Superbowl?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Superbowl?

Postby MaxRabbit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:30 am

I searched, but I didn't find anything except mentions of "I saw a superbowl commercial".

The only thing we EVER use our TV for is the Superbowl. If a roku would let us watch our Netflix movies online AND the superbowl we would be sold.

The Amazon page for it says, "Premium sports. The top leagues like Major League Baseball, and the main events.". I'm assuming since the Superbowl is THE main event, that you do! Please tell me I am right!

Thanks,
Taylor
MaxRabbit

Re: Superbowl?

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:46 am

MaxRabbit wrote:I searched, but I didn't find anything except mentions of "I saw a superbowl commercial".

The only thing we EVER use our TV for is the Superbowl. If a roku would let us watch our Netflix movies online AND the superbowl we would be sold.

The Amazon page for it says, "Premium sports. The top leagues like Major League Baseball, and the main events.". I'm assuming since the Superbowl is THE main event, that you do! Please tell me I am right!

Thanks,
Taylor

The Super Bowl is available over the air on your local Fox (I believe) station. It's not going to be on any Roku channel.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:24 am

mikebdoss wrote:
The Super Bowl is available over the air on your local Fox (I believe) station. It's not going to be on any Roku channel.

+1. When a broadcaster can charge advertisers a million dollars for a 10 second (or whatever ) commercial, their not going to allow
anything that reduces the audience.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby MaxRabbit » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks guys! But I do not know anything about over the air... I'm sure I can figure out how to set it up, but is it guaranteed that I will receive channels? I don't live near any big cities or anything.

If you have a forum for me specifically for over the air that I should ask at instead, feel free to tell me to just go ask my question somewhere else!
MaxRabbit

Postby troydogtvtvtv » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:58 am

Go here and you can look up were you live. Also the other forums on this board can help you set up what you need.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45
troydogtvtvtv

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:38 am

This site should be helpful: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby kc8pql » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:10 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:This site should be helpful: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

+1 AntennaWeb does a very good job of predicting what channels you'll receive at your exact location and what type of antenna you'll need.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby vnzjunk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Maybe this would be helpful too.........

www.learnwebskills.com/search/engines.html
vnzjunk

Postby MaxRabbit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, it is as I expected: we wouldn't get any over the air broadcasts. Oh well, I guess. We'll still think about the Roku player.
MaxRabbit

Postby phoenix42 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Taylor, check with you local cable company how much basic cable would be, typically this is $10 to $15, and typically if you are getting internet from them it is included. The Roku, with Netflix and HuluPlus, provide a decent amount of content from a reasonable price.

At some point in the I think that more and more sporting events will become available via pay per view via the internet and settop boxes as a reaction to more and more people moving away from cable etc. But that is 5 years out I think.
phoenix42

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:13 pm

MaxRabbit wrote:Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, it is as I expected: we wouldn't get any over the air broadcasts. Oh well, I guess. We'll still think about the Roku player.

I would try a different site besides antennaweb.org. Just out of curiousity I put my address in and it said I would only get 3 stations, the local fox, cbs, and nbc affiliate.. all around 17 miles away. In reality I get 28 channels OTA with very good signal strength using a $30 flat antenna
stratcat96

Postby phoenix42 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:46 am

A good site for going OTA is TVfool.
Go here to get a signal analysis, and then post in their forums to get opinions on a suitable antenna.
phoenix42

Postby MaxRabbit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 pm

phoenix42 wrote:A good site for going OTA is TVfool.
Go here to get a signal analysis, and then post in their forums to get opinions on a suitable antenna.

This is really cool! However, I am going to try Phoenix's suggestion. If I would not have to contract with the cable companies, a simple $10 for the month of the super bowl would be awesome.

Awesome support here. With the player now being only $68 on Amazon for the XD, I am going for it. :D
MaxRabbit

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion