Will Roku Work On My TV?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Will Roku Work On My TV?

Postby jezebel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:06 am

Hi, this is my first post here, looking for answers.

I'm considering Roku to replace my Netflix DVD service. My TV is actually a big monitor, there is no tuner inside. Is a tuner required of some required?

Also, my router is a pretty old Belkin, what are the chances I'd need to upgrade that?

Thanks for your help!
jezebel

Re: Will Roku Work On My TV?

Postby KennyJ » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:18 am

It should work. I've hooked up my Roku to my Computer monitor before. Before buying, can you try hookinh something else (like a DVD player) to your monitor and see if you get a picture?

An old router should still work. My mother-in-law has a really old router and it works with their Roku.
KennyJ

Postby mchasal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:53 am

Depends on what inputs the monitor has, can you elaborate?
mchasal

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:55 am

We need details. What make/model is the monitor?
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby jezebel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:44 am

Its a JVC LT-42WX70. We've got DVD/Blu-Ray and cable hooked up to it. I was just not sure what all the Roku needs to work.
jezebel

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:59 am

jezebel wrote:Its a JVC LT-42WX70. We've got DVD/Blu-Ray and cable hooked up to it. I was just not sure what all the Roku needs to work.

I assume the Blu-Ray player is connected to one of the two HDMI inputs on your TV. How is the cable connected? The manual for your monitor does not show a F-type cable connection. Perhaps you have a cable box connected to the other HDMI port? If you are using both HDMI ports you have two choices. It appears JVC offers an adaptor for VGA to component input. You would need that, a Roku XDS and the XDS component adaptor cable. The better way of doing it would be to get a HDMI switch so you can use more HDMI devices with your monitor. Something like this would work: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Perfor ... 882&sr=1-1
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby Arwen » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:15 pm

The Roku needs HDCP, (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection),
as far as I can tell, (and others concur).

Since you have a Blu-Ray player, your monitor more than likely
supports the HDCP feature. I checked the JVC web site but it does
not mention HDCP anywhere for the LT-42WX70 model.

Because you have a 1080p monitor, the Roku XD or XD|S may
be a better choice than the Roku HD model which maxes out at
720p.

My setup includes a 1080p monitor from ViewSonic, which does
have a HDMI input and supports HDCP.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby jezebel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:10 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:I assume the Blu-Ray player is connected to one of the two HDMI inputs on your TV. How is the cable connected?

Yes, the blu-ray is connected to an HDMI input, the cable is not (I don't want to pay for HD cable), I have an adapter for that.

Arwen wrote:Because you have a 1080p monitor, the Roku XD or XD|S may be a better choice than the Roku HD model which maxes out at 720p.

Thanks for your help.
jezebel

Postby jezebel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:32 am

I just watched a few YouTube vids on setting up a Roku box and on one the demonstrator said I need a "...TV or computer monitor with tuner..." I'm sorry to ask this again, I'm a little confused... is having something with s tuner necessary? If the box is getting the signal from the internet, why do I need a tuner? Sorry if I'm being dense.
jezebel

Postby Robert99 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 am

jezebel wrote:I just watched a few YouTube vids on setting up a Roku box and on one the demonstrator said I need a "...TV or computer monitor with tuner..."

Just because some unofficial video said it, doesn't necessarily make it so...

jezebel wrote:I'm sorry to ask this again, I'm a little confused... is having something with s tuner necessary?

Only if you want over the air TV on the same display as the ROKU. The ROKU itself simply needs a compatible input you can hook it up to.

jezebel wrote:If the box is getting the signal from the internet, why do I need a tuner?

The only reason you would "need" a tuner, is if you also wanted the feature (over the air TV) that the tuner provides. I know for sure that a ROKU player can hook up to just a monitor (if you have the correct inputs on your monitor, and your monitor can handle the proper display resolution, and you get/purchase the optional cables needed to do the proper hookup), as I've done it in the past.

Before I got my 32" TV, I had hooked up my original model ROKU streaming player (the original model is no longer being made, but the newer models have similar hookup) to a 19" LCD ("Hannspree" brand) monitor by an HDMI cable (that particular monitor had a single HDMI input, along with the standard VGA/PC input). This was an actual monitor, not a TV (no tuner built in), but it did have the compatible HDMI input (which I used for the hookup). And this setup worked fine with the ROKU (albeit with the limitation of the smaller 19" screen size). The ROKU was very happy to see my monitor as a (720p) HD wide screen "TV", when hooked up this way.

FWIW: I still have that 19" monitor, I just no longer use it as a ROKU display, as I prefer the much bigger viewing size on our 32" (720p) LCD TV. Instead, my monitor has been moved into the "home office", and is in fact now hooked up to a laptop. Since I also have added a USB keyboard and USB trackball (mouse replacement), I am now using that laptop as if it was a low power "desktop" (in fact, I'm looking at that 19" monitor right now, as I type this stuff in).

So the bottom line is that if your monitor has the proper hookups, and can display the TV signals correctly, it can be used with a ROKU. Since you already have a DVD player and cable box hooked up, your monitor clearly has the proper hookups and display abilities (otherwise your monitor wouldn't work with the cable and DVD boxes). However, you will have to make sure you have a spare hookup spot on the monitor for the ROKU, or you will need to get a video switch (as another poster suggested). Also, the ROKU only ships with the most basic of "composite video" cables (and your monitor may very well not support composite video). So it will be your responsibility to find/buy the proper video (and audio) cables to hook your ROKU up to your monitor. Such cables are pretty easy/cheap to find, but it will still be an extra step (and expense) you will likely have to go through.
Robert99

Postby jezebel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:18 am

Robert99 wrote:So the bottom line is that if your monitor has the proper hookups, and can display the TV signals correctly, it can be used with a ROKU.

Than you, that is all I needed to know.
jezebel

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion