No Blockbuster?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

No Blockbuster?

Postby dpkilleen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 am

I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen
dpkilleen

Re: No Blockbuster?

Postby jeffrok » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:01 am

When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jambandit7 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 am

jeffrok wrote:When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.

I agree...
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
jambandit7

Postby KennyJ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 am

jeffrok wrote:When the Roku box was first released, it was called "The Netflix Player".. Roku and Netflix still have a very close relationship, and I doubt they are going to let Blockbuster in on the game.

It's certainly possible, though. Although Blockbuster's offerings aren't much different (if at all) from Amazon.com.

I have Blockbuster on my BD Player, but only used it to spend the $5 they gave me for signing up. I almost always use Amazon via Roku.
KennyJ

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 am

Why not? Roku added Amazon VOD to their lineup of content providers, as well as several others like Hulu+, BigStar, Drive-In Classics, DreamTV, etc., and I wouldn't mind seeing Blockbuster VOD added too. Increased choices is a good thing, eh?
CalvinMcGowan

Postby RokuPatrick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:09 am

dpkilleen wrote:I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen

While we don't offer Blockbuster, we do offer Amazon Video On Demand. After a brief survey of Blockbuster's VOD offerings, Amazon:
- Has a much larger selection
- Has High-definition video
- Has 5.1 audio

Is there a feature or specific content that Blockbuster has that you're interested in? If you haven't already, take a look at the Amazon offering.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby Munst » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am

Blockbuster is already dead...they just don't know it yet.
Munst

Postby Elvis Impersonator » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 am

Munst wrote:Blockbuster is already dead...they just don't know it yet.

actually . . . I think they know . . .
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/09/blockbuster-officially-going-bankrupt-for-really-real-this-time.ars
Elvis Impersonator

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

Elvis Impersonator wrote:
Munst wrote:Blockbuster is already dead...they just don't know it yet.

actually . . . I think they know . . .
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/09/blockbuster-officially-going-bankrupt-for-really-real-this-time.ars

The still don't "know". They think they can come out of bankruptcy as the new Netflix and put everyone else back a peg. They even sold their name to a cash register company to put RedBox out of business.

If Blockbuster were a single human they would have been diagnosed as schizophrenic years ago and locked away where they can't hurt anyone anymore.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby dpkilleen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 am

RokuPatrick wrote:
dpkilleen wrote:I'm a very new user and obviously didn't do enough homework before buying :( I'm very disappointed to find that Roku apparently doesn't have a Blockbuster channel. Is that coming?

Thanks

dpkilleen

While we don't offer Blockbuster, we do offer Amazon Video On Demand. After a brief survey of Blockbuster's VOD offerings, Amazon:
- Has a much larger selection
- Has High-definition video
- Has 5.1 audio

Is there a feature or specific content that Blockbuster has that you're interested in? If you haven't already, take a look at the Amazon offering.

No, nothing specific. My concern was mostly with the Blockbuster commercials that claim to release streaming DVD's the same day that the physical DVD's come out. Are you saying that Amazon VOD does the same thing? If so, then I'd much happier.

Thanks
dpkilleen

Postby hn333 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks

dpkilleen

Blockbuster is dead :D
hn333

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm

dpkilleen wrote:No, nothing specific. My concern was mostly with the Blockbuster commercials that claim to release streaming DVD's the same day that the physical DVD's come out. Are you saying that Amazon VOD does the same thing? If so, then I'd much happier.

Thanks

Yes, Amazon gets the movies first. blockbuster is a pay per title system the same as Amazon, only more expensive and not quite as good.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby RokuPatrick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
dpkilleen wrote:No, nothing specific. My concern was mostly with the Blockbuster commercials that claim to release streaming DVD's the same day that the physical DVD's come out. Are you saying that Amazon VOD does the same thing? If so, then I'd much happier.

Thanks

Yes, Amazon gets the movies first. blockbuster is a pay per title system the same as Amazon, only more expensive and not quite as good.

Do note that standard for the industry, many movies are not available to rent and stream on the same day as DVD sales. In many cases, you can buy a digital copy when the DVD comes out and rent 30-60 days later. That's just how it is. Some studios do day and date rentals, however.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby jeffrok » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:

Why not? Roku added Amazon VOD to their lineup of content providers, as well as several others like Hulu+, BigStar, Drive-In Classics, DreamTV, etc., and I wouldn't mind seeing Blockbuster VOD added too. Increased choices is a good thing, eh?

My GUESS is that when Netflix and Roku partnered up, they agreed to not let their fierce (at the time) competitor, Blockbuster to be a Roku developer. As unfair as that might sound to Blockbuster, these partnerships happen all the time.. I can't get the NFL Sunday Ticket on my cable box, for the same reasons.. Agreements..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 pm

jeffrok wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:

My GUESS is that when Netflix and Roku partnered up, they agreed to not let their fierce (at the time) competitor, Blockbuster to be a Roku developer. As unfair as that might sound to Blockbuster, these partnerships happen all the time.. I can't get the NFL Sunday Ticket on my cable box, for the same reasons.. Agreements..

I doubt that's the reason. Blockbuster just hasn't made a channel. Roku has a public SDK so all they have to do is make one and distribute it. If someone really wants it they should contact BB and see if a compatible stream is sent. From there it's either up to that user to finance a channel build or try and convince BB to build one.

When Netflix and Roku split ways BB still didn't have streaming so no one knew what was coming.

One question, is Blockbuster actually behind the streaming or is it another deal like the Kiosks?
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion