non-HD TV, Optical input, and component input

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

non-HD TV, Optical input, and component input

Postby louisec99 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:16 am

I see no reason to replace my non-HD TV, as it is in good working order with good picture.
I recently purchased the ROKU XDS to take advantage of the optical connection to my Onkyo 605 sound system so I can get 5.1.
I was planning on connecting the Roku to the Onkyo via component. The Onkyo is connected to my non-HD TV with a component cable. My DVD is hooked up this way and works fine. My DVR is hooked up directly to my TV with component and works fine.

Installing the Roku XDS to the Onkyo with composite cables could not be simpler. When I received my component cable from Roku, I assumed hooking it up would be just as easy. Unfortunately, the picture went blank after the Roku start up screen. I got the same results when I hooked up the Roku directly to my TV via Component. After looking around on this forum and elsewhere on the web, I have the feeling the component cable does not work with a non-hd TV. Is this true? If it is, is it written on the Roku website? If it is true, I wished I knew this when I purchased the XDS and the custom component cable. I probably would have made a different decision.

Currently, I have the video hooked up with a composite cable and audio with the optical cable. Unfortunately, I am not getting 5.1 or Dolby. Does anyone know a 5.1 source that is free so I can test this further? Should I just forget about the optical cable and use composite for both video and audio?

Thank you
louisec99

Re: non-HD TV, Optical input, and component input

Postby scyber » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 am

Does your TV accept 480p? I believe that is what Roku outputs over component when its not configured in HD mode.
scyber

Postby louisec99 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:32 am

scyber wrote:Does your TV accept 480p? I believe that is what Roku outputs over component when its not configured in HD mode.

No
louisec99

Postby scyber » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:46 am

louisec99 wrote:
scyber wrote:Does your TV accept 480p? I believe that is what Roku outputs over component when its not configured in HD mode.

No

Well that is your problem with the video. The specs on the website are pretty clear that component is 720p or 480p only (click on the "See Specs" link in the player comparison page). Composite is the only 480i output. Honestly though, it is arguable if you will see that much of a difference in a 480i signal between composite and component.

I can't help on the 5.1 audio as I don't have a 5.1 setup. The only source I know of is Amazon VOD though, which of course isn't free like you wanted.
scyber

Postby louisec99 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for answering. I see the specs link now. Too bad I missed it when I was looking at the different Roku models.
However, it was not something that would have occurred to me to check since my DVD player and DVR worked with my TV via a component cable.

I guess the chance on support for this will be added is nil, so I will return the cables.
louisec99

Postby gonzotek » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:56 am

scyber wrote:The only source I know of is Amazon VOD though, which of course isn't free like you wanted.
Amazon does have some free videos, although I don't know if any have 5.1 audio. If you go to http://amazon.com/vod , there will be a "Free Videos" link in the left-hand sidebar. Some HD shows are listed there.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Hotchili » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:40 am

If your DVD and DVR work with the TV you could try and hook-up Roku component cable to either of those if it allows inputs of component. It may be working with those because its output is not 480P or is incoming source is not. Not a technical wiz, but may be worth a try.
Hotchili

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion