugged into on the other end, computer or router?

gotcha. thanks
tobarefeet

Postby moviegeek65 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:49 pm

kc8pql wrote:

This is assuming his TV has a VGA connector which few HDTV's have.

If you are serious about streaming content to your TV then get a WD TV Live Plus or another streaming media player that supports UPnP/DLNA.
moviegeek65

Postby LeeHB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 am

Actually, I've never seen an HDTV that didn't have a VGA connector; but in that case, I HAVE seen fairly low-cost VGA to HDMI converters on-line; I don't know if they are any good, but probably at least worth a try.

LeeHB
LeeHB

Justin TV

Postby joe78251 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:51 am

Any Help
I want to watch Justin TV on my Roku
Anyone out there knows how Can I
add it to my player.
Are there any player that can paly
Justin.TV I watch internation channels
and they are available in Justin tv only.
Thanks
joe78251

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion