Connection to IMDB.com or similar?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Connection to IMDB.com or similar?

Postby jlsoaz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:55 pm

The movie and TV descriptions on netflix and amazon sometimes seem less than sufficient. Would there be a good way to browse video descriptions on imdb.com or a similar site, from the roku player, without leaving my TV and going to my computer screen? Is this considered against Roku's present thinking? I asked before if eventually there will simply be internet browsing and use via our TVs (whether through Roku or some other device) and maybe accessing imdb.com or a similar video-description pathway would be considered going down this road.

I think much of this in the near-term could be perhaps improved by simply expanding the text that comes in from netflix and amazon to describe TVs and films so that it is not quite so limited.

jl
jlsoaz

Re: Connection to IMDB.com or similar?

Postby LilHelp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:46 pm

When I first joined Netflix and read there synopsis movie descriptions they seemed too short and inaccurate as compared to the IMDB.com movie and show descriptions, I too would like to see an IMDB.com channel or dynamically load the corresponding synopsis loaded from IMDB.com on the Netflix channel... I had also had a great idea of having the Netflix channel be able to play a preview or movie trailer directly from the Play Menu??!?!?! One other thing that is needed is a better Search result feature from the Netflix channel, allowing the user to use a search filter by actors, director, year, genre and more than 10 search results at a time!?!?!?!?!!
LilHelp

Postby jlsoaz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:32 pm

LilHelp wrote:When I first joined Netflix and read there synopsis movie descriptions they seemed too short and inaccurate as compared to the IMDB.com movie and show descriptions, I too would like to see an IMDB.com channel or dynamically load the corresponding synopsis loaded from IMDB.com on the Netflix channel... I had also had a great idea of having the Netflix channel be able to play a preview or movie trailer directly from the Play Menu??!?!?! One other thing that is needed is a better Search result feature from the Netflix channel, allowing the user to use a search filter by actors, director, year, genre and more than 10 search results at a time!?!?!?!?!!

It's possible they could expand (or offer an option to expand) some of the text descriptions from netflix, since I think some of them on Roku don't read back the full text of what's available on Netflix.

From there, it's possible they should look at going to something like imdb.com.

Regarding improving the Netflix search function on Roku, I agree. The search is better with the Amazon channel on Roku, so I guess they could take that as a model.
jlsoaz

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:43 pm

I would love if there was an imdb channel on the roku, the flixster one doesn't really cut it... I'd like to be a ble to read a full synopsis, see the release year/actors/etc, not just a rotten tomato score
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion