Wireless or Powerline

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Wireless or Powerline

Postby deppeler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Do you think this would improve the streaming of HD (5mb download), therefore worth the extra money.
Instead of streaming to the Roku straight from an N router
if I was to
Use a Powerline Adapter and connect it directly to the Roku.
deppeler

Re: Wireless or Powerline

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Everyone's setup is different, but I haven't noticed that the wireless portion of my connection (between the router and the Roku) as being the slowest link in the chain. The only time I've seen hiccups is when I'm downloading/streaming several things at once between all my devices (making the internet connection, not the wireless one, the slow part).

That said, if there's interference or a generally poor wireless connection between your router and Roku, any sort of hard-wired connection might help that situation. But I wouldn't spend the money on a powerline adapter (which can have their own slowdowns/interference unless you see a clear issue with the wireless.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby deppeler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:07 pm

mikebdoss wrote:Everyone's setup is different, but I haven't noticed that the wireless portion of my connection (between the router and the Roku) as being the slowest link in the chain. The only time I've seen hiccups is when I'm downloading/streaming several things at once between all my devices (making the internet connection, not the wireless one, the slow part).

That said, if there's interference or a generally poor wireless connection between your router and Roku, any sort of hard-wired connection might help that situation. But I wouldn't spend the money on a powerline adapter (which can have their own slowdowns/interference unless you see a clear issue with the wireless.

Ok, I was just thinking that it would be more like a wired connection and therefore faster than wifi and easier than getting a wired connection to the Roku.
deppeler

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm

deppeler wrote:Ok, I was just thinking that it would be more like a wired connection and therefore faster than wifi and easier than getting a wired connection to the Roku.

A wired connection will absolutely be faster than a wifi connection (and typically not be subject to a lot of the kinds of interference that hampers wifi), but I've found that the wireless connection is plenty fast for the streams coming in. YMMV, of course, but try wireless before buying anything.
mikebdoss

Postby deppeler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:17 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
deppeler wrote:Ok, I was just thinking that it would be more like a wired connection and therefore faster than wifi and easier than getting a wired connection to the Roku.

A wired connection will absolutely be faster than a wifi connection (and typically not be subject to a lot of the kinds of interference that hampers wifi), but I've found that the wireless connection is plenty fast for the streams coming in. YMMV, of course, but try wireless before buying anything.

Is G wireless fast enough for netflix?
deppeler

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:19 pm

deppeler wrote:Is G wireless fast enough for netflix?

It's what I use - I get 4 dots, no problems (there's no HD on that TV set, so I can't tell for sure if it's fast enough for HD when available, but I'd bet it is).
mikebdoss

Postby deppeler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:22 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

It's what I use - I get 4 dots, no problems (there's no HD on that TV set, so I can't tell for sure if it's fast enough for HD when available, but I'd bet it is).

Thanks, I do have a HDTV so that is important.
deppeler

Postby hn333 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:50 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

Wireless G is more than enough for the Roku, I get 4 dots and HD from it. The wireless router is a 5 year old linksys wrt54g btw. Awesome router, don't be cheap when buying a wireless router.
hn333

Postby deppeler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:02 pm

hn333 wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Wireless G is more than enough for the Roku, I get 4 dots and HD from it. The wireless router is a 5 year old linksys wrt54g btw. Awesome router, don't be cheap when buying a wireless router.

I was thinking either:
Cisco-Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router
or
D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

Do you think the E2000 would be better...
deppeler

Postby hn333 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:33 pm

Well going by the newegg.com reviews for these routers I would pick the E2000 only because I like linsys more. Go read the reviews and see for yourself. I give more weight to the reviews on newegg because of its tech oriented reviewers. You can also use 3rd party firmware on the E2000 if thats something you want, but I think both would work just fine for the Roku.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %20DIR-655

If you don't really need a Wireless N router, you might take a look at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124190

It's pretty much the best home wireless router ever made in my opinion. If I needed a new router this is the one I would get, but it's only has G and B wireless.
hn333

Postby TexGuy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 pm

We have taken a break from using a wireless router, we have found powerline network adaptors work just fine in our house. We also found they give us more internet speed over wireless.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 We will be buying a 2nd set when the adaptors are back in stock.
Roku3 Roku2 XS Roku HD and Roku XD
Comcast Cable
Panasonic TC-L32C3
Sharp E32D41NKEGBSNNX
HDMI Cable ($6.99 cables unlimited)
CNet CBR-970 (router)
TexGuy

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 pm

deppeler wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:Everyone's setup is different, but I haven't noticed that the wireless portion of my connection (between the router and the Roku) as being the slowest link in the chain. The only time I've seen hiccups is when I'm downloading/streaming several things at once between all my devices (making the internet connection, not the wireless one, the slow part).

Ok, I was just thinking that it would be more like a wired connection and therefore faster than wifi and easier than getting a wired connection to the Roku.

You can always go to speedtest.net on a computer hardwired to the router, and then do it on a computer on the wireless network, preferably in the area your Roku would be. That'll help you gauge any speed difference btw wired and wireless.
stratcat96

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion