Roku Won't Join WiFi Without the Remote

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku Won't Join WiFi Without the Remote

Postby ViciousTwist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 am

My Roku won't join a new wireless connection without having the Roku remote. I bought the DVP Remote iPhone App since I don't have the Roku remote anymore. I thought this would allow me to use my Roku again, but the DVP Remote and the Roku have to be using the same wireless connection in order for the DVP Remote to function as the Roku's remote. Is there any other way to access the Roku box directly (with a usb or ethernet cable, like connecting directly to a router) in order to set it up to join my wireless connection, or at least allow me to access the Roku's firmware settings like a router does. So that I can manually use my laptop to connect to the Roku to adjust the settings without having the remote?

Thanks Everybody,
ViciousTwist
ViciousTwist

Re: Roku Won't Join WiFi Without the Remote

Postby jeffrok » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:06 am

You could temporarily plug your Roku into your router with an ethernet cable, get the IP from it from the Roku information menu, and then switch to wireless.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ViciousTwist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 am

jeffrok wrote:You could temporarily plug your Roku into your router with an ethernet cable, get the IP from it from the Roku information menu, and then switch to wireless.

Would I still need the Roku IR remote in order to switch the Roku to wireless and type the SSID and password in?
ViciousTwist

Postby jeffrok » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:25 am

Uhhh, I don't think so.. As long as the player gets an IP being hooked up via ethernet.. I've never hooked up my player via ethernet, so I'm not sure if it prompts you at that point. My guess is no, and that you would be able to find your Roku's IP address in the router's administration screens, so that you can configure your remote app to work with it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby ViciousTwist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm

I hooked the Roku directly to the router with an ethernet cable and it showed up under the routers Wired Devices. DVP Remote auto-discovery found it and added it to the Players list with the IP Address of 10.0.0.6 and Port# 8060

I unhooked the Roku from the router and hooked it back to the TV, but now it isn't showing up under the routers Wireless or Wired Devices(obviously) anymore, and due to this I am also still unable to access the Roku using the DVP Remote.

:(
ViciousTwist

Postby gonzotek » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Because of the way the Roku networking software stack works, only one interface (wired or wireless) is active at a time. So while it is in the process of joining the wireless network(but not yet fully joined), it is not on the wired network nor does it yet have an IP address from the wireless network. Because of this, network remotes like DVPRemote and Remoku are unable to control the Roku in order to finish joining the wireless network. There is, unfortunately, no known workaround OTHER than using a normal IR remote at that point. Once the Roku has an address, network remotes can be used for every function except changing the network configuration (due to the above mentioned limitations of the Roku itself).

The Roku developers have been notified by the author of DVPRemote (and others) about this limitation. As far as I know, there's no (announced) plans to change how this works. :(
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby ViciousTwist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 pm

gonzotek wrote:Because of the way the Roku networking software stack works, only one interface (wired or wireless) is active at a time. So while it is in the process of joining the wireless network(but not yet fully joined), it is not on the wired network nor does it yet have an IP address from the wireless network. Because of this, network remotes like DVPRemote and Remoku are unable to control the Roku in order to finish joining the wireless network. There is, unfortunately, no known workaround OTHER than using a normal IR remote at that point. Once the Roku has an address, network remotes can be used for every function except changing the network configuration (due to the above mentioned limitations of the Roku itself).

The Roku developers have been notified by the author of DVPRemote (and others) about this limitation. As far as I know, there's no (announced) plans to change how this works. :(

Ahhh... that answers a lot of questions. Thank you gonzotek!
I "grab and go" a lot with my Roku when I want to watch a movie at a friends house etc, and the ability to join and save multiple WiFi connections with the Roku, like a laptop or a phone/tablet/mobile device - would help fix this problem.

Thanks again,
ViciousTwist
ViciousTwist

Postby pirey4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:47 pm

ViciousTwist wrote:
gonzotek wrote:Because of the way the Roku networking software stack works, only one interface (wired or wireless) is active at a time. So while it is in the process of joining the wireless network(but not yet fully joined), it is not on the wired network nor does it yet have an IP address from the wireless network. Because of this, network remotes like DVPRemote and Remoku are unable to control the Roku in order to finish joining the wireless network. There is, unfortunately, no known workaround OTHER than using a normal IR remote at that point. Once the Roku has an address, network remotes can be used for every function except changing the network configuration (due to the above mentioned limitations of the Roku itself).

Ahhh... that answers a lot of questions. Thank you gonzotek!
I "grab and go" a lot with my Roku when I want to watch a movie at a friends house etc, and the ability to join and save multiple WiFi connections with the Roku, like a laptop or a phone/tablet/mobile device - would help fix this problem.

Thanks again,
ViciousTwist

Gonzotek provided an excellent description of the situation. Also, take a look at my support web page (http://dvpremote.claytongrafix.com/apps/DVPRemote_-_Support.html) in the section entitled "But what if I can't use my infrared remote". The site has a table that shows the conditions under which you can use a remote that uses the External Control Protocol like DVPRemote, what you need to use it given the conditions, and when you will not be able to use this type of remote.

Thanks,

phil
Last edited by pirey4 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pirey4

Postby fluke » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm

There are several things that Roku could do to greatly improve the customer experience regarding Wifi and remote control use of the Roku:

1) Keep more than one Wifi configuration profile and automatically use any Wifi with a matching SSID in any of the saved profiles. For example, the Nintendo Wii keeps two Wifi configuration profiles which makes it easier to move the Wii. The Roku needs it's Wifi re-setup each time it moves between access points even if it was a AP it had previously connected to.

2) Support an established IR code already available on most universal remotes as an alternative remote option (such as the well established Philips RC5 IR protocol).

3) If the Roku has USB then it should support using a USB keyboard as a remote (including for configuring Wifi)

4) Also, if the Roku has USB then allow Wifi configuration using a USB flash drive with a specially formatted XML file

5) Roku should support setting static IP configuration instead of assuming the

6) Roku should stop assuming the default gateway supports ICMP based ping. ARP based ping should be enough to confirm conductivity to the default gateway. This may also increase the number of APs that will work with Roku.
fluke

Postby pirey4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 pm

fluke wrote:There are several things that Roku could do to greatly improve the customer experience regarding Wifi and remote control use of the Roku:

1) Keep more than one Wifi configuration profile and automatically use any Wifi with a matching SSID in any of the saved profiles. For example, the Nintendo Wii keeps two Wifi configuration profiles which makes it easier to move the Wii. The Roku needs it's Wifi re-setup each time it moves between access points even if it was a AP it had previously connected to.

2) Support an established IR code already available on most universal remotes as an alternative remote option (such as the well established Philips RC5 IR protocol).

3) If the Roku has USB then it should support using a USB keyboard as a remote (including for configuring Wifi)

4) Also, if the Roku has USB then allow Wifi configuration using a USB flash drive with a specially formatted XML file

5) Roku should support setting static IP configuration instead of assuming the

6) Roku should stop assuming the default gateway supports ICMP based ping. ARP based ping should be enough to confirm conductivity to the default gateway. This may also increase the number of APs that will work with Roku.

Is the end of 5) something like "...use of DHCP will always be acceptable." ?
pirey4

Postby austin_vogler » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:15 pm

If you are setting up a new wireless router it is possible to run the old router and the new at the same time without actually hooking up to the internet. You can then use the downloaded roku remote app to change from the old network to the new one. I had to do this because my roku has no usb or ethernet connection.
austin_vogler

Postby Elijah_Baley » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:32 pm

austin_vogler wrote:If you are setting up a new wireless router it is possible to run the old router and the new at the same time without actually hooking up to the internet. You can then use the downloaded roku remote app to change from the old network to the new one. I had to do this because my roku has no usb or ethernet connection.

Or you can just set the security in the new router to exactly what the old one had. Password SSID etc. and then your Roku should be able to connect without issue.

Never make anything harder or more complex that it needs to be.
Roku 3 Wired-Roku 2 XS Wired

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
James Branch Cabell
Elijah_Baley

Postby kc8pql » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Note that until today, the last post in this thread is from 2010.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion