BBC News Channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

BBC News Channel?

Postby tobarefeet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 am

Any change we can get the BBC News Channel as a standalone channel? There's a beautiful live stream online for it that I can get via OPEN VPN. Would be nice to have on Roku.
tobarefeet

Re: BBC News Channel?

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 am

I get the BBC, Aljazeera (sp) RT News, Euronews, and France 24 all streaming live through CDNtwo... I put in the rss feed for them and can now stream any whenever I want. The pq is awesome, but looks very good. I know its not a standalone channel but is better than nothing!
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tjweadockjr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm

I'd love to get the BBC News Channel...best news around
tjweadockjr

Postby tobarefeet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:16 pm

stratcat96 wrote:I get the BBC, Aljazeera (sp) RT News, Euronews, and France 24 all streaming live through CDNtwo... I put in the rss feed for them and can now stream any whenever I want. The pq is awesome, but looks very good. I know its not a standalone channel but is better than nothing!

Yes, I use that as well. I'm extremely grateful, but on my TV the quality is so-so. If the BBC would build a channel I would assume it would be top notch. Or maybe not, I dunno.
Through VPN I have BBC News Channel and BBC One on my computer in great quality.
tobarefeet

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

tobarefeet wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:I get the BBC, Aljazeera (sp) RT News, Euronews, and France 24 all streaming live through CDNtwo... I put in the rss feed for them and can now stream any whenever I want. The pq is awesome, but looks very good. I know its not a standalone channel but is better than nothing!

Yes, I use that as well. I'm extremely grateful, but on my TV the quality is so-so. If the BBC would build a channel I would assume it would be top notch. Or maybe not, I dunno.
Through VPN I have BBC News Channel and BBC One on my computer in great quality.

about a month ago livestation.com said they were going to look into creating a channel. Has anyone heard anything more about that?
stratcat96

Postby tobarefeet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:07 am

stratcat96 wrote:
tobarefeet wrote:

about a month ago livestation.com said they were going to look into creating a channel. Has anyone heard anything more about that?

They are working on it. The thing is I have Livestation on my Boxee Box and the BBC is audio only on it so i would assume the same here.
tobarefeet

Postby Shenan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:09 pm

tobarefeet wrote:They are working on it. The thing is I have Livestation on my Boxee Box and the BBC is audio only on it so i would assume the same here.

Great to hear! This is one of the channels that I've been really wanting to get on the Roku. The reason that BBC is audio only on Livestation in the US is that BBC has contracts with other entities in the US for rights to the BBC World News video (Discovery/BBC America? PBS stations?).

Stratcat, any chance that you could post a list of those channels' RSS feeds, or how you found them in the first place? I would love to get those on the Roku as well. Are you in the US too?

Thanks!
Shenan

Postby tobarefeet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Shenan wrote:
tobarefeet wrote:They are working on it. The thing is I have Livestation on my Boxee Box and the BBC is audio only on it so i would assume the same here.

Great to hear! This is one of the channels that I've been really wanting to get on the Roku. The reason that BBC is audio only on Livestation in the US is that BBC has contracts with other entities in the US for rights to the BBC World News video (Discovery/BBC America? PBS stations?).

Stratcat, any chance that you could post a list of those channels' RSS feeds, or how you found them in the first place? I would love to get those on the Roku as well. Are you in the US too?

Thanks!

Actually, what is interesting is that on Boxee Box Livestation half of the time has the video feed of BBC News Channel. If I go in and watch it and leave, sometimes it's there, sometimes not again until later in the day or the next day. hit or miss.
tobarefeet

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Shenan wrote:

Thanks!

I am in the U.S. as well. As far as the rss feed, I found it here in the boards. As I now see, if you log in to the cdntwo site, they appear under "add content" as a link. Once you click that link the next page will ask you to assign a category to the feed. I previously created a category called "news" so if I were to do it that would appear as the only available category. If you have not already, you will have to create a category 1st before you add a feed
stratcat96

Postby Shenan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Tobarefeet: Live BBC World News? It must be an unofficial workaround then, because technically the live feed is not supposed to work in the US.

Stratcat: Cool, thanks, I'll try it out.
Shenan

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion