Wireless headphones for quiet listening?

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Wireless headphones for quiet listening?

Postby signalranger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:14 pm

We're looking for wireless headphones that guests can use to listen to TV in a guest room without disturbing anyone - ideally a set that accommodate 2-3 headphones listening in on the same channel, so that multiple people can watch.

Sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

Happy holidays!

Thanks,

EJ
signalranger

Re: Wireless headphones for quiet listening?

Postby ikev85 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:05 am

RCA to buetooth bridge, like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DC800-Bl ... B000BQK7EM

Then tether some Bluetooth headphones of your choice... Or even bluetooth speakers.
ikev85

multiple wireless headphone + base transmitter set

Postby signalranger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks but that doesn't sound like it would be any more economical or offer any more sound quality or easier/quicker setup than picking up 2-3 Sennheiser Wireless headphones at about $30-40 each, which would work right out of the box. I wish there was a way to buy 1 wireless transmitter base with 3 headphones, as opposed to 3 sets of base + headphone.

Anyone see anything like this - transmitter base + 2-4 headphone set?
signalranger

Postby Village Idiot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:53 pm

http://www.noisefreeheadphones.com/Powe ... -22IRT.htm
I doubt you'll find anything really cheap.
But hopefully this will get you in the right direction ?
Village Idiot

thanks Re: Wireless headphones for quiet listening?

Postby signalranger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks Village Idiot, very helpful, I'm looking into those. Pretty resourceful for a Village Idiot. Don't know what they mean by reception 180 degrees from base when most wireless base stations transmit in a 360 degree arc. Price is very close to two pairs of the Sennheiser, but I guess that's about as cheap as you can find. Will check eBay also.
signalranger

Re: thanks Re: Wireless headphones for quiet listening?

Postby gonzotek » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:18 pm

signalranger wrote:Thanks Village Idiot, very helpful, I'm looking into those. Pretty resourceful for a Village Idiot. Don't know what they mean by reception 180 degrees from base when most wireless base stations transmit in a 360 degree arc. Price is very close to two pairs of the Sennheiser, but I guess that's about as cheap as you can find. Will check eBay also.
They're IR, which means line-of-sight from the transmitter. I used a pair of IR headphones about 4 or 5 years ago that sounded pretty decent when you were near the transmitter, but dropped in quality the further you'd get from it. I don't know how much the tech has improved since then. For what it's worth, when I tried several bluetooth wireless headphones with several different transmission sources, the sound quality was never worth it to me to invest in. BT just didn't have the bandwidth to transmit a high-enough quality signal for my ears.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby signalranger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:33 pm

So do you think a standard Sennheiser 110 or 120 wireless headset will be better than IR? Sounds like it. The 110 can often be found for $35-40 per headset + base.
signalranger

Postby gonzotek » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 pm

signalranger wrote:So do you think a standard Sennheiser 110 or 120 wireless headset will be better than IR? Sounds like it. The 110 can often be found for $35-40 per headset + base.

I wish I had some experience with RF headphones to offer, although I personally like the Sennheiser brand and have several of their wired fold-able headphones and also an iphone headset, all of which have excellent sound and build quality. But I haven't tried theirs, or any other brands using similar tech, sorry. The reviews on Amazon might be helpful.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mchasal » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:50 am

I have had a set of Sennheiser 120s for a couple of years now. I'm quite happy with them. There's very little noise and the sound quality is good. The way the stand charges when you hang the phones is very convenient, no little plug to mess with. Before these I had a set of cheaper RCA RF headphones, and they worked OK, but there was much more hiss and they were not built as well.
I'd shy away from the IR models unless you are sure you'd never have line of sight issues. The nice things about RF is that you can step into the other room for a minute and not lose audio. Sometimes nice for just grabbing a snack during a slow part of a movie.
mchasal

Postby lvporta » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:19 pm

I think I would be interested in the Sennheiser 110 or 120 model. How is the base conntected to your television, if applicable? What do you have to do to return to the TV sound speakers, i.e. turn off wireless headphone and return to normal audio on TV. I have an older Mitsubishi Rear Projection TV WD 52528. I know I would need an adapter cable to connect the transmitter to the RCA Red White Output Audio .....but would I have to constantly go back behind my TV to disconnect (too much trouble) in order to return to normal listening without wireless head phones? If anybody can help me with this I would appreciate it. TIA
lvporta

Postby signalranger » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks all, we're going to give the Sennheisers a shot. Happy holidays!
signalranger

Postby mchasal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:36 am

lvporta wrote:I think I would be interested in the Sennheiser 110 or 120 model. How is the base conntected to your television, if applicable? What do you have to do to return to the TV sound speakers, i.e. turn off wireless headphone and return to normal audio on TV. I have an older Mitsubishi Rear Projection TV WD 52528. I know I would need an adapter cable to connect the transmitter to the RCA Red White Output Audio .....but would I have to constantly go back behind my TV to disconnect (too much trouble) in order to return to normal listening without wireless head phones? If anybody can help me with this I would appreciate it. TIA

Well, the ones I have directly connect to RCA inputs, and it came with an adapter to connect to headphones, or maybe the other way around, but it came with everything I needed.

How it will hook up depends on your setup, mine is a little "strange", but if your TV has an audio monitor output, you can use that, or you can use an RCA splitter to send the audio output from the Roku to both the headphones and TV at the same time.
mchasal

Postby mchasal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 am

Just FYI, Newegg's got a pretty good deal on the RS120s right now, $49.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-Homepage
mchasal

Postby sweller » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Some years ago, when my Mrs. asked for wireless headphones, I did a lot of research. None were perfect. Sennheiser was the best available.

There's an open niche for a wireless headphone adapter that will let you use your own 'phones.
http://www.bbb.org/sanjose/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-wholesale-and-manufacturers/roku-in-saratoga-ca-223541
sweller

Postby mchasal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:28 pm

sweller wrote:There's an open niche for a wireless headphone adapter that will let you use your own 'phones.

Already filled: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wireles ... B00006JPIX
I actually converted my cheap RCA wireless headphones to this when they broke. It was the headband that broke so they weren't useful as headphones, but I chopped them up and soldered a headphone jack to the outputs. It worked ok, but was kinda cumbersome having a separate box for the receiver.
mchasal

Next

Return to Off Topic